PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Get a Strong Core and Abs?

SteveMo600
05-28-2006, 02:02 AM
I know that a strong core is really important as it's the framework for just about everything. I am wondering what the best types of excercises are for getting a strong and toned stomach.

I've also heard that abs are significantly attributed to cardio and diet? People who sit there and do a thousand crunchies wonder why they are significantly improving their abs and it's because they may not do enough cardio and eat shit. Is this true?

Any advice, information or excercise suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1-Cent
05-28-2006, 03:03 AM
A strong core is built over time, you don't work it specificly, and its a lot more than your abs.

Deadlift and squat, all you need to know until you platue in that area. Visible abs are diet related, drop your bodyfat below 8%, everyone has abs, just everyone can't see them.

1-Bar
05-31-2006, 05:33 AM
using the swiss ball will help you develop a strong core. There around countless exercises you can do to target your abs, hip flexors, lower back just by using this peice of equipment.....

Mckenzie
05-31-2006, 09:40 AM
The swiss ball pike is a great excercise for your abs and core (and it works that muscle at the bottom of your abs that girls love).

Go here....there are many other things on this website as well.

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/92

cujo_cjc
05-31-2006, 10:12 AM
I have one of those balls at home. I usually use it to sit on while watching TV.
I guess I can make more use of it now :rofl:

Neil4Speed
05-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Pilates is really good. Probably something that you would get a tape for and do at home rather than joining a class.

davidI
05-31-2006, 09:05 PM
To me a strong core is strong stabilizer muscles...and to work those I usually lighten the weight I'm pushing for common exercises and do them in an 'off-balance' way. It's not something I do often as normally I'm targeting specific muscles, but every once in a while I'll do a light day where I bench press with my knees in the air, do bicep curls on a swiss ball and other weird stuff I normally would never think to do. Watching most personal trainers work it looks like they're always 'strengthening the core' using all their swiss balls and power bands and stuff.

As far as abs go, crunches are good to get a bit of muscle there but once you have some abs underneath the fat it's all diet to make them show.

Unknown303
06-03-2006, 07:26 AM
I would super recommend Pilates and Yoga. I have been doing both a lot lately and they are super good for abs. I always feel more burnt from a 30-45 min pilates session that i do sitting at the gym pumping weights and doing crunchs for 1-1.5 hours.

I would also second the swiss ball, it really helps to get the motion of crunchs and other exersices down pat.

Vagabond142
06-03-2006, 07:44 PM
A great core exercise can be done with an exercise ball or a medicine ball (better with exercise ball). Get into the pushup, fully extended position with your upper shin/lower knee area resting on the top of the ball. Make sure your legs are together. Draw your knees up to your chest without them touching the ground. You should end up in the push up, extended position with your knees touching your chest, your ankles/top of the foot on the top of the ball. Slowly uncoil to the starting position. Do 10 times, then collapse in pain because it hurts so much. :thumbsup:

This helps the core because you have to keep lateral movement under control, so your sides get a good strengthening, and it needs a good bit of core power, so your abs and back get a good workout too

5abi
06-17-2006, 04:24 AM
whats a strong core?

b_t
06-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 5abi
whats a strong core?

the difference between doing dumb bell presses at 100% of your normal on an exercise ball like its no thing, or doing them at 50% your normal weight and wobbling all over the place

Unknown303
06-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by 5abi
whats a strong core?

A strong core would consist of all the muscles located in your trunk area being well maintained. Having a strong core is the base of every workout you should ever think of, once you have a strong core the rest of your body works better/easier because your not wasting excess energy stabalizing yourself.

xxjessmicaxx
06-27-2006, 07:19 PM
try the eurowave!! works amazing!!

www.bodyinnovations.ca

BebeAphrodite
06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by xxjessmicaxx
try the eurowave!! works amazing!!

www.bodyinnovations.ca

You've tried it?
I was reading the testimonials.
I guess one person lost 9 inches and 10 lbs... strange.

Unknown303
06-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah looked over the site and that looks pretty intense. Anyone actually been to these treatments.

snade831
06-27-2006, 09:28 PM
cardio (running) is always important for your core too

Unknown303
06-28-2006, 08:52 AM
^^^ Thats true. The best way to make your core noticable is to shed some body fat as the less fat around your stomach the more those core muscles will show through.

GingeRRRBeef
06-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Try this exercise

http://web.mensfitness.com/images/mf/208796/7599.jpg

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/92

*j.lynne*
06-29-2006, 01:47 AM
I've tried the Eurowave before! It's amazing. It's not fake - I was shocked!

It works by helping you lose inches in hard places! I lost 7 inches total in 10 sessions - and they have stayed off for 10 months.

I'd totally recommend it.
:guns: