PDA

View Full Version : UC photography course

Pihsiak
05-26-2006, 04:21 PM
UofC has a photography course they offer ever spring/summer and I always wanted to take it.

but from the discription

Art 235 H(3-3)
Introduction to Photography

Black and white and colour photographic processes with emphasis on the potential for accuracy and realism in the photographic image. 35 MM manual camera required.

I sat in a class or 2 last year and it taught stuff I already knew and I feel like they focus more on developing the photos and printing rather than aquiring the photographer's eye.

and you need to bring in a film camera....

Any opinions from anyone who has taken the course
Summer is gonna be taught by LR MACCANNELL if that means anything.

davidI
05-27-2006, 01:16 AM
I took it and enjoyed it. Yes, it focusses on the basics and you won't learn a lot that way but I enjoyed all of the darkroom time. You don't get a 'photographer's eye' as far as composition and what not, but through all of the darkroom time you do learn how to make a good black and white print. I'd say my eye improved as far as good exposure/contrast levels for prints. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well that has translated to colour & digital photography...

AccentAE86
05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
My wife took it, and yes, it doesn't teach you photography, it teaches you how to develop prints. Though you need your own camera to go out and take pictures in the first place.

But it doesn't teach you much about the art of taking the picture itself. Still, it's a useful and fun course according to her.

Ekliptix
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Many yrs ago I took Intro to Digital Photography. It taught me what DOF meant, shutterspeed effects, a little composition, the basics.
I recommend it if you are entering the hobby.