PDA

View Full Version : C5 Vette problems?

tokes
05-26-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm going down to Houston to pick up a 99 FRC Vette with the 6-speed next weekend, just wondering if there are any specific problems I should look out for before I take the plunge on it. I'm driving it back up, if that makes any difference on what to look out for.

Going to be one hell of a first car, makes 70 hour work weeks so worth it :)

ringmaster
05-26-2006, 08:00 PM
wow nice! watch out for cops! might wanna get the car inspected before you buy and also have all paperwork ready for the border....

big mooe
05-26-2006, 08:24 PM
yea have all paper ork ready when u get to the border and good luck!:thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
05-27-2006, 11:36 AM
^ I've imported a vehicle from the states before, make sure you DONT go through the Sweetgrass/Coutes Border crossing, their anal as it gets. :(

You've checked out www.riv.ca right? the border needs the paper work 48 hours in advance before you plan on reaching the crossing. Its a cool drive, I drove mine up from Atlanta Georgia exactly a year ago. It helps to register the car down in Texas and drive it up that way, since "In-transit" permits work for the province of Alberta only, as do dealerplates. That way you can also drive your car around with your Texas plate on it, until your Federal and Provincial inspections are done, and you can finally have a Alberta plate on your car (about a two month process.. after you get your Form one and two from RIV)

The C5 is a wicked car, my boss has a 2002 Red softtop with a black interior... that he's selling (bought an AMG softtop coupe)
No problems at all with it, totally reliable, no recalls too IIRC.

95EagleAWD
05-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Sweetgrass/Couts wasn't that bad. They let me through without much of a hassle.

Just make sure you bring the right shit with you.

barbarian
05-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Can you register a car in Texas without Texas ID or a Texas address?