PDA

View Full Version : What do you need to complete to be a realtor?

doublepostwhore
05-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Thats the question, now I am asking because I am an Engg Major, I am either planing on taking my masters in math/physics - or trying for this relator thing.
However my intrests also include real estate and business to some degree.
I want to know if I can take some econ/mngm courses or fnce and which ones (1st year) so that I can start required degree(s) now, and let the PhD sit on the back burner.

Any advice/input is encourage (try to be constructive, but I understand if you need to call me out).

Also from the realtors if you would like to kick your 2c. I would be very VERY appreciative.

Shout out to D. Dub/ZorroAMG/MIWYFSHOT/Weapon R./Jeff for some satire and my daily intake of degredation and all others whom do this/are taking this.

-Adam

BebeAphrodite
05-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Hmm.. I'm a bit confused by your post. I'm not too sure what the following quote means.

I want to know if I can take some econ/mngm courses or fnce and which ones (1st year) so that I can start required degree(s) now, and let the PhD sit on the back burner.

When I took the real estate course, it was completely unrelated to my university studies.

At the time that I did it, I had to go to Mount Royal (I did summer classes). It took me one month to complete and after those classes (designed for 'mature' students) there was an exam you need to pass to become a realtor. The format has changed and the class is longer now, I'm not sure how much longer though.

I just finished an Economics degree and none of my econ classes were even remotely related to real estate aside from off topic commentary that teachers would make about the housing market in class.

Isn't the first year business class (as you were asking for first year business courses) MGST 291 or whatever the equivalent is? I took it back when I was a first year student and before direct entry so I'm not sure what it is now. If that is the case (still a class similar to MGST 291) then there is no real estate content in that class either.

The experience of being a realtor comes from working in the field and working with your broker for questions that you may have. I can't think of any class at university that would give you the same type of experience.

doublepostwhore
05-27-2006, 11:45 PM
^ that was my question exactly.

I was unsure whether it was a university course or just a question of training before become a part of the clagary realtors board.

I was under the impression that you needed a business/finance degree (or some courses) under my belt before I could take course(s) required for this field.

Thanks Bebe.

Weapon_R
05-28-2006, 01:21 AM
The real estate course is completely unrelated to University classes. You can take the realty course (which is 3 months long) but it isn't easy anymore and has become more intense over the past little while. Once you complete the course, you must sign on with a brokerage (examples of this are Remax, Royal LePage, Maxwell, etc) and list homes under that brokerage.

You do not need any post-secondary education to complete the realty course. If you have any questions ost them.

the-240sx-guy
06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
are there any places in Calgary that offer these courses online?

rusich
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Sorry a little off topic. Are there any Canadian Realtor forums out there?