View Full Version : street racing now a criminal offence

Pages : [1] 2

afrotl
05-25-2006, 03:11 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/05/25/streetracing.html

Tories to criminalize street racing
Last Updated Thu, 25 May 2006 16:21:28 EDT
CBC News
The federal government is cracking down on street racing by making it a criminal offence, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Thursday.

With their muscle cars, these people are drag racing along streets in defiance of the law. (Canadian Press)

FROM JAN. 30, 2006: Vancouver crash was street race: police

Harper said his government will introduce a bill that results in tougher sentences, including driving prohibitions for those convicted.

Currently, there is no law that specifically targets street racing. If someone is injured or killed during street racing, four offences under the Criminal Code could apply:

Criminal negligence causing death.
Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.
Criminal negligence causing bodily harm.
Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm.
Harper made the announcement in British Columbia, where street racing has led to several deaths.

The prime minister said the legislation was inspired by a private member's bill drafted by the late Chuck Cadman, who was the MP for Surrey-North.

"These are measures that are very much in line with Chuck's private member's bill, because just like him and so many other tireless advocates, our government is committed to making our streets safer."

Harper said he consulted Cadman's widow, Donna, before making the announcement. He expects the bill to be introduce in mid-June.

khojaman
05-25-2006, 03:20 PM
I am not suprised. its all true

Envitro
05-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Street racing is fucking gay to begin with, so I'm fine with this. However, I'm hoping that they don't use this as an excuse to crack down on people that drive modded cars, etc., when they do nothing wrong.

rage2
05-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Good and bad....

Good that street racing is finally targetted, and being a criminal charge, would make people think twice before organizing a street race. Having a lawyer defend you in court will cost at least $2k, more if it goes to trial.

Bad in that it could be abused. A few years ago I was in a friend's car, cruising with another car. Both were pretty powerful cars, and both took off from a light fairly quickly, but nowhere near full throttle up to the speed limit. Wasn't even loud or anything. Unmarked cop pulled the 2 cars over, slapped both drivers with Racing tickets which was thrown out as they never went over speed limit... just 0-80km/h at a good pace. If it was to be a criminal charge, it would've costed a LOT more money defending it.

I personally have been slapped with a 6 demerit racing ticket years ago on Crowchild, 2 cars cruise control on at 110 (30 over limit). I was pulled over and was told I was racing the other guy. Cop grilled me on who the other driver was, I told him it was just someone driving at the same speed as me, I had no clue who the hell it was. It got reduced to a 20 over ticket.

Toma
05-25-2006, 03:35 PM
And NOW, I just wont pull over ;) They can work harder for the charge....

2002civic
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Toma
yea thats a great idea:rolleyes: they have your liscence plate so theyll find you later

Toma
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic

yea thats a great idea:rolleyes: they have your liscence plate so theyll find you later
Buddy.... I've outrun the helicopter twice.... a cruiser is no problem ;) :poosie:

rage2
05-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
Have you tried reading off a plate of a car flying past you? It's not very easy. I too have outrun cops many times, but before HAWCS1 was introduced. Toma's hardcore if he can outrun the helicopter lol.

afrotl
05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
hope you are joking...cos when they get you they will rough you up and then lay more charges than they originally intended

BoS_DC2
05-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Buddy.... I've outrun the helicopter twice.... a cruiser is no problem ;) :poosie:

must be an adrenaline rush.. ! :nut:

Clanche
05-25-2006, 04:04 PM
This law is going to get abused. Imagine trying to defend yourself in court from criminal charges because some cop didn't like the size of your exhaust and decided to lay an easy one on you.

Although I don't agree with street racing I think that cops are too baised towards the tuning scene already to be giving that kind of power.

95EagleAWD
05-25-2006, 04:09 PM

Karma's a bitch...

But kudos to deking the chopper.

illeagle
05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
hahaha, geez toma... it's not "out running" when they aren't even chasing you. :nut:

nadroj23
05-25-2006, 04:22 PM
yeah i dont know about this just like rage said good and bad, they are goin to target the modded car scene more. so if i speed say 10 over and another car beside me is goin 10 over that considered racing??? that doesnt make sense to me hows about we put cops on crowchild where the speedlimit some how changed wihtout the signs to 100. i havent been stuck behind somebody goin less then 100 on crowchild in months.....but i do agree with them targeting street racing as a whole. but everybody is right in saying that whos to say what street racing is and what it isnt........the cops????? i dont like the idea of putting the power in theirs hands to decided whats street racing and what isnt.

CrvenaZvezda
05-25-2006, 04:25 PM
so now they have even more power to abuse us about our fuckin exhausts and blue lights... fuckin great!!!

jdmakkord
05-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda
so now they have even more power to abuse us about our fuckin exhausts and blue lights... fuckin great!!!

All the better reason not to rice out your car then :rolleyes:

95EagleAWD
05-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23
i dont like the idea of putting the power in theirs hands to decided whats street racing and what isnt.

Who's would you like it in then? Cops make discretionary calls every day.

Toma
05-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
hahaha, geez toma... it's not "out running" when they aren't even chasing you. :nut:
LOL....nothing like being in the top end of a race, and then suddenly its like daylight outside lol...

90s_tuner
05-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Its going to be great when I'm stopped at a light beside some fag that races off but I get in shit because I take off normally and hes too far away to catch so the cop goes after me. :rolleyes:

Tech2
05-25-2006, 10:32 PM

lol!

I'm starting to appreciate the way Toma lightens up threads!

And I used to take those comments to heart!

tsi_neal
05-25-2006, 10:58 PM
this reminds me of a few times i was driving "quickly" and people have tried to catch up. In the end i usually slow down because speeding on my own is one thing but when another car is in chase it looks pretty bad.

Ill gladly take the speeding ticket, but all of a sudden im gonna have to worry about some fuck that thinks i wanna race... and soon im gonna get charged criminally for it... pretty lame.

Maybe the moral here is to not excessivly speed :dunno:

Evro
05-25-2006, 11:15 PM
fuckin government - stickin their fingers in everything - notice how all the street racing deaths involve 2 people racing on a busy road or a highway, not at all like the organized streetraces - theres not much to see at the races and the tracks always a better idea but if someone wants to get races goin then they should be able too without having to worry about getting charged with a criminal offence

btw cant you just technically outrun the cop helicopter by drivin up deerfoot till you get nice and close to the airport? i thought them flying pigs arnt allowed to head over there

AllGoNoShow
05-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by afrotl

hope you are joking...cos when they get you they will rough you up and then lay more charges than they originally intended

Rough him up, get charges laid against them, whole thing gets dropped, and Toma is back out doing what he loves doing.

