PDA

View Full Version : "Dani California" plagiarized?

D'z Nutz
05-26-2006, 08:32 PM
http://www.wgmd.com/newspost/fullnews.php?id=1142

Is it a last dance for popular rock group The Red Hot Chili Peppers or a petty coincidence?

Callers to WGMD Radio’s Dan Gaffney Morning Show expressed surprise and outrage when Gaffney Show producer Jared Morris uncovered an apparent case of plagiarism in the Chili Peppers’ new hit song “Dani California.”

Morris and Gaffney allege that there are startling similarities between “California” and Rocker Tom Petty’s early 1990’s hit “Mary Jane’s Last Dance.”

“The chord progression, the melody, the tempo, the key, the lyrical theme… they’re identical,” Morris said.

The callers agreed. “I play music myself. Those are the exact chords, the exact pitch, almost the same harmony,” WGMD listener Apostle Ivory Hopkins said. “Good God, Man.”

Morris and Gaffney urge you to decide for yourself.

http://www.wgmd.com/SOUNDS/FEATURES/051706-petty.mp3

Just the track comparisons, minus the jibber jabber:
http://www.jared-morris.com/blog/petty.mp3

1995_GTI_VR6
05-26-2006, 10:43 PM
wow thats unreal

kaput
05-26-2006, 11:10 PM

asuth077
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Probably incidental but non the less someone had to notice along the production way?

l8braker
05-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Gimme a break, this guy's got too much time on his hands. The station must be tanking for him to come up with that bullshit. RHCP would never cop anyone. They're one of the last original groups out there.

1995_GTI_VR6
05-26-2006, 11:53 PM
so what do you call this?

IncredibleToad
05-27-2006, 12:08 AM
WHY CHILI PEPPERS WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY :cry:

three.eighteen.
05-27-2006, 12:12 AM
haha, that's hilarous, i was thinking the same thing the other day..."the chords are the exact same..." but seriously with "popular music" there are only a handful of chord changes/tempos which really make a hit that will play well...after a given amount of time, they're bound to plagiarize each other

nonsane
05-27-2006, 07:56 AM
*Shrug* there are lots of songs like that.

Offspring - Why don't you get a job
Beatles - Ob la di ob la da

Insanely similar song structure/notes.

TurboMedic
05-27-2006, 08:37 PM
It sounds like the tom petty song is sped up a little from original, to make them match up.....I'm too lazy to find out for sure, but I don't remember it being that fast....

three.eighteen.
05-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
It sounds like the tom petty song is sped up a little from original, to make them match up.....I'm too lazy to find out for sure, but I don't remember it being that fast....

actually mary jane's last dance was recorded at a slightly faster pace than the radio single you hear...it was slowed down in the studio, if you try tuning a guitar to standard tuning and playing along, you'll notice that the pitches in the tom petty song are not "standard notes"

3g4me
05-29-2006, 12:16 PM
There are no original chord variations anymore, i can think of a million different songs that use the same chords. What makes this song so different?:dunno: Some people have way too much time on their hands.

shakalaka
05-29-2006, 12:19 PM
O well, I still like the song. Infact I am listening to it right now! lool

sputnik
05-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Wow. They even copied the lyrical structure too in addition to the musical composition.

Brutal. I have listened to their new double CD. The second disc is TERRIBLE.

01RedDX
06-03-2006, 06:01 PM

Rockski
06-03-2006, 06:24 PM
..... that just destroyed my whole faith in the chilli peppers.:(

Ramdawg
06-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Some Dj on these forms create a battle track of these two songs, it would be tight.

gorilla*goggles
06-03-2006, 08:19 PM
They're one of the last original groups out there.

This is the one of the truest statements ive heard. There's no
way john frusciante would stoop that low being one of the
most highly regarded players out there. Yeah it has some of
the same key elements, but with enough time on your
hands you could find tons of songs that sound the same

Turboboost
06-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Thats insane:barf:

habsfan
06-05-2006, 08:12 PM
wow that's an embarassment for the peppers...sure there are only so many chord progressions that can be played, but exact same tempo, same structure, even very very similar lyrical patterns...

urbannomad
06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
maybe they asked permission in private? whats with rihanna's SOS....they used that beat from the other song, of which i have no clue....oh wait tainted love :D

seriously everyone does it....but if this is true then its really sad.:cry: i love the chilli peppers, and too see this is so uncharacteristic. wasn't 'Dani' about all the girls he dated? or something along those lines?

too bad.

Neil4Speed
06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I can kinda see somewhat of a simmilarity, but when I downloaded the Tom Petty song, the difference is not as close as what the anouncer was making such a huge fuss about.

szw
06-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Brutal. I have listened to their new double CD. The entire album is TERRIBLE.

fixed your post

Another album about california, sex, and sex in california. real original

Envitro
06-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Gay... RHCP wouldn't plagiarize Tom Petty...

But the rhythm, pitch/tone, and timing is very similar. However, you can't plagiarize something that can't be copywritten. You can't copyright notes and music, only composition.

And I would say that a layperson wouldn't confuse Dani California with Mary Jane's Last Dance.

With that said, there are only a finite number of musical notes in this world, so coming up with a truly original track is very hard, if not impossible. You're bound to be ripping somebody off, because if it sounds good the odds are that somebody else has already come up with it.

jay42w8
06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
wasnt that song plagerized from the chili peppers own songs? it sounds like all their other crap

3g4me
06-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by jay42w8
wasnt that song plagerized from the chili peppers own songs? it sounds like all their other crap

You sound like crap.:nut:

likwid
06-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad
maybe they asked permission in private? whats with rihanna's SOS....they used that beat from the other song, of which i have no clue....oh wait tainted love :D

seriously everyone does it....but if this is true then its really sad.:cry: i love the chilli peppers, and too see this is so uncharacteristic. wasn't 'Dani' about all the girls he dated? or something along those lines?

too bad.

What Rihanna did was "sample" with permission.. What RHCP was completely rip off..

jay42w8
06-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me

You sound like crap.:nut:

seriously man, dani california sounds exactly like that other california song they had a few years back..at first i thought it was the same song

3g4me
06-07-2006, 06:19 PM
fair enough. I do see in this c.d. that they arnt commiing up with very interesting lyrics but i guess thats what you get with a double c.d.:dunno: