PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2: Episode One Gold

2000_SI
05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
May 24, 2006 - Valve is hoping you'd rather get one delicious bite of Half-Life now than wait several years for the full meal. The developer announced today Half-Life 2: Episode One, the first in a trilogy of episodes that will conclude by Christmas of 2007, has gone gold.

The new installment picks up where the series left off, and launches the first of three scenarios that lead far beyond City 17, where part two concluded. Half-Life 2: Episode One does not require Half-Life 2 to play, and will be available via Steam and at retail stores in North America for $19.95 on June 1. Also included in Episode One is a first look at Episode Two, which will ship by year's end.

"Given the rapid changes in PC gaming, we expect episodic games will have the same impact on single-player gaming that Counter-Strike had on multiplayer," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "The frequent releases of upgraded technology and new content works better for both consumers and developers, and is one of the key reasons Counter-Strike grew to be 80% of the online action market. We decided that a follow-up to Half-Life 2 delivered in 18 months with our first episode was more in tune with what our customers want than waiting 6 years for another monolithic product."

Episode One is designed to be four to six hours in length. Stepping into the hazard suit of Dr. Gordon Freeman, you face the immediate repercussions of your actions in City 17 and the Citadel. Alyx Vance and her robot, Dog, will accompany you in your efforts to aid in the human resistance against the totalitarian menace of the Combine.

In addition to the new single player experience, two multiplayer games are included. And those who purchase Episode One will have free access via Steam to Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, the interactive technology demo that introduces High Dynamic Range lighting to the Source Engine, which powers the Half-Life universe. HDR produces more realistic renderings of 3D environments.

Players can look forward to dodging head crabs again June 1.

Woot! Anyone else excited for this?

b_t
05-25-2006, 06:53 PM
I am SO pumped you have no idea. Episodic is cool, but hopefully it includes more story development and variety then Sin did.

2000_SI
05-26-2006, 10:15 AM
I havent played the New SiN Episide... is it any good?

b_t
05-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
I havent played the New SiN Episide... is it any good?

Not really. Only three weapons and about four or five different bad guys. It looks cool, but it feels like something that should have come out in 1999.

Vagabond142
06-02-2006, 11:37 PM
I picked up my copy of Ep 1 today :D MAN does the game look good with HDR (you heard me, Ep 1 has HDR included!). It's fun as hell, although a little more linear and not as "oh-my-god-I'm-getting-swamped" as Half Life 2, but overall I'm having great fun with it :thumbsup: I'd give it an 8/10, with points lost for not being as complex as HL2 (like I said, it's super linear) and for being a little *TOO* easy on the normal setting. Otherwise, a lot of story is revealed, including what happened at the end of HL2 when everything froze.

heinz256
06-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Definitely as good as HL2, cant wait for episode 2 and 3 to come out.

iceburns288
06-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Is this free? It should be:D

If you want HDR, get Gary's Mod for HL2. You can play single and multiplayer in HDR AND fine-tune it as you play. Awesome depth of field effects too!:thumbsup:

b_t
06-03-2006, 01:53 PM
garry's mod is gay to the max, though, and Episode One is a real game that is getting rave reviews everywhere. I would definitely pay $20 for it, and will probably pick it up tonight.

Xaroxantu Zero
06-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Spent the whole afternoon playing Episode 1. Not bad at all. :)

b_t
06-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Yep I started it at 1 this afternoon and beat it just now. Not terribly long, but it was a lot of fun, plus it was only $20cdn (cheaper to buy it at best buy then it is to buy it off steam ;)!)

...did you watch the Episode 2 trailer after the credits??

Vagabond142
06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
I tried to, but the game reset on me o_O

But I think that Valve is on to something here.... releasing three episodes then Half Life 3 over the course of 2 years (Ep 2 is holiday 2006, ep 3 is summer 2007 and HL3 is supposed to be Holiday 2007) keeps interest and guarantees that there is a firmly established story to lead into HL3

I do wonder what happened to Dog... I hope he got out in time... I also love the look on his "face" when Alyx asks "You DID do the math, right?"

b_t
06-04-2006, 10:03 PM
go into your half life episode one folder, then into episodic, and its in there to watch... only 1 minute, but it got me sufficiently pumped for episode 2 :D

2000_SI
06-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Just picked this up yesterday.... fun game... short but cant complain at $19.

Anyone else get motion sick while playing?

Toms-SC
06-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Nope, I'm playing on full everything and I've yet to max my PC out.