Not much in favour of a broad "Street Racing" law being put in effect, must have ground rules and must have something to compare against, 2 guys, taking off from a light swiftly, coming home from work, not racing... heading out sat nights with Toma and the rest of the uhh.... peoples ;).... and ORGANIZING the races, yes I could see that working fine.

All I see from this is bad thigns for the tuning scene in general.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Evro

btw cant you just technically outrun the cop helicopter by drivin up deerfoot till you get nice and close to the airport? i thought them flying pigs arnt allowed to head over there

Lol, where do you think they park those things?

They can get clearance from the tower, but yes it is possible to lose them if a plane is landing on runway 34, and your on mcknight, but you'd better ditch your car fast because they'll have cops up there quick, and the plane will land even quicker.

AllGoNoShow
05-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Just cause the plane lands doesn't mean he has immediate clearance to fly right behind it.... the airport is busy its not liek it sopen 24 hrs a day and only 1hr of it is tied up with planes in the air the helicopters can fly the other 23... doesn't work like that.

When there is a crowd it isn't hard to loose the helicopter, wait for him to look somewhere else with the light, hide or dart off somewhere, etc.... just ask Toma, I think I even saw one of the events

Evro
05-25-2006, 11:41 PM
i was thinkin make a run for the parkade and hope they dont find me - ur ideas not bad either though but i would never ditch my car haha as fun as it sounds i think i would probably stop .... unless of course i had NAWZ, then i could outrun anything, just like Paul Walker

DeeK
05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Who's would you like it in then? Cops make discretionary calls every day.

Preferably a service that isn't as corrupt as the CPS.

95EagleAWD
05-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

Preferably a service that isn't as corrupt as the CPS.

I live in Edmonton... don't even go there for corruption.

h_s
05-27-2006, 10:21 AM
i guess we know who streetraces and not now,

what is streetracing, 2 people lining up and racing?? because me and my friends drive like assholes all day everyday, often behind each other heading to a meeting spot or something, is that street racing??

QuasarCav
05-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by h_s
i guess we know who streetraces and not now,

what is streetracing, 2 people lining up and racing?? because me and my friends drive like assholes all day everyday, often behind each other heading to a meeting spot or something, is that street racing??

Yes

MudCrawler
05-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by h_s
because me and my friends drive like assholes all day everyday, often behind each other heading to a meeting spot or something, is that street racing??

You will learn quickly, that not everyone on this board appreciates this kind of shit by people like you on our way to work.;)

h_s
05-27-2006, 11:36 AM
ive learned, i have about a week and a half left on my liscense suspension, it sucks,

l8braker
05-27-2006, 11:47 AM
If people decide to race on the roads while there are other lives that could be harmed, toss them away. They don't need to be driving with the rest of us. Racing where there are no other people or property to be damaged but your own is a different story. The thing that's sketchy is "what is street racing?" Huge grey area. I'm sure there will be people who will accelerate a little hard off the line, corner tight, and get caught by one of the few hardcore jackoff rookie cops who are on some ego trip.

Z_Fan
05-27-2006, 12:00 PM

:rolleyes:

The radio will always be faster than any car you've got!

But, uhm, I know it is possible to outrun the helicopter. If ya know what I mean. :devil:

Z_Fan
05-27-2006, 12:18 PM
IMO, it would have to always involve two vehicles (minimum) they must always be side by each (in different lanes) - and they must always be exceeding the speed limit by 50km/H before it could or should ever be considered racing. Two cars taking off from a street light (no matter how fast they accelerate) shouldn't matter IMO if they never break the speed limit. If they squeal tires (and it's not hot or there is no gravel) I could see a stunting charge. But never street racing. There is something that is implied by "racing" and IMO, that means a very high rate of speed. Period. So, if high speed isn't involved, how can it be racing?

We have laws that cover violations up to 50km/H over the speed limit. So, "racing" should take effect once those laws are no longer applicable as the rate of speed is now truly dangerously high for the roadway.

Overall, I have no problem whatsoever with a street racing law. Because, well, I don't street race. But I would hate to get this kind of ticket simply because I have a very fast car and I take off from a light very quickly and accelerate to the posted speed limit.

Street racing should never be applicable, no matter what you are doing, if you are flying solo. If you are driving 300km/H down Deerfoot at 2AM, I don't care and it's not racing. Racing involves other people. Period. This is not racing.

I'm hopeful they take this law seriously, and use it when it applies and not take advantage of the law. It's a serious deal if it is a criminal charge. But I believe when people are killed, as the instances in Vancouver and on the Island, yeah, this is a big problem and the penalties need to be representative of that.

I'd also like to see the government spend some money with programs to help those who are addicted to street racing. You've heard it all before, but the government feels inclined to set up clinics to give drug addicts clean needles. They spend millions on programs to aid drug users and give them a clean and safe place to do what should be (and is) illegal. So, the government should step up, set aside a few million dollars a year to provide those addicted to street racing a safe place to carry out their business. The government should promote the program, pay the race track fees so everyone can go race, for free. I don't see the difference between this, and giving people clean needles to do drugs. If they can give clean needles to drug addicts, provide them a safe haven to shoot up, the government can definitely start a program to help get racing off the street, and on the tracks where it belongs.

Cherrypicker
05-27-2006, 03:36 PM

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

running in Ontario is very common. They are just going to make it more common now.

Davide
05-27-2006, 04:36 PM

Who's would you like it in then? Cops make discretionary calls every day. so if you happen to get pulled over by a cop who is jealous that you got a better ride then him, slaps you with the fine and charges you criminally, you wouldn't mind it?. I mean i don't have a great car, but I've seen some that stick out of crowds and would make more then a few people jealous not to mention easy targets, its not that fair

isn't there a cop shop close to where you guys hold meets? chinook? when this law passes, I'd be careful to not leave the parking lot at the same time, you know, I'd hate to see someone get pulled over and charged criminally by some cop having a bad day:thumbsdow

DayGlow
05-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Davide
so if you happen to get pulled over by a cop who is jealous that you got a better ride then him, slaps you with the fine and charges you criminally, you wouldn't mind it?. I mean i don't have a great car, but I've seen some that stick out of crowds and would make more then a few people jealous not to mention easy targets, its not that fair

isn't there a cop shop close to where you guys hold meets? chinook? when this law passes, I'd be careful to not leave the parking lot at the same time, you know, I'd hate to see someone get pulled over and charged criminally by some cop having a bad day:thumbsdow

if cops are as petty and assholish as you and others seem to think, do you really think that a new law is needed to punish you? I mean if the cops are going to make something up, they don't need a new law to do it. :rolleyes:

googe
05-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

if cops are as petty and assholish as you and others seem to think, do you really think that a new law is needed to punish you? I mean if the cops are going to make something up, they don't need a new law to do it. :rolleyes:

Yes, because before it would just be 6 demerits, which was bad enough. Now youre a criminal.

A friend of mine on this board was at some lights down town in his car and dude in a camaro was beside him giving him the nod. Light turns green and the camaro speeds off like a jackass. For all 80 ft, cause its downtown and you cant get far anyway. Cop pulls my friend over and gives him a dangerous driving ticket and a street racing ticket. He didnt even rev his engine, accelerate, or acknowledge the guy in the camaro.

This isnt totally rare, rage described a similar scenario.

Fortunately the cop filled out the tickets completely wrong, so when he went to fight it the JP said it wasnt even valid and will be thrown out (Makes you wonder how many people that dont know their rights/dont have time to waste a day at court end up paying for tickets that were completely false).

Now under the new scenario its criminal charge and he needs to hire a defense lawyer. How fucked is that?

googe
05-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

When there is a crowd it isn't hard to loose the helicopter, wait for him to look somewhere else with the light, hide or dart off somewhere, etc.... just ask Toma, I think I even saw one of the events

careful though, they do have IR :) cars that were just turned off and human bodies are both pretty warm

Davide
05-27-2006, 07:35 PM

if cops are as petty and assholish as you and others seem to think, do you really think that a new law is needed to punish you? I mean if the cops are going to make something up, they don't need a new law to do it. :rolleyes: ya some cops are petty and assholish, not all but there are a few. Getting a ticket and being fined for nothing was bad but now we get a criminal record thats what I don't like, thats all I'm saying

95EagleAWD
05-28-2006, 12:46 AM
It's pretty simple the way I see it.

Don't street race, and this law isn't a problem.

:thumbsup:

googe
05-28-2006, 01:00 AM
It's pretty simple the way I see it.

Don't street race, and this law isn't a problem.

:thumbsup:

Way to read the thread. Here, maybe you missed these:

Originally posted by rage2
Good and bad....

Good that street racing is finally targetted, and being a criminal charge, would make people think twice before organizing a street race. Having a lawyer defend you in court will cost at least $2k, more if it goes to trial.

Bad in that it could be abused. A few years ago I was in a friend's car, cruising with another car. Both were pretty powerful cars, and both took off from a light fairly quickly, but nowhere near full throttle up to the speed limit. Wasn't even loud or anything. Unmarked cop pulled the 2 cars over, slapped both drivers with Racing tickets which was thrown out as they never went over speed limit... just 0-80km/h at a good pace. If it was to be a criminal charge, it would've costed a LOT more money defending it.

I personally have been slapped with a 6 demerit racing ticket years ago on Crowchild, 2 cars cruise control on at 110 (30 over limit). I was pulled over and was told I was racing the other guy. Cop grilled me on who the other driver was, I told him it was just someone driving at the same speed as me, I had no clue who the hell it was. It got reduced to a 20 over ticket.

Originally posted by Clanche
This law is going to get abused. Imagine trying to defend yourself in court from criminal charges because some cop didn't like the size of your exhaust and decided to lay an easy one on you.

Although I don't agree with street racing I think that cops are too baised towards the tuning scene already to be giving that kind of power.

Originally posted by nadroj23
yeah i dont know about this just like rage said good and bad, they are goin to target the modded car scene more. so if i speed say 10 over and another car beside me is goin 10 over that considered racing??? that doesnt make sense to me hows about we put cops on crowchild where the speedlimit some how changed wihtout the signs to 100. i havent been stuck behind somebody goin less then 100 on crowchild in months.....but i do agree with them targeting street racing as a whole. but everybody is right in saying that whos to say what street racing is and what it isnt........the cops????? i dont like the idea of putting the power in theirs hands to decided whats street racing and what isnt.

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda

Originally posted by 90s_tuner
Its going to be great when I'm stopped at a light beside some fag that races off but I get in shit because I take off normally and hes too far away to catch so the cop goes after me. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tsi_neal
this reminds me of a few times i was driving "quickly" and people have tried to catch up. In the end i usually slow down because speeding on my own is one thing but when another car is in chase it looks pretty bad.

Ill gladly take the speeding ticket, but all of a sudden im gonna have to worry about some fuck that thinks i wanna race... and soon im gonna get charged criminally for it... pretty lame.

Maybe the moral here is to not excessivly speed :dunno:

so if you happen to get pulled over by a cop who is jealous that you got a better ride then him, slaps you with the fine and charges you criminally, you wouldn't mind it?. I mean i don't have a great car, but I've seen some that stick out of crowds and would make more then a few people jealous not to mention easy targets, its not that fair

Originally posted by googe

Yes, because before it would just be 6 demerits, which was bad enough. Now youre a criminal.

A friend of mine on this board was at some lights down town in his car and dude in a camaro was beside him giving him the nod. Light turns green and the camaro speeds off like a jackass. For all 80 ft, cause its downtown and you cant get far anyway. Cop pulls my friend over and gives him a dangerous driving ticket and a street racing ticket. He didnt even rev his engine, accelerate, or acknowledge the guy in the camaro.

This isnt totally rare, rage described a similar scenario.

Fortunately the cop filled out the tickets completely wrong, so when he went to fight it the JP said it wasnt even valid and will be thrown out (Makes you wonder how many people that dont know their rights/dont have time to waste a day at court end up paying for tickets that were completely false).

Now under the new scenario its criminal charge and he needs to hire a defense lawyer. How fucked is that?

ya some cops are petty and assholish, not all but there are a few. Getting a ticket and being fined for nothing was bad but now we get a criminal record thats what I don't like, thats all I'm saying

Toma
05-28-2006, 01:03 AM
For all you guys against "street racing"...

Remind me again why some of you drive cars with over 65hp?

You do realize....
mashing the gas from a stop sign even UPTO the speed limit is still racing.
Speeding anywhere anytime is still racing
driving your car in a spirited fashion is also racing....

All it takes is some other car being near you.....

I once got a racing ticket while out cruising my car. I had a 470 rwhp mustang at the time. I took off from the lights like I normally do.... quickly. Never exceeded the limit. Didnt roast the tires... about 1/4th what the car was capable of.... There was a kid in his moms Jetta next to me that squaked his tires.... an 11 second car, next to a 16 second car... and we got racing tickets....

come on. That's just stupid. No race took place or was intended on my part. No speed limit was broken, no one was killed lol...

googe
05-28-2006, 01:05 AM
For all you guys against "street racing"...

Remind me again why some of you drive cars with over 65hp?

You do realize....
mashing the gas from a stop sign even UPTO the speed limit is still racing.
Speeding anywhere anytime is still racing
driving your car in a spirited fashion is also racing....

All it takes is some other car being near you.....

I once got a racing ticket while out cruising my car. I had a 470 rwhp mustang at the time. I took off from the lights like I normally do.... quickly. Never exceeded the limit. Didnt roast the tires... about 1/4th what the car was capable of.... There was a kid in his moms Jetta next to me that squaked his tires.... an 11 second car, next to a 16 second car... and we got racing tickets....

come on. That's just stupid. No race took place or was intended on my part. No speed limit was broken, no one was killed lol...

sinner

Toma
05-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Let me explain to you how "we" street raced back in the day....

A bunch of guys would gather on a desserted area of town, very late at night. The only cars there were there to do one thing... race. There was no passing traffic, no "innocent" civilians to be killed...

Then we would race each other for approximately 200 to 400 meters.

We started in the safest location, and as the cops busted us from spot to spot, we kept moving to the next most suitable location.

In 15+ years of doing it, no one was ever killed or even injured. A better track record then even Race City. Hard to get killed racing in a straight line for a quarter mile.

When two or more guys (er idiots) race THROUGH traffic, on MAcleod, Deerfoot, 16th, Memorial etc.... THAT is dangerous and should be a criminal offense. THis is also the type of racing that gets lumped into OUR kind of street racing, yet this is the kind that kills.... not OUR kind.

Drving like an idiot, in traffic, on public roads, with corners present, for longer then 10 to 15 seconds is a sure sign of disaster.

Team Emperor
05-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by googe

sinner

BAHAHAHA:angel:

h_s
05-28-2006, 01:01 PM
which cop do you guys personally dislike, id say that bald guy that patrolls the n.e, hes arrested me a couple times and gave me numerous tickets,

dont try to f-ck with the police, theyre the biggest gang around and can make your life hell if you provoke them

mods please nuke my post if any of this breaks forum rules

Seanith
05-28-2006, 05:18 PM
I can easily see my next (knock on wood) exhaust ticket becoming a "street racing" ticket :rolleyes:

Go4Long
05-28-2006, 05:43 PM
When two or more guys (er idiots) race THROUGH traffic, on MAcleod, Deerfoot, 16th, Memorial etc.... THAT is dangerous and should be a criminal offense. THis is also the type of racing that gets lumped into OUR kind of street racing, yet this is the kind that kills.... not OUR kind.

that(and the rest of your post) is exactly what I'm talking about...their needs to be a clear scope of this law, where it applies, and more importantly where it doesn't.
The muscle boys have never hurt anyone as far as I know, the only cars that are at those shows are there because they're planning on racing and are fully aware of the risks involved.
For some reason a bunch of the crowd have decided that in order to be a "racer" you have to "race" all the time. The reason the officer in BC was killed wasn't because of street racing...it was because of some morons thinking that racing on a well used public road way was somehow an even remotely good idea. There's no need to race from a light EVER. If you ever have to ask yourself if you can prove your point to the 16 second car beside you before you have an issue with the traffic that's stopped at the light ahead of you, please, do us all a favor and go stand in the corner until you think about what you've done. That's juvenille, and it's things like that that will get people hurt. The people going to the races on a saturday, if you're there to race, I see no problem with it, if you're there to hang out and blast your music, drink, and create a parade of 150 cars so that hawcs or any cop car is like oh look, there go the street racers, please, stay at home...I haven't been to the races since there started to be more cars showing up to watch than there were to race.
But I've gotten off topic. Simply put, racing as a criminal offence is a good idea if it's well defined, and a horrible idea if it's just left to the discretion of the officer...cus in that case I can see the guy with the 16 second honda trying to show off to his girlfriend getting the ticket and the guy in the big block nova gettin off because clearly he knew better :rolleyes:

DayGlow
05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
ya some cops are petty and assholish, not all but there are a few. Getting a ticket and being fined for nothing was bad but now we get a criminal record thats what I don't like, thats all I'm saying

My point is that this new law isn't needed if you really believe a cop is willing to make something up to screw you over criminally. If you think they are going to make up something it would be just as easily to charge you with dangerous driving.

My point is that everyone in a tizzy because they think all of a sudden cops are going to make shit up to screw them over is that they can already do it without a new law. So really people can take the tinfoil hats off.

Tyler883
05-30-2006, 04:35 PM

My point is that this new law isn't needed if you really believe a cop is willing to make something up to screw you over criminally. If you think they are going to make up something it would be just as easily to charge you with dangerous driving.

My point is that everyone in a tizzy because they think all of a sudden cops are going to make shit up to screw them over is that they can already do it without a new law. So really people can take the tinfoil hats off.

:werd: :rofl:

rage2
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
That's a good point, except for the fact that there are cases of cops screwing over someone criminally. I was with a friend who was driving 40 in a 80 zone in winter and while braking on ice trying to slow down and managed to spin out on the turn lane. Got an 8 1/2 x 11 sized ticket, and turns out it was a criminal charge for dangerous driving (he wasn't terribly polite to the cops mainly cuz his engrish sucked). $3000 in lawyer fees later, not guilty hehe. I was even called by the defense as a witness to tell my side of the story. I mean it was 2 in the morning, and the salt trucks haven't even hit the streets yet. So cops screwing people over with criminal charges DOES happen. I'm sure I'm not the only one with stories like this.

With the hatred towards street racing, I can see situations like above happen more often. I'd hate to have to pay $3k in lawyer fees for speeding or driving off the line faster than others. Giving a dangerous driving criminal charge for going 130 on deerfoot would get tossed out by the courts instantly. Giving a racing charge because some guy is pacing me at 130 on deerfoot would be a lot tougher to defend, when it's the cops word against yours.

Not saying all cops are corrupt, but there ARE some out there that really are out to fuck you in the ass.

Z_Fan
05-30-2006, 05:44 PM
When I take the Z out, which isn't that often, I always get stupid punks who want to race at pretty much every single light.

It's pathetic. :rolleyes:

My problem is that if some stupid shit pulls up beside me in his 14 second POS, and he squawks his tires off the line, and I just leave normally, are we going to get street racing tickets? This is what I fear. Getting a ticket because of someone elses actions, simply because I have a car that may attract attention.

:thumbsdow

Frankly, if they make this law happen, and it is unclear or vague, I'm going to resort to driving around with a video camera all the time. It's stupid that I would need to do that, but frankly, I'll do that. The number of times this happens to me in the Z is just retarded. Everyone wants to see it go. Well fuck, come to the track and you can see it run 11's for $5. :guns:

I actually think people will get screwed with this law. I think it should only come into play when someone is injured, an accident occurs, etc. It shouldn't come into play if two people take off from a light quickly.

Anyhow, that being said, you roll up beside me in an Enzo or a SLR, blip that throttle ... and ...

*IT'S ON BITCH* :whipped: :devil: :rofl:

But...that never happens, so I don't street race. Period.

DayGlow
05-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That's a good point, except for the fact that there are cases of cops screwing over someone criminally. I was with a friend who was driving 40 in a 80 zone in winter and while braking on ice trying to slow down and managed to spin out on the turn lane. Got an 8 1/2 x 11 sized ticket, and turns out it was a criminal charge for dangerous driving (he wasn't terribly polite to the cops mainly cuz his engrish sucked). $3000 in lawyer fees later, not guilty hehe. I was even called by the defense as a witness to tell my side of the story. I mean it was 2 in the morning, and the salt trucks haven't even hit the streets yet. So cops screwing people over with criminal charges DOES happen. I'm sure I'm not the only one with stories like this.

With the hatred towards street racing, I can see situations like above happen more often. I'd hate to have to pay $3k in lawyer fees for speeding or driving off the line faster than others. Giving a dangerous driving criminal charge for going 130 on deerfoot would get tossed out by the courts instantly. Giving a racing charge because some guy is pacing me at 130 on deerfoot would be a lot tougher to defend, when it's the cops word against yours.

Not saying all cops are corrupt, but there ARE some out there that really are out to fuck you in the ass.

I understand your point, but that really is an issue with the cop, not the law. I personally don't think there is going to be a rash of street racing criminal charges just because. Especially because I know most officers don't want to be the ones setting precedence in the courts and having case law based off of their mistakes :D

Toms-SC
05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Glad I'm not going to be a ricer target :)

H4LFY2nR
05-30-2006, 06:58 PM
So far I've recieved respectful, level headed cops, but ther are always the bad apples. Here's another example of an officer absusing the law. A few years ago my friend got a stunting ticket in his FWD, open diff talon when one of the tires slipped on some gravel (it happened in March) and it didn't even squeak. He was exiting a parking lot and trying to merge into a gap in traffic, so he accelerated to 50km/h and no faster. An asshat of a cop pulled us over for, and I quote, "doing a burn out" and "driving like an ass". I support the idea of a specific law targetting street racing, but if it's as ambiguous as the stunting law, I can see it being abused a lot. It's enevitable that modified cars will be targetted by police, especially with the media hype this law already has. I only hope that it is applied when it's acutally justified.

sexualbanana
05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
I think it's a good idea to make racing a criminal offence. Racing on the streets is a very stupid idea because it is dangerous and irresponsible.

My concern with this law however is that it's not really a tangible offence. A murder results in a dead body. A rape results in a victim with physical evidence of such. A theft results in the unlawful possession of property that is not yours. Street racing results in..... Loud noise and wasted gas?? Of course there are sometimes deaths associated with street racing but that doesn't always happen.

So I'm in agreeance with some of the people on this board that say that this is law covers a lot of gray area that if not clearly defined, whill be left to the discretion of the office. Which can sometimes be extremely unfair, ie. exhaust noise tickets.

h_s
05-30-2006, 10:53 PM
ok ive never been to race city and am kind of left in the dark, how much is it to race, when is it open, what safety mods are needed,

and..

kids these days race because of the anoninimity (anonymous - ity) of racing, if you see a doucebag in his 240 with his girlfriend pumping his black eyed peas cd at a red light, your not gonna look over and say "you me, race city, this weekend" you may know youll smoke him anyday of the week but you have the urge to prove it to him, thats why street racings fun, the crashes, the dangerous and careless driving, the innocent pedestrian accidents, thats the fucked up downside

sexualbanana
05-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by h_s
the crashes, the dangerous and careless driving, the innocent pedestrian accidents, thats the fucked up downside

That's a helluva downside. If you ask me that's all the risk you need to not street race.

h_s
05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
nobody ever thinks it will happen to them, im all for this new law, but i think there should be more designated places to race like old rarely frequented, farm roads

fuck streetracing for a second, chlorestorol, beer and cigarettes kill more people than street racing does, make that shit illegal first

blueripper6
05-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by h_s

fuck streetracing for a second, chlorestorol, beer and cigarettes kill more people than street racing does, make that shit illegal first

So I should go to jail because I have high chlorestorol(sp right?:rolleyes: )

:rofl:

codo
05-31-2006, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by blueripper6

So I should go to jail because I have high chlorestorol(sp right?:rolleyes: )

yes.

rage2
05-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Especially because I know most officers don't want to be the ones setting precedence in the courts and having case law based off of their mistakes :D
Yea, but that's usually just for the first case right?

Cherrypicker
05-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Let me explain to you how "we" street raced back in the day....

A bunch of guys would gather on a desserted area of town, very late at night. The only cars there were there to do one thing... race. There was no passing traffic, no "innocent" civilians to be killed...

Then we would race each other for approximately 200 to 400 meters.

