PDA

View Full Version : losing hp when using race fuel?

Ed the SOHC
07-11-2002, 12:37 PM
I missed the conversation with rage2 explaining when you lose hp if you use race fuel. Can you explain it again? and why?

Ekliptix
07-11-2002, 12:44 PM
just a guess:
race fuel has a higher octane. higher octane gas is harder to burn/less combustable which is good to prevent detonation in high compression engines/FI engines/advanced timing. So if you are not close to detonation, using a less combustable gas may give you less power.

rage2
07-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Alright, here's the conversation from yesterday. With buh_buh's car, he's not getting any detonation at all with his timing settings, so there's no need to go with a higher octane fuel. Higher octane fuel doens't magically give power, it gives power by raising the detonation limit so you can run more agressive timing, or more boost. Since he's not at the detonation limits, there's no need to move to a higher octane. With race fuel (VP103 for example), the burn speed is slower, so with identical timing/boost settings, you lose a bit of power. Of course in cars like mine, that lost power is easily recovered by adding another 10psi of boost and a few degrees of timing.

Davan
07-11-2002, 02:35 PM
That makes sense. I always wondered the same thing.

I've been told by a few people I should run premium, and always said no. Now I can explain why not, make it sound like I know what I'm talking about... ;) :D

Speed_RaSiR
07-11-2002, 03:25 PM
What about high octane and VTEC? Any info on that?

James
07-11-2002, 03:26 PM
So Is this true with Premium gas too?(91-91 octane) my car has only had Premium gas its whole life. But I wonder, is it really worth it?, its only a 1.6, or does engine size even matter?:confused: :dunno:

Davan
07-11-2002, 03:44 PM
I think compression and timing have more to do with it, than engine size.

Most VTEC engines require premium, do they not?

rage2
07-11-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Davan
I think compression and timing have more to do with it, than engine size.

Bingo.

If the manufacturer recommends 87, use 87... any higher is completely useless.

cocoabrova
07-11-2002, 04:03 PM
What about the Chevron Super Supreme Plus you can get in Van. (94 octane)... Is that going to make much of a difference over the 92 Esso here? And can someone please verify this thing that I heard about Hondas (especially VTEC-equipped) should NEVER use the 93 Mohawk Supreme-soemthing about the ethanol and Honda engines.... :dunno: :thumbsup:

James
07-11-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Bingo.

If the manufacturer recommends 87, use 87... any higher is completely useless.

So if Toyota says use 87, should i just switch to 87 now? because the car has only ever had 90+ octane. I dont care about the price of the gas, i was just curious if it is Actually doing anything?:confused: :dunno:

rage2
07-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by James
So if Toyota says use 87, should i just switch to 87 now? because the car has only ever had 90+ octane. I dont care about the price of the gas, i was just curious if it is Actually doing anything?:confused: :dunno:

90+ isn't doing anything for your engine.

rage2
07-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
What about the Chevron Super Supreme Plus you can get in Van. (94 octane)... Is that going to make much of a difference over the 92 Esso here?

Sure, for my car, I can turn up the boost and get more power without detonation. 92 octane I can run 12psi max, probably 16psi for 94 octane.

For stock cars, it won't make a difference at all.

G
07-11-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
What about the Chevron Super Supreme Plus you can get in Van. (94 octane)... Is that going to make much of a difference over the 92 Esso here? And can someone please verify this thing that I heard about Hondas (especially VTEC-equipped) should NEVER use the 93 Mohawk Supreme-soemthing about the ethanol and Honda engines.... :dunno: :thumbsup:

I used Husky once in the Prelude and that was enough for me. It made my idle bounce all over the place at idle. :thumbsdow

G
07-11-2002, 04:38 PM

People buy Primium gas thinking that the quality is better but I don't think this is the case.

James
07-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2

90+ isn't doing anything for your engine.

So, its basically pointless to be running premium? what about when i hopefully turbo the engine next summer? I will need premium then right? would it be better to just keep using premium till then, or is the difference marginal? :confused: sorry for all the dumb questions.:dunno:

rage2
07-11-2002, 05:21 PM
So, its basically pointless to be running premium? what about when i hopefully turbo the engine next summer? I will need premium then right? would it be better to just keep using premium till then, or is the difference marginal? :confused: sorry for all the dumb questions.:dunno:

It depends... you'll know when your engine knocks =).

Ferio_vti
07-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Some cars that require high octane end up getting some engine knock. I'm not sure what the deal with that is... Can anyone give some input??

rage2
07-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Some cars that require high octane end up getting some engine knock. I'm not sure what the deal with that is... Can anyone give some input??

No new cars have that problem. Some high output engines are tuned really close to the limits of pump fuel, those engines are smart enough to recognize really light knock and retard timing and remember to keep the timing back to avoid future knock. Unless your car is a M car or AMG car, I doubt you'll run into such issues. Like I said, follow the manufacturer recommended octane and you can't go wrong.

kenny
07-12-2002, 01:33 AM
For those of you who fill up with premium just for the additives that are only found in premium fuel, you can save yourself a small chunk of change by using midgrade fuel. Gas stations only carry two kinds of fuel, regular, and premium. Midgrade fuel is just a mix of the two. For those of you who fill up with premium for extra performance, when your car only needs 87 octane fuel, you're just wasting good money that can be spent on pho.

2000impreza
07-12-2002, 06:45 AM
if you can advance your timing for higher octane i think it would be worth it. other wise its just a waste of money unless you are running some sort of forced induction.

4wheeldrift
07-12-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by kenny
For those of you who fill up with premium just for the additives that are only found in premium fuel, you can save yourself a small chunk of change by using midgrade fuel. Gas stations only carry two kinds of fuel, regular, and premium. Midgrade fuel is just a mix of the two. For those of you who fill up with premium for extra performance, when your car only needs 87 octane fuel, you're just wasting good money that can be spent on pho.

Not all stations use blender pumps though. Most of the sites from bigger companies do (Shell, Petro Canada, Esso)

Davan
07-12-2002, 09:27 AM
All this great info should go in an article on the site or something... for future reference. :thumbsup:

E36M3
07-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Rage is right. High Octane gas is only of benefit to cars with high compression or forced induction which are designed to utilize it.

For example, my M3 motor is designed to work with 91 octane fuel or higher, but I had the engine computer reprogrammed so that it is optimized for 92. Since it has a built in knock sensor, if I put in mid grade (which I do sometimes when the gas prices get too high) it retards timing and lowers power in order to prevent the knocking.

In my Saab, I have to put in 89 or higher, and it makes absolutely no difference (at least that I can tell) to put in 91. I suppose if I got a boost controller I could up the PSI if I went with 91, but fuck that.

RCBVtec
07-13-2002, 08:33 AM
This is great info guys... even just reading through it all you can pick up some helpful pointers... Thanks!!! :thumbsup: