PDA

View Full Version : Vaneers

Lo)2enz0
05-26-2006, 09:33 AM
ok, i am thinking about getting them but was wondering what everone else thought about them. well mostly feed back from people who have them. How long did it take for eveything to get done.

kind of getting pissed off with my dentist. for the past 6 years he has been telling me that when my moulers come in everything will even out and i am just pissed at the guy cause at the age of 20, i still don't believe him.

asuth077
05-26-2006, 09:40 AM
I am also interested in this information as sometime in the future I would like to get some. However, becuase of the price it will probably be a while before I can afford to do them.

topmade
05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Takes about 2 weeks, 1st appointment you'll go the actual lab that makes the vaneers to get a color match, 2nd appointment you go to your dentist and he will grind off the face of your teeth and give you some temps (1-2hrs), then send impressions back with the shade guide to the lab for fabrication. 3rd appoinment you'll go in and get the vaneers put in.

If your moulers didn't come in yet then I would not recommend you do anything until the've grown in or been ripped out as most people will have some slight changes to their teeth alignment that will be enough to crack the vaneers. Pissed off or not, I think you should listen to your dentist even though some of the questions and cases I've seen I :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW I used to be a dental technician at Aurum labs

Mr_John
05-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Takes about 2 weeks, 1st appointment you'll go the actual lab that makes the vaneers to get a color match, 2nd appointment you go to your dentist and he will grind off the face of your teeth and give you some temps (1-2hrs), then send impressions back with the shade guide to the lab for fabrication. 3rd appoinment you'll go in and get the vaneers put in.

This is for the expensive vaneer that looks extremely nice
I think its about a thousand bucks per tooth - maybe less or more.
These vaneers last long though, about 10 years from what the dentist told me.

You can also get the less expensive vaneers. They cost a few hundred a tooth but dont look as nice as the more expensive ones. However they still do look real and pretty good. They dont last as long as the expensive vaneers either.
This type would only take a couple hours to do.

My friend has the expensive vaneers and they look great. I have the cheaper vaneer and people think its a real tooth still. Still looks fantastic.

Wildcat
05-26-2006, 05:09 PM
im probly going to get some vaneer's as soon as i can afford them, they can last up to 25 years now. Theres nothing wrong with my teeth or anything but you'd be surprised what a perfect set of teeth can do. they make such a difference in my opinion and is totally worth it.

BebeAphrodite
05-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Why has everyone in this thread called them 'vaneers'? I thought it was veneers.
:dunno:

Lo)2enz0
05-26-2006, 06:05 PM
i searched up the proper spelling fist and thats what came up.

but lets just say this, i hate my teeth

and i guess i may be stuck with them for a while

FiveFreshFish
05-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
Why has everyone in this thread called them 'vaneers'? I thought it was veneers.
:dunno:

Correct.

Molars, while we're at it.

Das_Amaretto
05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
LOL I completely forgot that I also got a good veneer put in 8 years ago... even my new dentist didn't even notice! I'll have to ask him next time I'm in.

I say get them (the good ones) and you'll have great teeth for a long time, they hold up REALLY well.

Back then,I opted to go the route of veneers and bridges instead of braces. Your choice, but no long-term pain, along with the instant gratification when they were put in was reason enough 4 me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Das_Amaretto
05-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Oh yeah, definitely wait until your wisdom teeth are dealt with before doing anything

Steve-O 00
06-10-2006, 12:57 PM
BESIDES THEY ARE VERY EXPENSIVE LIKE 1500 PER TOOTH
:guns:

Traffic_Cop
06-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Veneers look great....however (just my opinion). After years of playing rugby and other contact sports and having chips in my front teeth I decided to go for veneers. Cost about $700.00 per tooth, surgery was minimal. Strange thing is this:- The warranty is only 2 years and insuarnce will pay 50%, but if you have cowns they are like $1000 per tooth, but insuarnce company pays 90% & you get like a 15 year warranty.
I had/have veneers, but I also have a very powerful bite, if you do DONT GET THEM. They crack, they come off, basically are a real pain in the ass, if you want a long term fix go with the crowns. Theres nothing worse than being on a hot date, eating a steak and one of your veneers crack, exposing a chipped up, worked on tooth.

VWEvo
07-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Lots of misinformation about Veneers on this thread. More than happy to clear up the information on this. However, I'm only going to so if there are people interested. So please post if you want me to.

BTW, I' m a dentist here in Calgary. My main interest outside of general dentistry is cosmetic dentistry and orthodontics.

rx7girlie
07-17-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't know too much about veneers, but I saw this show where they talked about the "bad side" of veneers. Essentially, you will come across some dentists who are sloppy, careless and simply put, do really bad jobs.

Some things I saw included having the tooth ground down too much for a first time job - this leads to problems when the veneers have to be redone (due to chips etc). Also, if poorly aligned to the gum, really bad chronic infections can develop that will need to be repaired. Finally, equally disturbing, teeth being grind so much that nerves are being damaged and root canals are having to be done.

Then you have some of the really incompetent practicing dentists that show you their "work" that are not actually theirs.

Bottomline, It's like plastic surgery. So, you need to be not only informed well, but pick a good dentist!

kaput
07-17-2006, 01:26 PM

Dope Dealer
07-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
Lots of misinformation about Veneers on this thread. More than happy to clear up the information on this. However, I'm only going to so if there are people interested. So please post if you want me to.

BTW, I' m a dentist here in Calgary. My main interest outside of general dentistry is cosmetic dentistry and orthodontics.

So... What are the misconceptions?

B18C
07-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

So... What are the misconceptions?

Lots, to start:
1. wisdom teeth coming in will not shift your anterior teeth
2. "expensive veneers vs. less expensive veneers"???
they are ceramic pieces that are made in a lab. Their quality depends more on the skill of the dentist, the quality of the impression, and the lab they use. Are these cheap veneers composites?
3. Insurance coverage depends on your insurance plan.
4. Warranties really depends on the case as with all the other things said about the longevity of crowns and/or veneers.

There is more, but those are just some of the glaring things I saw that made me raise an eyebrow.

BTW, I am also a dentist here in Calgary. Maybe VWEvo has more stuff he would like to add.

VWEvo
07-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Veneers are more complicated than simply going to a dentist and having them put on.

FIRST!!!!

Please go to a dentist who does them regularily and has training in cosmetic dentistry. Ask the dentist to show you cases they have done and what training they have. There are lots of dentists out there who do Veneers without learning the art of smile design. Last week I had to redo Veneers done by another dentist and it was clear that this dentist (who's been practising for 15-20 years) had no clue what he/she was doing.

Price can vary anywhere from $800 all the way to $1500 per tooth. It is important not to base your decision on price alone, but rather on the dentist who is treating your case. I've got a few patients who are so happy with their results they have no problem sharing there experiences. So referral's are also great. Also, ask what is included in the price? Veneers are broken down into Prework up (ie. Diagnostic Wax up), Professional fee, and laboratory fee. Some, including myself will often include the use of a Laser for your gums.

SECONDLY!!!

Not everyone needs veneers. I can't tell you how many times I've showed patients better ways to a nicer smile without having to do any veneers. The best bang for the buck smile makeover is simply whitening your teeth. I've had so many people get professional 1 hour whitening and be done at that.

THIRDLY!!!

Please see your dentist for more information. Or better yet, feel free to see me at my clinic :D ;) (my quick plug-in)

VWEvo
07-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by B18C

Lots, to start:
1. wisdom teeth coming in will not shift your anterior teeth
2. "expensive veneers vs. less expensive veneers"???
they are ceramic pieces that are made in a lab. Their quality depends more on the skill of the dentist, the quality of the impression, and the lab they use. Are these cheap veneers composites?
3. Insurance coverage depends on your insurance plan.
4. Warranties really depends on the case as with all the other things said about the longevity of crowns and/or veneers.

There is more, but those are just some of the glaring things I saw that made me raise an eyebrow.

BTW, I am also a dentist here in Calgary. Maybe VWEvo has more stuff he would like to add.

Yup,pretty good answer.

VWEvo
07-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I'm interested in the cost, how long it takes and the process? I just have 1 tooth that could use some fixing up, but I haven't looked into it because I'm afraid they need to do some grinding on the tooth and I would rather not risk developing sensitivity. And I'm afraid of them breaking and making things worse.

Great question!!!

Firstly, Veneers that are done well will not lead to sensitivity. Veneers should be very conservative and require very, very minimal removal of tooth structure. I would highly recommend you talk to a dentist because you may require a very easy solution for your problem. Oh, and the veneers typically take 2 weeks to make and in the mean time you have temporary veneers placed that look 95% as good as the final product.

VWEvo
07-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by rx7girlie
I don't know too much about veneers, but I saw this show where they talked about the "bad side" of veneers. Essentially, you will come across some dentists who are sloppy, careless and simply put, do really bad jobs.

Some things I saw included having the tooth ground down too much for a first time job - this leads to problems when the veneers have to be redone (due to chips etc). Also, if poorly aligned to the gum, really bad chronic infections can develop that will need to be repaired. Finally, equally disturbing, teeth being grind so much that nerves are being damaged and root canals are having to be done.

Then you have some of the really incompetent practicing dentists that show you their "work" that are not actually theirs.

Bottomline, It's like plastic surgery. So, you need to be not only informed well, but pick a good dentist!
Goes back to my post about being careful. Yes Veneers if done poorly can lead to further problems. That's why it is important to do your research.

I don't want your post to scare anyone away from having their smile corrected, but you do make valid points.

We're lucky here in Calgary. There are quite a few well trained, very competent dentists.

VWEvo
07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Veneers look great....however (just my opinion). After years of playing rugby and other contact sports and having chips in my front teeth I decided to go for veneers. Cost about $700.00 per tooth, surgery was minimal. Strange thing is this:- The warranty is only 2 years and insuarnce will pay 50%, but if you have cowns they are like $1000 per tooth, but insuarnce company pays 90% & you get like a 15 year warranty.
I had/have veneers, but I also have a very powerful bite, if you do DONT GET THEM. They crack, they come off, basically are a real pain in the ass, if you want a long term fix go with the crowns. Theres nothing worse than being on a hot date, eating a steak and one of your veneers crack, exposing a chipped up, worked on tooth.

Generally for most dentists doing cosmetics, including myself there is no difference in costs. Also, insurance payout shouldn't be any different either. So I'm not sure why that was told to you. As for warranty, all dentistry should recieve the same warranty, again, not sure why you lead to believe this.

It's very important to understand that cracking, and chipping veneers are a sign of a dentist who doesn't understand Bite Mechanics. VENEERS SHOULD NOT CRACK under any circumstance. If done well they should easily be as strong as a crown. In fact there are only certain indications for crowns to be done on the front.

The moral of story, go to a dentist who is well trained in Bite mechanics as well as cosmetics. (Usually these two go hand in hand, and is a good way to see if your dentist is well versed in this area)

VWEvo
07-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Ok, enough teeth talk for now if anyone has more questions please feel free to ask. I have been getting a few pm's, I'm ok with answering questions privately if anyone prefers.

heavyD
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
A golf ball took out a 3rd of one of my front tooth when I was young. For years I got by with it being filled in but got tired of having it break off every couple of years so I got my dentist to put a veneer in. My employee dental insurance didn't cover veneers so I paid $500 out of my pocket for it. I went to a lab on 17th avenue and of course I have the most difficult teeth to colour match (the bottoms of my front chicklets are translucent). Five years later and no issues at all. They couldn't reproduce the translucence of the original tooth but you can only tell when looking very closely & I'm not vain enough to care about it.

2UTH DR
08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
Ok, enough teeth talk for now if anyone has more questions please feel free to ask. I have been getting a few pm's, I'm ok with answering questions privately if anyone prefers.

I'm a dentist too, however I don't do too many veneer cases. Working in a rural Alberta town, there isn't a big market for cosmetic cases.

Being in the "trenches" or rural Alberta I have to focus my time on restorative, endo and oral surgery.

VWEvo
08-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 2UTH DR

I'm a dentist too, however I don't do too many veneer cases. Working in a rural Alberta town, there isn't a big market for cosmetic cases.

Being in the "trenches" or rural Alberta I have to focus my time on restorative, endo and oral surgery.

Cool to see another 2th fixer on here. Rural dentistry rocks, I miss working in Nanton. All I did was extractions and endo's, I loved it!!! Made me a better "city" dentist.