We started in the safest location, and as the cops busted us from spot to spot, we kept moving to the next most suitable location.

In 15+ years of doing it, no one was ever killed or even injured. A better track record then even Race City. Hard to get killed racing in a straight line for a quarter mile.

Drving like an idiot, in traffic, on public roads, with corners present, for longer then 10 to 15 seconds is a sure sign of disaster.

exactly. Society sticks their nose into every move you make nowadays, you cant do anything without it being blown outta proportion because of a few bad apples.

method
05-31-2006, 06:29 PM
yeah! a deserted area of town! I mean, you guys have safety measures in place to prevent any other people from being involved right? you have liability, security, and emergency measures in place in case something goes wrong right?

oh no wait, you dont.

let's get something straight everybody. you might pay taxes on road construction, but so do I. we pay it to the government, and the government builds it. it's your road to drive on and OBEY THE FUCKING LAW. not your road to drive on and do whatever the fuck you want because you're in a 'deserted location' and you think you're 'being safe' :rolleyes:

I've never had a ticket in my entire life. I guess I must have a horse-shoe up my ass huh? more like: I dont drive like an idiot. dont desire attention from rice-boys or the calgary police? then dont daily-drive a 400 horse power car.

Dont want neighbours thinking you grow copious amounts of marijuana in your house? then dont black out all your windows never be home.

everyone has given examples about how it's pretty easy to get a ticket in this city. newsflash, it's pretty easy NOT to get one too.:clap:

AzN'SKillZ
05-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by method
yeah! a deserted area of town! I mean, you guys have safety measures in place to prevent any other people from being involved right? you have liability, security, and emergency measures in place in case something goes wrong right?

oh no wait, you dont.

let's get something straight everybody. you might pay taxes on road construction, but so do I. we pay it to the government, and the government builds it. it's your road to drive on and OBEY THE FUCKING LAW. not your road to drive on and do whatever the fuck you want because you're in a 'deserted location' and you think you're 'being safe' :rolleyes:

I've never had a ticket in my entire life. I guess I must have a horse-shoe up my ass huh? more like: I dont drive like an idiot. dont desire attention from rice-boys or the calgary police? then dont daily-drive a 400 horse power car.

Dont want neighbours thinking you grow copious amounts of marijuana in your house? then dont black out all your windows never be home.

everyone has given examples about how it's pretty easy to get a ticket in this city. newsflash, it's pretty easy NOT to get one too.:clap:

Its really easy to get a ticket i got one for not havin my seatbelt on. And cops hav a quata every month so they will give u a ticket for anything they can even if there wrong. now thats fcukin gay, and waht does havin a nice car hav to do wit drugs????

if cops are as petty and assholish as you and others seem to think, do you really think that a new law is needed to punish you? I mean if the cops are going to make something up, they don't need a new law to do it.

The Cops dont make the laws. And most cops are assholes. They usally slap u wit w/e is the most harsh ticket they can give u. So now that there is a law againts street racin and its a criminal offence, this just gives cops a harsher punishment to give out

h_s
06-01-2006, 12:21 AM
if a cop knows your speeding and cant clock you or have any proof, he WILL slap you with whatever he can get on you, whether it be a seatbelt, broken headlight/taillight, or something minor yet expensive like that,

Kennyredline
06-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Envitro
Street racing is fucking gay to begin with, so I'm fine with this. However, I'm hoping that they don't use this as an excuse to crack down on people that drive modded cars, etc., when they do nothing wrong.
did they need an excuse before?

Kennyredline
06-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by MudCrawler

You will learn quickly, that not everyone on this board appreciates this kind of shit by people like you on our way to work.;)
true that!

dawnknee
06-01-2006, 12:26 PM
IT'S ABOUT TIME

eljefe
06-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ

Its really easy to get a ticket i got one for not havin my seatbelt on.

So now that there is a law againts street racin and its a criminal offence, this just gives cops a harsher punishment to give out

#1 You were'nt wearing a seat belt , so umm good you deserved the ticket.

#2 Harsher? Sure if its deserved then give er out!

kertejud
06-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by h_s
... but i think there should be more designated places to race like old rarely frequented, farm roads

Well, cholesterol affects only the person with the ailment. I know few people who've caught high colesterol by just being around greasy food or by getting hit by an errant french fry.

As for beer, it is very highly regulated, and there IS designated places to drink it, sell it etc. Much like Race City is a designated place to race. It is somewhat similar to cigarettes, though those can harm people who don't do it first hand just like racing can, but if car people were willing to pay taxes for their tuning parts like smokers do for cigarettes, I think we'd be stupid not to allow streetracing, the money earned could pay for more hospital beds (and cemetary space).

eljefe
06-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by kertejud

Well, cholesterol affects only the person with the ailment. I know few people who've caught high colesterol by just being around greasy food or by getting hit by an errant french fry.

:rofl: great point!

h_s
06-03-2006, 09:29 AM
second hand chlorestorol?? almost an epidemic now

eljefe
06-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Outstanding

It appears that this new "street racing" criminalization involves an increase in penalties for street racing that leads to injury or death.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tories target street racers with tough new penalties
Last Updated Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:05:14 EDT
CBC News
Convicted street racers could get lengthy prison sentences and lifetime driving bans under tough new penalties unveiled Thursday by the Conservative government.

Hot rodders with souped-up muscle cars start a street race in this still from The Need for Speed, a documentary filmed in Toronto. (Canadian Press)
The proposed legislation was spurred by several recent deaths and injuries in road accidents across the country.

If passed, it would specifically recognize street racing in assessing harsher penalties for a number of driving-related offences.

In cases where street racing was involved, the maximum prison terms for the following driving offences would increase:

Dangerous driving causing bodily harm: raised to 14 years from 10 years.
Dangerous driving causing death: raised to lifetime imprisonment from 14 years.
Criminal negligence causing bodily harm: raised to 14 years from 10 years.
Drivers with repeated convictions for street racing causing bodily harm would receive automatic two-year licence suspensions. Those with repeated convictions for racing causing death would face lifetime driving bans.

"Street racing is not about kids having fun," said Justice Minister Vic Toews in a statement. "It is a reckless and dangerous activity that has no place in Canadian communities."

In January, four men were killed in a Vancouver crash blamed on street racing.

