PDA

View Full Version : Car Classes question.

Driver2kxx
05-28-2006, 08:14 PM
There is several car classes as Sedan (L or LX Class), Coupe (C Class), Cabriolet (K Class) etc.
What kind of classification this letters come from, is there some place on net where i can see all class letter and what they mean?
I read on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_classification) but it dont answers my question.

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2006, 08:07 AM
I think what your talking about is manufactuer specific, so if you are more specific we can probably help you better.

Mark

Driver2kxx
05-29-2006, 08:37 PM
E.G. here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz#External_links) in the bottom of page there is 'Mercedes-Benz road car timeline' and there is raw called 'Class' what i want to know according to what they assigned this letters to certain car types (e.g. 'SUV' is 'G' cass).
If they took this class letters out of nothing why other manufacturers use same identification (e.g. this car class C this class A).

Driver2kxx
06-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Someone answer please!

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm still not 100% sure of your question, but manufactuers make up whatever they want to call their cars. For example the Mercedes has several of their own classes, C, CL, CLK, E, ML, S, SL, SLK, CLS, G, R, and B (more in europe i think, like A class). Take 'C' Class, for example. It has within it the C230, C350, C55 AMG. They use that 'C' designation in the same way BMW would use, say '3 Series', which within it is the 325, 330, M3, etc. I don't think many other brands have such organized labelling methods to use as examples, but I have never heard of universal labelling like I think your talking about where c = coupe, k = cabriolet, etc. When mercedes says "c" class or bmw says "3 series" they are refering to only their vehicles and not a universal class of any kind. With mercedes, CLK, SLK, SL and CL are all coupes, where S, CLS, E, R, B, ML, G, C (except the 230kompressor coupe) are all sedans/suv's.

If this doesn't help please try be more specific with your question and we'll do the best we can.

Mark

benyl
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
There is no answer to your question.

Mercedes uses the term "Class" for each vehicle line.

BMW uses Series. i.e. 3-series, 5-series.

Chrysler and GM use "platforms."

There isn't a universal answer to your question.

Cornfed
06-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I think he may be referring to C class, B class, S class, K(or Kei, forgot) etc. C being a lower end car, like civics and sentras. I don't know too much about what all the specifications of each class are but I think this is what he's talking about. If nobody understands me then just ignore what I just said :D