PDA

View Full Version : How to quiet down my car?

variable_x
05-25-2006, 01:47 PM
I have got a magna flow muffler with 2 1/4 inch piping on my teg with a silencer, but the thing is still too loud for my taste. What can I do quiet down my muffler without reinstalling a stock muffler? I heard that increasing the length of the silencer will make the exhaust quieter. Is that true?

Thanks for the response.

Aleks
05-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Do you have a catalytic converter in there?

Cat + Big resonator in the piping makes a huge difference.

DeeK
05-25-2006, 01:53 PM
A catalytic converter will quiet it down. A pre-silencer or resonator will always quiet it down. And both will make it much more quiet.

I had the same problems in one of my cars. I bought a 96 golf off some guy that had a straight pipe with a HUGE muffler on it. The thing seriously sounded like my VCR on 'roids. Just like every other ricer type-vcr out there. All it needed was a resonator, which I picked up for $73, and it made all the difference in the world.

Other than that, that was the best most reliable car I have ever owned.

Also, my brothers RX-7 has a Racing beat exhaust system. It has a catalytic converter, TWO silencers, then a muffler on each of the rear pipes. It sounds REALLY amazing. super quiet when he needs it to be, but when he revs it up the thing screams with power! AWESOME

variable_x
05-25-2006, 01:56 PM
I do have a stock cat on there. I also believe there is a resonator. Would adding a second resonator help? Or increasing the lenght of the silencer? The problem is that my car is slow as hell but when I accelerate, it seems like I am racing. It's really bothering me.

Zephyr
05-25-2006, 01:58 PM
go back to stock

JspecB16
05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
adding a second resinator will help for sure. my exhaust was wayyyy to loud so I bought a second, 18" res, and it helped a lot

FatboyTheHungry
05-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Sounds to me like you just have the wrong choice of exhaust for your taste..

variable_x
05-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry
Sounds to me like you just have the wrong choice of exhaust for your taste..

I think I am just getting old. The 'sporty' exhaust sound no long thrills me. Instead, it's giving me headache.

rc2002
05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Haha. Welcome to the club. I find that Magnaflow is always loud. Throw a stock exhaust on there or an Apexi WS if you want to quiet it down. Another (or a bigger) resonator won't do all that much if you already have a cat and resonator there.

DeeK
05-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Yea, if you have a cat and a resonator already, try going with a different type of muffler, or back to stock.

Mitsu3000gt
05-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Go back to stock, aftermarket exhausts on small 4cyl motors don't add any sort of noticable HP anyways.

Mark

CalgarySupra
05-27-2006, 08:30 PM
i purchased the top full exhust system HKS for a supra turbo. 3inch from turbo to the muffler tip. sound was too deep. not loud but deep. its the only exhust that sounds good. so i put the oringal TOYOTA muffler but left the rest. didnt even loose preformance. its just sick what people are putting for mufflers, if your engine sounds good dont put a louder muffler even though sometiems teh muffler is the voice of the engine. this HKS was but too deep.