PDA

View Full Version : Newbie cellphone upgrade questions

schurchill39
05-27-2006, 11:09 PM
I currently have a LG 3200 and I was wondering how to go about upgrading it to a better phone. I am bidding on a motorola v505 on ebay (to be exact). The phone is unlocked and it says all I need to do is put my sim card in and go.

First off is actually as easy as that?
Does my current phone even have a sim card?
I read something about how this motorola is a GSM phone, what is it and does that make a difference ?
Is the Motorola V505 even compatible with telus mobility?
If i win the bid (or just buy a new phone) how do I go about switching phones on my plan?

I have seriously been researching for the past hour (and a bit) but I havent found anything to help me out.

Thanks

GQBalla
05-27-2006, 11:11 PM
so your with telus mobility??
if yuor with telus or bell youll be on cmda
fido and rogers is gsm -

if you are with telus dont bother bidding on gsm phones because it wont work for you.

btw
your sig is halorious

toyboy88
05-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
I currently have a LG 3200 and I was wondering how to go about upgrading it to a better phone. I am bidding on a motorola v505 on ebay (to be exact). The phone is unlocked and it says all I need to do is put my sim card in and go.

I read something about how this motorola is a GSM phone, what is it and does that make a difference ?
If i win the bid (or just buy a new phone) how do I go about switching phones on my plan?

I have seriously been researching for the past hour (and a bit) but I havent found anything to help me out.

Thanks

- if you had a gsm phone with a sim card on a plan, and u bought a new gsm phone..yes u can just swap the sim cards and everything is good to go
- no if your with telus your phone is CDMA network, sim card phones are GSM network
- no if the v505 is GSM (uses sim card) it's not compatible with telus

BebeAphrodite
05-28-2006, 09:38 PM

Thanks

I really hope that you lost the auction bc the phone is useless for telus.
To get a new phone you have to buy it out unless you are eligible for an upgrade.

schurchill39
05-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Yea after another hr of research i realised that it was a waste of money because it wouldnt work for me so I retracted my bid and placed a very low bid (to comply with ebay rules) which was outbid very quickly. Thanks for the help.

If i find a phone that is CDMA (or telus compatible) how do I go about swaping out phones?

BebeAphrodite
05-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Yea after another hr of research i realised that it was a waste of money because it wouldnt work for me so I retracted my bid and placed a very low bid (to comply with ebay rules) which was outbid very quickly. Thanks for the help.

If i find a phone that is CDMA (or telus compatible) how do I go about swaping out phones?

To swap phones it HAS to be Telus' CDMA, not just anyone's CDMA. But to swap phones you get the Telus phone and pay $25 to do an equipment exchange on it to put it on your line.

umreeka91
05-31-2006, 10:00 PM

Si_FlyGuy
05-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by umreeka91
hey buddy, i am selling my V505 UNLOCKED!!!! email me

[email protected] cheers!

I'd call you an ass, but that would be too nice of a statement.