PDA

View Full Version : FAQ-For Shaw Users. Learn how to take use of your 20mb webspace

nismodrifter
05-26-2006, 07:17 PM
This topic comes up pretty much daily. People on here have a TON of problems uploading/finding space to store pictures, videos, and all sorts of stuff. Most people resort to using free services that end up resizing your images so they look like crap or just give up on hosting your images and never end up sharing them.

So, I am creating this document to instruct people how to take use of the 20mb of space that every Shaw email address is alotted. Take note, for every shaw account you are allowed to have 7 email addresses...so that means that you have a total of 140mb of space to hold your stuff over 7 accounts. Maybe set one of your accounts to hold your images, another for videos, another for sound clips, etc.

Here's how you do it:

1. go to http://manage.shaw.ca and login to your account using the information that you use for your shaw email address. If you have Shaw internet but DON'T have a Shaw e-mail address then go here to create one: https://secure.shaw.ca/email/create/CreateNewStep1.asp

2. Click "Manage Web" on the top menu. Once clicked your webspace will be enabled within 15 minutes time.

3. After 15 minutes your webspace will be usable. Now, to navigate to your webspace your address will be:
http://members.shaw.ca/yourusername/filename

4. To access your webspace and manage your files use Internet Explorer to login to your account.
Type this in the address bar: ftp.shaw.ca
When prompted, type in your email address information (username/password).
You will now be logged into a screen which lists the files you have uploaded.
The default file will be listed home.html.
I would recommend DELETING this file.
Deleting it allows you to BROWSE your files by going to http://members.shaw.ca/yourusername/
If you do not delete it then you will get an error page when you go to that address.
The only reason that I would keep that file is if you have material that you do not want others to see but the downside to this is that you will have to know your filenames to be able to link to them.
Deleting that home.html file allows you to browse your space (ie: browse the main directory) so that you have all the files that are uploaded in a list just like on your computer. It is a very easy way of managing/accessing/sharing your files.

5. Upload Your Files:
This is very easy.
You have that ftp.shaw.ca window open and you are logged in.
Simply copy and paste the files you want to upload into that window.
It's that simple.
Example: You have an image called mycar.jpg on your desktop. Go to your desktop, right click on that image, hit copy. Then switch to that ftp.shaw.ca window and right click-->paste. Bada bing bada boom you're done.
The address for that file will be http://members.shaw.ca/yourusername/mycar.jpg
Feel free to now post that picture of your car everywhere.

6. For advanced users: You don't have to use internet explorer to access your webspace via FTP. Feel free to use any FTP client to access it. I use an old skool version of WSFTP but there are tons out there that are available for free. Just check out www.downloads.com or something to find one. You would set the address to ftp.shaw.ca and then type in your username/password as before.

I hope that this guide is helpful for all Shaw users that never knew that they had webspace and/or people who did not know how to use it.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions then please post. I hope that this information will solve alot of the headache that people have when searching for space to store their images.

dj_rice
05-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for this, when I got Shaw, I couldnt figure for the life of me how to use my webspace...so just ended up using Photobucket thanks a bunch :thumbsup:

Tealc
07-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Use Shaw Photoshare !!!

JAYMEZ
07-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Awesome , thanks :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
07-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Someone should do a Telus one too.

EK 2.0 is an FTP master.

He was gonna change his name to EK 2.0 HAWTISOFTPHAXOROMGHI2UASL.

benyl
07-19-2006, 11:01 AM
This applies to TELUS subscribers too. You get webspace for free... I dunno how much though.

EK 2.0
07-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Someone should do a Telus one too.

EK 2.0 is an FTP master.

He was gonna change his name to EK 2.0 HAWTISOFTPHAXOROMGHI2UASL.

hahahahahahahaa....

Kenny wouldn't let me said it was too many characters...

nismodrifter
07-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Tealc
Use Shaw Photoshare !!!

I just checked out Shaw Photoshare and found that it does not really serve the purpose of uploading stuff so that everbody (ie: people on forums, and everybody on the internet) can see them. Shaw Photoshare is more intended for say sending pictures of your birthday party/family vaaction to certain family/friends only.

