PDA

View Full Version : used car inspection process

jaysas_63
05-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Hey guys,

I did a quick search but came up with nothing, so hopefully you guys can help a guy out.

I recently totaled my C230K, and am in the market for a new car. I am planning on buying used this time around. I have never done this before, and would like some pointers from the experienced beyond crowd.

Anyways, to the question: What are the areas that I should make sure are tested in the mechanical inspection, and how should they be tested? i.e. how would I insure that the car I’m buying isn't a lemon that I would have to drop huge amounts of cash into.

The car I’m planning on buying is very expensive to maintain to say the least, and don't want to get stuck with a money pit, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

gwild
05-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Get the VIN - do a Vehicle History Report from the local registry office (make sure it wasn't a salvage)

If report is clean, do a mechanical inspection

Check reviews on http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/used/

Rgds...Geoff

jaysas_63
05-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by gwild
Get the VIN - do a Vehicle History Report from the local registry office (make sure it wasn't a salvage)

If report is clean, do a mechanical inspection

Check reviews on http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/used/

Rgds...Geoff

thanks, but i'm looking for more help on specific problem areas of the engine that i should have checked out for example the compression test.

come on ppl, throw me a bone!:thumbsup:

Oldskool
05-29-2006, 09:53 AM
I think that every car has its own problem areas.

You should do what I did, look for a car, and when you find one that you really like, do a whole bunch of research on what the common problems of that car are, and if you do run into these problems is the fix easy or what. All you need to do is google your question, theres a huge world of answers

gwild
05-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Well - if you go to that auto.consumerguide - it will tell you specific problems for specific cars for specific years.

As far as compression test - depends.

I did it for my daughters car - because of the high mileage on it.

Rgds...Geoff

kaput
05-29-2006, 04:13 PM

88CRXGUY
05-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Yep. You can get an insurance inspection done, and it does cover just about everything. I just bought a car about a week ago, and the inspection turned up alot of things. That kind of inspection gives you the chance to see whats possibly wrong with the car with it before you buy it.

When it comes to getting a used car there isn't much that all that can be done to seeing what problems that may lie ahead. You can try to do seaches online about what common problems(possible recalls with the car). But get a carfax is possible, run the vin#, get an inspection. You could aways go to a dealer if you don't want to buy private, but they charge more but you get somewhat of a warrenty.

nonsane
05-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
Yep. You can get an insurance inspection done, and it does cover just about everything. I just bought a car about a week ago, and the inspection turned up alot of things. That kind of inspection gives you the chance to see whats possibly wrong with the car with it before you buy it.

I trusted an insurance inspection for one of my cars, then after i found a big rust hole in the floorboard. Now i don't trust them to inspect anything.

The new insurance inspections don't really cover much

http://www.finance.gov.ab.ca/publications/insurance/super_bulletin0506.pdf

I was told by my insurance company that due to a new law(April 1st 2006) an insurance company cannot require more than that for a (liability only) inspection. This form does not even check the speedometer.

I check things myself. like check all the suspension/strut towers/mounts for rust. Make sure the brake pedal has a good feel. No play in the steering. Compression test. Floorboards for rust.

When you go to see the car before they start it up, check to see that the engine is not warm(that they have started it before you came) As they could be hiding a problem it has when the block is cold.

IF it's a newer car do a lein check at the registry(costs $8.50)

88CRXGUY
06-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Yeah man I had that shit happen to me too. Got the car inspected and found out a bunch of shit is wrong. Its also hard for people that aren't mechanically incline to check these certain things. I use to trust mechanics I don't anymore.

Heres a question? Does anyone know if you get a car inspected(by a legal govenment inspected company) if you find out your car was unsafe or major things were wrong, could you go after that company? Could you go after that company even though they said your car was safe when it actually wasn't?

nonsane
06-05-2006, 07:36 AM
If you say JUST get an inspection and the brakes fail, i believe you can, otherwise imo it's too hard to prove.