PDA

View Full Version : Steak Marinade

Pee_Sack
05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey guys I am cooking a steak dinner on Saturday night, and I am looking for a good marinade for the steaks.

Usually I just use the club house premade marinade in the bottle and just rub that on, but I wanna try something new.

If any of you guys have a good recipe for marinade that would be aweosme. Thank you.

Also if you have any good recipes for a side dish that would be good.

I am thinking Steak, corn on the cob and a salad.

jdmakkord
05-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Montreal steak spice rub, its a paste that you spread on, give em a day in the fridge, and enjoy. You should find it near the bbq sauces and stuff.

Pee_Sack
05-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah, that is what I use now, but I want to try something new, something that I hafta mix up on my own.

But the steak spice is DAMN good.

sputnik
05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Get good quality steaks and you dont need to marinate them.

Just get them to room temperature, season them with Club House Montreal Steak Spice and toss them on the grill.

joyridder
05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
BEER! then the steak rub is the best way to go...
I try and sear both sides then reapply for a extra spicy taste...

legendboy
05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
no no no this is what you do ftw!

first, start out with a nice rib steak, rib eye, porterhouse. forget top sirloin or any thick rare cut. also, forget safeway for steak, try coop.

mix in bowl:

-75% china lilly soya
-25% worcestershire
-lots of garlic powder
-loads of cracked black pepper
-couple shakes of tabasco (more for more steaks)
-pinch of taragon (more for more steaks)
-1/2 tea spoon of pesto paste (more for more steaks)

http://www.iavaronebros.com/Merchant2/graphics/sf/sf68.jpg

-1/4 tea spoon sambal (more for more steaks)

http://www.pacificrimgourmet.com/images/photos/24463-06107.jpg

marinade for a couple hours flipping every half an hour

grill on super heated grill to get a decient char on the outside but watch it closely because the fat will ignight! i keep a spray bottle with water becide the grill at all times.

i can almost guarantee you will never eat steak any other way again after this!

Pee_Sack
05-25-2006, 10:27 AM
awesome!

I will see if I can find that pesto and sambal

anyone else with sugestions

USED
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
A good steak only needs salt & pepper!

legendboy
05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
if you skip the pesto and chili it will still be good :thumbsup:

sputnik
05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by legendboy

first, start out with a nice rib steak, rib eye, porterhouse.

Marinating those steaks is a waste of money IMO. Those steaks are just fine grilled as is. You would NEVER get a cut like that marinated at ANY steak house.

Traditionally marinades are designed to flavour and tenderize cheaper cuts of meat. Porterhouses, Tenderloins and Rib Eyes dont need to be marinated at all, just seasoned at room temperature and thrown on the grill. If you still insist on that flavour I would just stick with a baseball cut sirloin or even a top sirloin. Its a clean cut of meat, much cheaper and will tenderize quite nicely in that marinade.

Pee_Sack
05-25-2006, 10:39 AM
thanks for the help guys, keep the info comming

sputnik
05-25-2006, 10:41 AM
BTW - If you want kickass corn on the cob. Remove the husks/silk wrap the corn in bacon (with toothpicks holding the bacon on) and BBQ it.

Just a word of warning though. Corn on the cob isnt exactly in season right now so you may be getting older "winter storage" corn which wont be as nice. Perhaps you could try marinated grilled red peppers, portabello mushrooms or asparagus.

legendboy
05-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Marinating those steaks is a waste of money IMO. Those steaks are just fine grilled as is. You would NEVER get a cut like that marinated at ANY steak house.

Traditionally marinades are designed to flavour and tenderize cheaper cuts of meat. Porterhouses, Tenderloins and Rib Eyes dont need to be marinated at all, just seasoned at room temperature and thrown on the grill. If you still insist on that flavour I would just stick with a baseball cut sirloin or even a top sirloin. Its a clean cut of meat, much cheaper and will tenderize quite nicely in that marinade.

maybe thats why i prefer my steak to any resturant in the city?

don't knock it till you try it

doublepostwhore
05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Twice baked potatoes ftw on a side dish.

Roast whole potatoes (not skined) nice larger potatoes, russets work the best for their higher starch content on a bake tray 425 for 45 minutes.

When they are done baking them, take them off the tray and half them length wise, scoop out the potato, keeping about 1/4 - 1.8" of the potato in the skin.

Take the now scooped potato and in a stand mmixer (kitchen-aid like) with the paddle, put the potato in and depending on how many potatoes you make accordingly add 1/2-1 cup of half and half, chives, parsley, garlic paste, corriander, chopped green chili (minced) and of course salt and pepper to taste.

If you feel artsy fill a piping bag with the mixture, if not then just spoon it in after having whipped for a MINIMUM of 15 minutes, fill the shells with the mixture, on a bake tray cover with foil and slap them on the low heat side of yar grill for 15 minutes right before serving time.

Best side dish ever if you have about 1.5 hrs to kill.

