PDA

View Full Version : Which polisher would you recommend

Ricardo007
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
In the past, I simply have hand waxed my black Maxima with Meguires paste wax.
Now, I want to purchase an electric polisher and apply some sort of multi step system, perhaps Megs 1, 2, 3 step.
What do you recommend for home use for the polisher and supplies.
Thanks,
Ricardo.

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
I would reccomend the Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Random Orbital Polisher. You could go with a circular polisher, but unless you know what your doing you will burn through your paint, and you said it is for home use and sounds like you would like to do some waxing with it too, so this should stisfy you best. It will do 90% of what a circular polisher will do without letting you burn through your paint.

I would reccomend Menzerna polishes and products. They are made in germany and consistently get the highest reviews and win comparison tests. You should invest in the following polishes if you want to do it completely:

Menzerna Intensive Polish
Menzerna Final Polish II
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze
Menzerna FMJ (Full Molecular Jacket) - To be used in place of wax
Menzerna Acrylic Sheild (To be used for FMJ upkeep)

For compounding (Intensive Polish) you will need a yellow (most cut), orange (medium cut) or white pad (medium cut). For final polishing (Final Polish II) you will need a white pad. For the glaze you will need a black pad, and for applying the FMJ or any wax you will need a red pad. The red and black pads have no cutting power, and are used for waxing/glazing.

Any more questions just post or PM.

Mark

KKY
05-25-2006, 11:54 AM
+1 for Porter Cable Dual Action Random Orbital Polisher 7242 or 7336. I have the 7336, only difference appearently is the counter weight.

Would also recommand the Menzerna line. Although i've never had the pleasure to try it myself, i've heard a lot of good stuffs about it.

With a black car, you'd probably need more than Megs 1, 2, 3. they don't do much to get rid of scratches and swirls. They just hide them, and when they wear off, scratches and swirls come back.

You can also check out Poorboy's SSR line for swirl removal and the Klasse twins for cleaning and sealing.

I'm using Meg's #80 and #83 for polish with pretty nice results. good thing about them is they're locally available.

Ricardo007
05-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
What is the best Canadian price for the Porter Cable 7424 ?
Ricardo.

TimG
05-25-2006, 12:13 PM
www.eshine.ca

teggypimp95
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM
other than the polisher, go to the car salon on 32nd. they have all the meguires professional line and clothes and buffing pads u could need. tons of great products there. I just did a polish on my car, used meguires clay bar system ( a must) then meguires #9 swirl remover, then meguires gold class to top it off, it worked awesome and i did it all by hand, the results would be even better if u used a polisher.

TimG
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

For compounding (Intensive Polish) you will need a yellow (most cut), orange (medium cut) or white pad (medium cut). For final polishing (Final Polish II) you will need a white pad. For the glaze you will need a black pad, and for applying the FMJ or any wax you will need a red pad. The red and black pads have no cutting power, and are used for waxing/glazing.

You have to be a bit careful with the colours are not standard from company to company.

Those colours are for Lake County pads. Meguiars pads are coloured differently depending on aggressiveness

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Ricardo007
Thanks for the suggestions.
What is the best Canadian price for the Porter Cable 7424 ?
Ricardo.

Their $119 in the states, and exchange is VERY good right now.

Mark

kaput
05-25-2006, 01:19 PM

Bonka
05-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Lowe's in the states has it for $109USD.

Both EShine and CCS has it for $170CAD shipped.

Don't waste your time with Meg's 1-3. For OTC products, use Meg's #9 (or DACP #83 first if REALLY bad). Follow up with a wax of your choice.

The Maxima's clearcoat is fairly easy to work with you don't need something too aggressive nor feel the need to use a polish with fillers in them.

KKY
05-25-2006, 08:13 PM
car salon didn't have the more abrasive polish when i went there. not even #9. I ended up finding #80 at NAPA.

If you have connections, definately get the PC from Lowe's in the states. I was going to do that, but just couldn't wait, so i got mine from carcaresmart.

Bonka
05-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Really? Do you guys have Lordco in Calgary? They stock a broad line of the Meg's taupe bottles.

Menzerna, unless you can get it locally you'll have to order from the states. Unless you buy them in at least 32oz bottles the value isn't really there considering the cost of shipping and depending on the distributor, the cost of duties if they don't use USPS.

Poorboy's SSR series is great and also, a lesser known brand called Optimum makes a fantastic line of polishes and compounds. I bought their entire series from EShine. Only $20 each ($60 for the set) for the 32oz bottles.

TimG
05-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Poorboy's SSR series are great. I also love the fact that you can use them in direct sunlight. I don't know if you can do that with Optimum or not.

Bonka
05-26-2006, 05:09 PM
You can with the Optimum stuff. They are known not to dust very much.