FiveFreshFish
07-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Excellent post. :thumbsup:

I've been using it for years now and surprised how many people don't even know about it. You're paying for it, so might as well take advantage of it!

harley11
12-05-2006, 12:50 AM
I can't figure this out as im not a computer guy...i get as far as entering the :

When prompted, type in your email address information (username/password).

i do that but then nothing happens...

can someone set this up i have a shaw account and ill give you a password if it only takes a minute to do...
:confused: it would be much appreciated.

inline6turbo
03-12-2007, 01:44 AM
OMG I wish I would have found this earlier... so much better!

Thanks so much!

I bow down to you :clap:

haunt
03-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I cant get the upload file to paste in to the browser! someone help please.
Is it because Im using Firefox? Im on a mac so no IE. and when I use safari it just opens the site in Firefox.

Caustic Cheese
12-23-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm a Shaw TSR, and I know that by default the webspace feature is not enabled on everyone's email address; any new email addresses won't have webspace unless you specify to a rep that you want it. This can be activated at no charge by calling the Shaw support line: (403) 716-6000 for customer support and (403) 750-6990 for technical support.

thetransporter
07-12-2014, 12:01 AM
I know this is from 2006 but 20mb webspace? was this just for a few html files with no pictures.............

BokCh0y
07-12-2014, 12:30 AM
I think it's still a 20mb webspace from shaw haha.

Also your sig has some crazy upload/download speed shizzle.

revelations
07-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Take note, for every shaw account you are allowed to have 7 email addresses...so that means that you have a total of 140mb of space to hold your stuff over 7 accounts. Maybe set one of your accounts to hold your images, another for videos, another for sound clips, etc.

140MB :rofl: Thats about 14 RAW images from my Point and SHoot camera.

GLad most services have moved on!

thetransporter
12-12-2016, 09:54 PM
2017 is 2 weeks ago a way is it 20mb or 140 , will costs make them downgrade to 5-10?

jwslam
12-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter
2017 is 2 weeks ago a way is it 20mb or 140 , will costs make them downgrade to 5-10?
How many drinks have you had? :rofl: :rofl:

carson blocks
12-13-2016, 10:44 AM
It's funny this thread got bumped. Shaw just sent out a notice that it was cancelling this service and a few others.

-------------- Email from Shaw - Dec 7/16 -----------------

Starting on March 6, 2017, the following services currently included with your Internet plan are being retired:

Members.shaw.ca
Webspace
Photo Share
Video Mail

We understand that the information and assets stored on your accounts are important to you. You will continue to have access to the contents of your account until March 6, 2018. After this date, your contents will no longer be accessible. However, we encourage you to move your items to other services, such as WordPress, Facebook, Google Photos or YouTube as soon as possible to avoid losing any important photos and/or information.
--------------------

I guess if you guys are using any of this stuff, it's time to move it.

nismodrifter
12-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Well thats BS. I still have my old car pics etc on shaw space. Thanks for posting, will remember to move them all to drop box.

RIP 20mb.

I'll leave this sticked for the next bit then remove it.

speedog
12-29-2016, 09:19 PM
So no web space with Shaw while TELUS offers 5Gb? What gives - do people just not use their web space?

thetransporter
09-17-2017, 02:13 AM
so its gone.

we had www.shaw.wave.ca webspace in 1997 then it was rebranded @home.com (along with cable operators in North America) a short time later. its amazing they kept it 20mb for about 20 years.

rage2
09-17-2017, 07:19 AM
I think we should keep it stickied for another 20 years. Thoughts?

firebane
09-17-2017, 08:13 AM
I think we should keep it stickied for another 20 years. Thoughts?

Maybe till 2020?

Kobe
04-30-2018, 12:14 AM
BUMP

TO THE TOP.. Oh Wait..

Thanks for the info and great sticky!

Updates? Video tutorial?

Xtrema
05-07-2018, 01:17 PM
BUMP

TO THE TOP.. Oh Wait..

Thanks for the info and great sticky!

Updates? Video tutorial?

Too late? :D

As of March 6, 2017, Webspace, Photo Share, Video Mail, and members.shaw.ca have been retired.

We understand that the information and assets stored on your accounts are important to you. You will continue to have access to the contents of your accounts until March 6, 2018 before 12pm EST; however, we encourage you to move your items to other services, such as WordPress, Facebook, Google Photos or YouTube as soon as possible to avoid losing any important photos and/or information.