The same month, Tahir Khan, a 46-year-old immigrant from Pakistan, was killed in Toronto when a Mercedes-Benz slammed into his taxi. In that case, two teenagers were charged with criminal negligence causing death.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper first announced the proposed changes last month in Vancouver.

Critics of the proposed legislation have argued that existing sections of the Criminal Code can already be used to impose harsh sentences for street racing.

Racing a deadly activity: father

A Sudbury, Ont., man whose 16-year-old son died in a suspected street race in April said he supports the tougher penalties.

"The government needs to send a message that racing is deadly. It's a very serious activity with a deadly impact," said Daniel Herard.

Patrick Herard was riding his bicycle to a friend's house at about 8:30 p.m. on April 23 when he was hit from behind by a speeding car. He was killed instantly.

Police say two cars were racing down the residential street. Two teenagers face charges of criminal negligence causing death and dangerous driving causing death.

Two cars used in a street race and seized by police were destroyed by York Regional Police, Thursday. (CBC)
Daniel Herard, who is also a police officer, said the proposed law is a good first step, but said the government needs to develop education programs for teenagers about street racing.

Police crush street-racing cars

Armand La Barge, chief of police in York Region north of Toronto, said he wholeheartedly supports the proposed legislation.

La Barge said he believes street racing is on the rise, noting "movies like The Fast and the Furious, the glorification of it on the internet, on videogames."

York Regional Police had two street racing cars publicly crushed in Markham, Ont., on Thursday, where La Barge made his remarks.

The modified cars were seized in 2004 and 2005 after their drivers were stopped for speeding and dangerous driving.

"If [the new legislation] stops one individual from racing, if it saves one life or saves a family from going through the trauma of having to deal with somebody that's been injured in a street race, then quite frankly, it's worth it," said La Barge.

Police say 34 people have died as a result of street racing in the Greater Toronto Area since 1999.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/06/15/street-racing.html

Toms-SC
06-15-2006, 11:26 AM
It's not going to pass

Khyron
06-15-2006, 11:47 AM
So wait wait wait - does this mean a street racer killing someone gets a far harsher penalty than a drunk killing someone? Even though being impaired is far easier to prove?

Guess not - that would mean a chunk of the CPS and pretty much all the politicians would end up in jail. :banghead:

Even better - an unmarked cop car heading somewhere exceeding the speedlimit, getting paced by me or someone else with a leadfoot; well that cop car is now racing. (ps, true story).

Khyron

nadroj23
06-15-2006, 01:03 PM
^^^ true

eljefe
06-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
So wait wait wait - does this mean a street racer killing someone gets a far harsher penalty than a drunk killing someone? Even though being impaired is far easier to prove?

Guess not - that would mean a chunk of the CPS and pretty much all the politicians would end up in jail. :banghead:

Even better - an unmarked cop car heading somewhere exceeding the speedlimit, getting paced by me or someone else with a leadfoot; well that cop car is now racing. (ps, true story).

Khyron

Currently it seems yes, imparied causing bodily harm and impaired causing death are both criminal offences that are punishable with up to 10 years in jail. In my opinion these should both be dealt with with the same severity.

Perhaps you should look at your comparison, it was great up until impaired being far easier to prove, infact if either result in a fatility the burden of proof is the same, your conclusion that a chunk of CPS and "pretty much all politicians" would be in jail was based on impaired driving not impaired driving causing death......unless you have some sort of statistic that shows a chunk of the CPS and most politicians have killed someone driving impaired? :dunno:

Toms-SC
06-16-2006, 08:50 AM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1150408211064&call_pageid=968332188492

For fuke sakes, communist for the lose!

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Wait so 2 cars go on green on Macleod Tr. Friday night, up to the speed limit (haha, 0-60...Km/h!), and that's racing?

You haven't broken the speed limit, you've stayed in your lane, and you have the right of way. I don't see how 'aggressive acceleration' is somehow supposed to be illegal...

If wheelchair lady pops her fat ass into oncoming traffic *while* said 'aggressive acceleration' is in progress, and gets wiped out (along with my suspension), it's MY fault she's a fucking retard for getting in the way of a moving vehicle? So now it's not just 'you hit some dumbass', it's 'you hit some dumbass WHILE STREET RACING!!!!!'

Prove you weren't racing!

Oops, it's your word against theirs. :whipped:

nadroj23
06-16-2006, 09:25 AM
yep exactly your word against theirs. this law is way to fuckin vague. like somebody said earlier in here, street racing should take affect after 50km/hr over the speedlimit, there are laws and tickets for every speed up to 50k over so why not put it there and then its settled as street racing?

nadroj23
06-16-2006, 09:26 AM
oh and another thing i was driving home last weekend and saw 3 different fuckin people swerving all over the fuckin road and shit.....but no they are more concerned about street racing.....oh and i saw them between john laurie and country hill blvd, on 14th street goin north............

DayGlow
06-16-2006, 09:31 AM
sure are a lot of drama queens here.

89coupe
06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
So was a new law actually passed, or are these just proposed laws?

I can't seem to find anythinig that says that a new law was passed?

nadroj23
06-16-2006, 09:55 AM
just proposed.

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm gonna WRITE A LETTER. :nut:

Seanith
06-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Both of the vehicles are Honda CRX Civics and retail for about $20,000. One had about $2,500 in modifications, the other more than $5,000.

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 11:21 AM
...Bahahahah I didnt even see that, WTF is a CRX Civic?

I GOTZ A HONDA CIVIC CRX ACCORD PILOT WITH ODYSSEY TAILS y0

Z_Fan
06-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Uhm. Small rant begins now...

I've spent more on "mods" on my two cars than BOTH those cars were worth, including their mods and their original purchase cost. So, I guess I must be a street racer? Fuck that association is bullshit.

"mods" don't make a "car" a street racing machine.

The morons driving them do.

Period.

Street Racers can street race anything. Absolutely anything. Whether it be a Dodge Minivan or a fucking SMART car. It can be raced, and it certainly doesn't need to be "modded" to be raced. Since when did $2k in mods get you a fast car? HAHAHAHAHAH!

I choose to modify my car, and I race it at the track. I don't think simply because my car is "modified" that automatically makes me a street racer - which is definitely, undeniably, the association the law clearly seems to want to make. Or at least the latest publicity stunt, which is merely a lame ass Canadian Copycat PR stunt in the first place. You'd think the government could come up with something a little more creative. Morons!