I always make my own rubs, store bought no matter how good it is, is also rather pricey and very simple to make.

Start with 3 table spoons of tomato paste (obviously more the more steaks you have)
then add any assortement of DRIED herbs to the paste keeping in mind the stronger the flavor the LESS of it you need.

Parsely is realitively neutral in comparison to say thyme, and basil is less intense then taragon, its all about taste, try them all. Personally I like to do equal parts parsely to corriander, adding 1/4 the amount of thyme (for that earthy kind of flavor) and then an assortement of chilli powders/pastes and of course a touch of E.I with garama masala, chili powder, chili flakes.

Mix it, and it should resemble bondo but kind of course nmot that color. Rubs are dryer then marinades and are ment to glue to the meat so dont be afraid to really push it into the meat.

NEVER PUT SALT INTO YOUR MARINADES LIKE ACTUAL GRANULES, it drains all the liquid from the meat, and unless you marinate for 16+ hrs water doesnt get re absorbed.

DeeK
05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

first, start out with a nice rib steak, rib eye, porterhouse. forget top sirloin or any thick rare cut. also, forget safeway for steak, try coop.

mix in bowl:

-75% china lilly soya
-25% worcestershire
-lots of garlic powder
-pinch of taragon (more for more steaks)
-1/2 tea spoon of pesto paste (more for more steaks)
-1/4 tea spoon sambal (more for more steaks)

marinade for a couple hours flipping every half an hour

grill on super heated grill to get a decient char on the outside but watch it closely because the fat will ignight! i keep a spray bottle with water becide the grill at all times.

i can almost guarantee you will never eat steak any other way again after this!

this is what I do, except I do 50% soya, 30% worchestire, and 20% vinegar. the vinegar breaks the meat down so much that you can pull it apart with a fork. I dont use the taragon, pesto, or sambal... The best part about this marinate is, as long as you dont leave it for more than 2 hours, you wont get any of the vinegar, soya, worchestire taste, the only purpose it serves is to make the meat ridiculously tender.

When I cook it tho, I have a special sauce(secret recipe) that i cover my steaks in. makes them AMAZING. and montreal steack spice is GOOD :)

3g4me
05-25-2006, 01:25 PM
I like using maui rib sauce to marinade with a little bulls eye BBQ sauce mixed up. Its pretty good and i have had lots of compliments from people who have tried it.:thumbsup:

nonlinear
05-25-2006, 01:51 PM

Just get them to room temperature, season them with Club House Montreal Steak Spice and toss them on the grill.

Exactly :thumbsup:

legendboy
05-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

this is what I do, except I do 50% soya, 30% worchestire, and 20% vinegar. the vinegar breaks the meat down so much that you can pull it apart with a fork. I dont use the taragon, pesto, or sambal... The best part about this marinate is, as long as you dont leave it for more than 2 hours, you wont get any of the vinegar, soya, worchestire taste, the only purpose it serves is to make the meat ridiculously tender.

When I cook it tho, I have a special sauce(secret recipe) that i cover my steaks in. makes them AMAZING. and montreal steack spice is GOOD :)

try the taragon man, it brings the whole thing together :thumbsup:

Pee_Sack
05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
mmm ok i think im gonna hafta try one of these

I think it will be the legendboy one without the paste, I might get some other kind of chili

is there anything that is comparable to the paste that I might be able to find?

legendboy
05-25-2006, 02:39 PM
i don't think so, any grocery store has it

Pee_Sack
05-25-2006, 02:42 PM
ok ill try and find it

what kinda taste is it, will I be able to use it in other recipies?

legendboy
05-25-2006, 02:53 PM
oh man pesto is some good shit, i cook with it all the time, very good with stuffed tomatoes, pizza, sandwiches, pasta...etc...

szw
05-26-2006, 02:42 AM
Those marinades sound good, but as others said i would stick to cheaper cuts of meat if that is what you want to do. On better cuts, it will still taste good, but you aren't really enjoying the taste of the quality meat that you have.

And yeah, pesto is great to have around the kitchen.

eb0i
05-26-2006, 08:46 AM

this is the way to go with a good quality steak:thumbsup:

for sides you can do up some nice grilled vegetables.

Get zuchinni, peppers (whatever colours you like), mushrooms. Cut them into big chunks toss in a bowl with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, put some salt and crack pepper in and then toss them on the grill....:drool:

DeeK
05-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by szw
Those marinades sound good, but as others said i would stick to cheaper cuts of meat if that is what you want to do. On better cuts, it will still taste good, but you aren't really enjoying the taste of the quality meat that you have.

As I said, with the marinade I make, as long as I don't leave it marinading for more than a few hours, you don't get much, if any of the marinade taste.

And marinade is great for bad cuts of meat, but even better for good cuts. When you can pull apart a chunk of steak in your mouth with your tongue, you know it's been done right.

freshprince
05-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Best marinade ever:

60% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
40% Soy Sauce
2 large cloves of Garlic (none of this powder crap)
Sliced Fresh Ginger Root (a chunk the size of a golf ball)

Marinade for at least 2 hours, 6 hours for best results, use a nice thick steak, cook to medium and enjoy!

