PDA

View Full Version : Canon to stop film camera production - Maybe.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-25-2006, 12:07 PM
It's a sooner-or-later thing, I guess:

Canon, a company long associated with all kinds of photography, may become the next player to abandon the shrinking film photo business. While Canon says it has yet to make a firm decision, a spokesman said the company is considering whether it makes sense to continue producing cameras for the film market. Canon's potential withdrawal from the film business would follow a similar decision by arch-rival Nikon, which dropped production of all but one of its film cameras earlier this year. For now Canon says it will continue to support existing models, but you may just want to stock up on glass for that EOS before they change their mind.
Source: EnGadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/25/canon-may-quit-film-camera-business/)

DJ Lazy
05-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Thats quite the statement. I'm sure there are gonna be a few disappointed photographers..

3g4me
05-26-2006, 04:35 PM
I think this is a poor decision, there are still lots of film photographers even with the sudden explosion of digital technology. Also i believe that nothing comes close to the clarity of film especially night photography/Black and white as well. IMO.

Ben
05-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me
I think this is a poor decision, there are still lots of film photographers even with the sudden explosion of digital technology. Also i believe that nothing comes close to the clarity of film especially night photography/Black and white as well. IMO.

I disagree. My night/long exposure shots are clear clear clear. There is absolutly ZERO grain on any of them. My film cameras often had these issues, unless you go out and blow rediculous coin on top end film.

Digital FTW!

This is of course null and void if you're shooting with non D-SLR/Point and Shoot gear where night photos are ass.

3g4me
05-29-2006, 08:31 AM
No i shoot SLR and DSLR. I dunno i think that film just looks alot better in black and white and night photography.:dunno: :D