As for a street racing law, I'm all for it - but I think that the criminal offences should only come into play when there has been an accident as the result, more than one car is involved (can't race yourself) and excessive speed (more than 50km/H over the limit) is involved - AND - people not driving have been injured or killed. If the drivers are injured or killed, hey, we got rid of more street racers! Woot! Woot! A small celebration should be held, and that's all.

Crushing pathetic little Honda's with $2k in mods shows a great deal of ignorance about what a real "street racing" car is capable of or what it should be. That is a fucking joke. Let's find and crush some 9 second street cars who were caught racing - not Mom's grocery getting 14 second Honda with a fart can and cold air intake. That is a serious fucking joke that anyone who "modifies" cars is just laughing their asses off at...pathetic & ignorant of what a real street racing car should be.

But it does prove the point that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING on the road is a "street racing machine" - when put in the hands of a street racer. It would have made more of a point to crush the drivers, and sell those POS Honda's back to a 16 year old girl or the grocery getting MILF it belongs too. Street racing Honda's with 2k in mods. LMFAO. Makes me angry.

Ok, I'm done my rant.

Go4Long
06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
well put Z-Fan...and that's part of my concern as well...whose job is it to decide that this guy was clearly street racing, while the other guy that was going just as fast, but was in a stock car was just speeding cus he likes to speed...
my car is far from stock, and although I used to be a regular at the "organized" street races in some of my older vehicles, I have completely stopped going since I got my car back on the road. it's not worth the risks and the tickets...

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
In *theory*... a civic with modded suspension & tires is more safe than racing stock....

Not saying much I know, but yeah. ;)

Hollywood
06-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Steet racing law is a scam! And I will tell you why.

Private lawyers were consulted by the media and they commented saying this;

Currently with the laws in place there is plenty of offences that cover charging offenders that street race. The street race law is actually reduntant and deemed to be a political ploy for the reasons for it to be added into the current laws. They expected the law to get abused by police as "street racing" is too much left into interpretation by the officer, thus possibly resulting is wasted court time and money.

DayGlow
06-16-2006, 01:02 PM
you guys are absolutely right. I also suggest that you start the fight for the joggers mistaken for criminals running away, women walking down the street mistaken for prostitutes, people riding bikes mistaken for Hells Angles, etc.

There is way too much paranoia here with some people. It's a criminal charge and as such will have to be proved in court. That means that evidence presented would indicate to a reasonable person that the person/people charged were infact racing. Someone chirping their wheels as they start from a light isn't reasonable and won't stand up in court.

Now if I can across a scene with a car wiped out into a pole with witnesses saying they saw the car back a block stopped beside another car both reving their engines and taking off hard from a light, with buddy losing control and wiping out, well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out. Now if you can explain your actions as reasonable for the situation, that's what court is for.

As it stands right now there is a racing charge under the TSA. Is that being thrown around like crazy? No it isn't because you need a set of observations to show that people were racing.

A little less drama and a little more thought can go a long way.

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Wont stand up in court sure, how about the $2000 you've suddenly gotta pay for a lawyer to defend yourself against a cop's "better judgement"? Or will CPS be paying back legal fees too? :thumbsdow

DayGlow
06-16-2006, 01:19 PM
So please explain how all of a sudden cops will start slapping racing charges on everyone out there? They already can through the TSA or a dangerous driving charge. Please explain how reason is suddenly going to fly out the window because a new law is passed?

How about other laws? I mean why aren't people being charged left right and center by cops with any other fictitious charges? Oh look you swerved in your lane a little, time to hit you with an impaired driving charge (over .08 is a seperate charge, don't need it to charge someone with impaired) Wait a sec, you have a pocket knife, time to hit you with a Weapon Dangerous to the Public charge. Hey now, you are speaking kinda loud, I think you are interfering with others people enjoyment so I'm going to slap you with a mischief charge. I can go on and on. Just because you have no common sense doesn't mean the vast majority of the people out there, including cops don't.

Again, stop with the drama and think for a second and explain how all of a sudden racing charges are going to start flowing like crazy?

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Nice deflect, but you didnt answer the question. Its easy to say "naaah wont happen!", but when it DOES, some guy is gonna be stuck with big lawyer fees just to fight off a charge he should never have gotten in the 1st place.

*edit* dont get me wrong, street racing = lame, but the possibilities a brand new charge like this opens up is pretty wild, and I'm really not feeling it'll be put to good use.

AllGoNoShow
06-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Well now you can slap us with all 4, TSA, Dangerous Driving, Wreckless Driving, and now Street Racing. We then now have to prove to a judge or multiple judges that all 4 charges are false. Now if you ask me, when I go into a court room, me vs. cop, I'd probably loose, my word as a 17 year old kid, wouldn't stand as much with the judge as someone who works for a "Law enforcement agency". Now a lawyer for all 4 charges is going to get expensive. But then again I could counter sue the city for loss wages, harassment, court fees, and the whole case would get dropped.

Does that at all sound like a complete and utterly waste of time and court money? We could put 2-3 killers away in the time it would take me to give up in court and let you get away with everything, were innocent or guilty.

DayGlow
06-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
Nice deflect, but you didnt answer the question. Its easy to say "naaah wont happen!", but when it DOES, some guy is gonna be stuck with big lawyer fees just to fight off a charge he should never have gotten in the 1st place.

*edit* dont get me wrong, street racing = lame, but the possibilities a brand new charge like this opens up is pretty wild, and I'm really not feeling it'll be put to good use.

How is it a deflect? I ask again, how all of a sudden will this new law cause all common sense to be thrown out the window? Your acting as if from this a cop will be parked outside the house of anyone that has a 'nice' car, follow them so they can hit them with a street racing charge as soon as they do anything contrary to the rules of the road. Oh, and I'm sure the cop will be sure to throw in evading the police in a motor vehicle because you didn't pull over right away. :rolleyes:

You know what's going to happen? Nothing except the next time some knuckle head causes a crash racing his car will be charged with street racing instead of dangerous driving.

The horror :eek:

(also you won't be hit with all 4 or whatever, you cannot 'double dip' charges, ie charge multiple times for the same offense. The street racing charge would cover the dangerous, etc, much like an impaired driving charge covers any and all infractions you do while being observed being impaired. The infractions go towards the evidence of the impaired charge, much like dangerous actions would go towards the racing charge)