PDA

View Full Version : Improve GPA - after graduation

PaleRider
05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I graduated couple years ago with a BSc. After working these couple of years I am interested in taking masters in info security. However as the subject of this thread says my undergraduate GPA is low(quite low). During my undergrad I didn't really care about GPA and at that time just want to graduate ASAP - big mistake. What options do I have?

lint
05-26-2006, 09:55 AM
find out what the criteria for acceptance is, and also what course can be upgraded and how. I know that for most programs, when upgrading a course, you have to replace it with a higher level up. ie if you are upgrading an 200 level english course, you can only replace it with a 300 level, not another 200 level.

Also, you may not have to take the course at Univ. Some programs will also accept upgrade courses from pretty much anywhere, including Athabasca, etc, as long as it's an equivalent course.

topmade
05-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can re-take the courses you did bad on and try to get a higher grade to increase your GPA and if you do worse they just use the higher one. You will have to do this at the school you went to as well.

benyl
05-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Depending on the school you are going to do your masters at, your GPA may not matter. If you have work experience and good reference letters from reputable people that say you aren't a total idiot, you can pretty much get in anywhere.

Most graduate schools are desperate for students to keep their department a float. I would talk to the graduate office of the department and ask them specifically what you need to do.

I know many people who have gotten Master's degrees from very reputable universities that didn't even finish their undergrad. There is always a way to get in if they want you in.

RX_EVOLV
05-26-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm kind of in the same situation. I just finished Undergrad w/ a BSc and want to do a Master but cannot due to my low GPA ( not too low..but not enuf to meet the Min requirement.. combine that with my lack of good reference I couldn't get into the Graduate program that I liked) Like Benyl said, some graduate department will take in students that are below the requirement if they are in desperate need for graduate students.

But I'm not sure how competitive/demanding info security is and i would strongly suggest you to talk to the office or even the researcher in charge and apply anything, you never know.

Anyway, for myself, since I have a specific graduate program in mind, I'm going back to UC next year to boost my GPA. From what I found out there are two options. You can either apply for after degree ( which is a 2 year program for you to get your 2nd Undergrade degree, which allows you give boost your GPA for a year or two) or if you missed the May1st deadline like I did, you can apply as a part time/unclassified student. They said normally a part time student cant only take up to 2 courses/semester but if you already have a degreee you can take a full course load ( 5/semester)

Since almost all the graduate programs I looked at only requiremenst the GPA for my last TWO FULL years of university, so I figured I only need to do 1 year of courses before I am qualify for Masters. So my plan now is to apply as a unclassified student ( deadine is the Fri before class starts.. so Sept something), talk to the biology/science advisor on what courses to take ( don't think having a bunch of GPA boosting courses lik ECON on the transcipt would look good on the application) and possibly talk to the Prof/researchers iin charge of the Master program of interest to let him to I am interested in their program and currently making myself more competitive and see if they have any advice

///|ndy
05-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by topmade
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can re-take the courses you did bad on and try to get a higher grade to increase your GPA and if you do worse they just use the higher one. You will have to do this at the school you went to as well.

:werd:
I was under the same impression. Can anyone clarify if it's otherwise?

5abi
05-26-2006, 11:09 AM
k, go unclassified, take 2 courses a sem show good results...... and talk to the department.

PaleRider
05-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by topmade

I talked to one lady at the science dept (SS 2nd floor), she said once you apply for your degree then that degree is done and cannot be changed. Therefore I guess what you are saying is true as long as you do not apply for your degree.

currently my plan is to go through an after-degree program in something easy like econ society (boring) or comm culture

benyl
05-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by PaleRider

currently my plan is to go through an after-degree program in something easy like econ society (boring) or comm culture

Why don't you take some undergrad courses on the subject matter that you want to do your masters in? Why doing something unrelated for "easy" marks? Why not show the department that you are serious about your masters degree and that you are willing to work hard.

I only say this as they might admit you sooner by doing that instead of taking 2 years, getting discouraged, getting shitty marks again and not getting in. I am not trying to flame, just guessing at what could happen based on my experience.

lint
05-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Why don't you take some undergrad courses on the subject matter that you want to do your masters in? Why doing something unrelated for "easy" marks? Why not show the department that you are serious about your masters degree and that you are willing to work hard.

I only say this as they might admit you sooner by doing that instead of taking 2 years, getting discouraged, getting shitty marks again and not getting in. I am not trying to flame, just guessing at what could happen based on my experience.

There are 2 parts to upgrading. First are the mandatory courses that you need to be accepted into the program. The second are the filler courses to beef up the GPA.

Without the first part, the second doesn't really matter. However once you have the first part, it doesn't matter what you take for the second, just get the highest GPA possible. Filler, fluff, the easier the better. Unless you can do the related courses AND get very high GPA, it's better to just aim for the GPA boosters in those courses. Because after the pre-reqs, GPA will be the next deciding factor, not that you got a shittier GPA in a related but not required course.

lint
05-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by PaleRider

I talked to one lady at the science dept (SS 2nd floor), she said once you apply for your degree then that degree is done and cannot be changed. Therefore I guess what you are saying is true as long as you do not apply for your degree.

Your completed degree doesn't change, but the courses and the grades you use to apply to the masters program aren't directly related to any undergrad degree that you have. You need the program prereqs and what ever remaining to fill the required number of courses to apply. ie you need 20 half courses of which 10 must be 2 math, 2 physics, 2 english. Get your 6 prereqs and the highest GPA possible in the remaining 14 courses. If your previous undergrad grades aren't enough, then take enough easy upgrade courses to boot your gpa.

You can easily complete the prereqs to get into a masters program in one subject without the undergraduate degree in the same subject. I knew plenty of people who did that when I was completing my undergrad. While completing their BSc, they took 8 half courses in econ. Enough to get into the econ masters program without ever completing an econ undergrad.

RX_EVOLV
05-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I think you should take courses that are related to your study of interest. Since you already havea low GPA to begin with, even gettting a 3.7 or a 4.0 after 1st year will only average you out to ~ Min requirement for Master program ( ~ 3.2?). Why not take higher level courses that are related to your field of interest and show them you are capable and passionate about the program, it will make you a little more competitive. Im sure you want to get into Graduate school a.s.ap since other wise you are just paying tuition for courses that mean and go toward nothing.

lint
05-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
I think you should take courses that are related to your study of interest. Since you already havea low GPA to begin with, even gettting a 3.7 or a 4.0 after 1st year will only average you out to ~ Min requirement for Master program ( ~ 3.2?). Why not take higher level courses that are related to your field of interest and show them you are capable and passionate about the program, it will make you a little more competitive. Im sure you want to get into Graduate school a.s.ap since other wise you are just paying tuition for courses that mean and go toward nothing.

You need to be realistic. Do you think nursing students with shitty grades have a better chance of getting into med school than a psychology student with just the prereqs and a much higher gpa?

Getting the highest GPA possible is what gives you the best chance of getting in, especially in a competative environment. Frankly, they don't care about your passion if you can't make the grade.

"I watch the Operation on TLC all the time, and Quincy and ER are my favorite shows. I know I'm only a C student, but I really, REALLY want to be a doctor! I've dreamed of it since I was little. Lemme in, please?"

I use med as an example, but can apply to any post graduate program.

PaleRider
05-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by benyl

No flame detected :) It's acutally pretty good advice and what I am thinking as well. I took some econ courses and found it quite boring (Tracey) and didn't give it my 100%. .

thanks for everyone's input.