Add a little Montreal Steak Spice, but not too much, you'll want to enjoy the flavour of the marinade. The Olive oil helps to tenderize the meat and allows the marinade to sink in really deep.

Serve with bbq-d zuccinni and fried browm mushrooms in olive oil and real garlic....whooooh baby.

BebeAphrodite
05-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I like the Montreal Steak Spice.
I'm not big on steaks that have soya sauce based marinades.

Jimmy99
05-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Anyone try Soya Sauce & Olive Oil?? Marinate your steaks in that and cook em up. :eek: :drool:

pinoyhero
05-27-2006, 05:17 PM
If your gonna soak in marinade the secret ingredient is SPRITE baby!

Ben
05-27-2006, 05:26 PM

:werd:

Thats exactly how I do mine, along with a brush of extra virgin olive oil.

Traffic_Cop
05-27-2006, 05:28 PM
You want quick, easy & tasty???

Try this, cover both sides of steak thoroughly using Hy's seasoning salt (can find at most grocery stores), then cover with dry ground mustard. Drizzle Olive oil on them, and let sit for about 1/2 an hour, then grill to your taste.

REALLY AWESOME!!!

Jimmy99
05-27-2006, 06:35 PM
That Hy's Steakhouse Cajun Seasoning is pretty damn good too!! :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
05-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned but you can get the pesto and the sambal stuff you can get at SuperStore

b_t
05-27-2006, 07:46 PM
CORONA
Not really a marinade, but it makes it taste so damn good.

TurboMedic
05-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Sambal is great stuff for all sorts of dishes......Anyways, I just wanted to add, someone mentioned Vinegar makes steak very tender, I agree, and you could also use Vodka, Rye, etc. in your marinades, the alcohol breaks down the met a bit too making it very tender....I use it in all my cheap steaks marinade...

Lilac Wine
06-05-2006, 03:43 AM
yeah I saw the sambal stuff in the asian section of the superstore.
You can also add lemon or lime juice to marinades to make the meat more tender.

DeeK
06-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Hmm... I think im gonna do this tonight.... Pick up a bunch of steaks, put ONE in each of the marinades listed above, (or other ways to cook a steak) and see which one is best...

I'll have to print off these recipes.... :)

pyro
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
im gonna try one of these tonight, they sound good... i usally just marinade mine in some jack daniels and montreal spice. :thumbsup:

Pee_Sack
06-06-2006, 09:04 AM
I tried

Twice baked potatoes ftw on a side dish.

Roast whole potatoes (not skined) nice larger potatoes, russets work the best for their higher starch content on a bake tray 425 for 45 minutes.

When they are done baking them, take them off the tray and half them length wise, scoop out the potato, keeping about 1/4 - 1.8" of the potato in the skin.

Take the now scooped potato and in a stand mmixer (kitchen-aid like) with the paddle, put the potato in and depending on how many potatoes you make accordingly add 1/2-1 cup of half and half, chives, parsley, garlic paste, corriander, chopped green chili (minced) and of course salt and pepper to taste.

If you feel artsy fill a piping bag with the mixture, if not then just spoon it in after having whipped for a MINIMUM of 15 minutes, fill the shells with the mixture, on a bake tray cover with foil and slap them on the low heat side of yar grill for 15 minutes right before serving time.

This was really good. I added bacon and used real garlic in the potato mixture and also put a bit of shreded cheese on top when they went on the bar-b-que, and man were they ever good.

-50% china lilly soya
-30% worcestershire
-20% Vinegar
-clove of garlic
- couple other spices

my marinade was a mixture of everything I read on here. It was SOOOO good, I let them sit for 2 hours, flipping every half hour. The only thing that my guests mentioned was it was really salty, to much soya sauce, what can I do to counter act that? Less Soya and more Vinegar?

Thank you everyone for your good suggestions, it really helped me a lot.

DeeK
06-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack
The only thing that my guests mentioned was it was really salty, to much soya sauce, what can I do to counter act that? Less Soya and more Vinegar?

Well China lily is one of the saltiest brands of soya out there.. Try using a lighter soya, like kikkoman, or golden dragon light soya.

Crymson
06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
My absolute favorite steak marinade is simply Oyster sauce, and 2-3 spoonfulls of minced or crushed garlic (you can get it in a jar). Maybey add some lemon if you're "zesty"

then fry up some mushrooms in butter, and you've got a feast on your hands.

Screw salad or potatos, just have 2 steaks.

DeeK
06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
^^ that sounds so different it almost sounds good, I'ma have to try that.

Crymson
06-09-2006, 12:03 AM
you'll be amazed! Just make sure you have it on for at least an hour or two, its a marinade, not a sauce. Burns and chars easily on the bbq if you slather it on.