PDA

View Full Version : Dyno my car

civic_rida
04-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Im thinkin about goin this weekend of next weekend n gettin my car dynoed to see if its makin at least stock hp. Anywayz i was wonderin what i would need to tune the car. I know vafc would work good or hondata but thats like pretty expensive. Do those fuel pressure regulators help? Also can the dyno guy check if my timing is okay n maybe try advancing it?

B18C
04-03-2003, 07:56 PM
What kind of mods do you have?

B18C
04-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
You can check and advance/retard the timing yourself on a lot of cars...Would be harder to advance it on the civic tho...But you could proly still do it yourself...

WTF are you talking about?

2000impreza
04-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by B18C

WTF are you talking about?

no shit. i feel retarded after reading that post :rolleyes:

tegdream
04-03-2003, 09:24 PM
i never thought Xylathane could talk bout himself so much in one phrase...i wish we could retard ur retardness :banghead:

XylathaneGTR
04-03-2003, 10:20 PM
hahahaa...
Havn't you guys ever advanced the timing on a car? Loosen distributor cap, take a timing light, attach it to the first sparkplug wire, and shine the light at the Harmonic Balancer ( i think its called, forgot, at the front of the engine, behind the fan) and then you can move the distributor w/ your hand clockwise, or counter clockwise, while the car is in Neutral/Park, and with the timing light, you can retard or advance the timing in degrees very easliy...

While your shining the timing light at the Harmonic whatever it is...There's a notch in it that lines up with a little...uhh, Marking gague for lack of a better term...The cars we used to do this on in our gay shop at school were commonly set to 8 degrees Before TDC...

Guess no one understands wtf im talking about...Meh. (That said, in return to "Also can the dyno guy check if my timing is okay n maybe try advancing it?" What Civic Rida said...)

Roaring G60
04-03-2003, 11:12 PM
That works for V8, but because most FWD car have transversly mounted motors you have to find the peep hole ontop of the bell housing and aim the timing light through there, onto the flywheel, there "should" be a mark on it.

B18C
04-03-2003, 11:48 PM
hahahaa...
Havn't you guys ever advanced the timing on a car? Loosen distributor cap, take a timing light, attach it to the first sparkplug wire, and shine the light at the Harmonic Balancer ( i think its called, forgot, at the front of the engine, behind the fan) and then you can move the distributor w/ your hand clockwise, or counter clockwise, while the car is in Neutral/Park, and with the timing light, you can retard or advance the timing in degrees very easliy...

While your shining the timing light at the Harmonic whatever it is...There's a notch in it that lines up with a little...uhh, Marking gague for lack of a better term...The cars we used to do this on in our gay shop at school were commonly set to 8 degrees Before TDC...

Guess no one understands wtf im talking about...Meh. (That said, in return to "Also can the dyno guy check if my timing is okay n maybe try advancing it?" What Civic Rida said...)

That's great but you shouldn't advance your timing for no reason. If you are going to do it you are going to need a dyno for sure or else you don't know if you are making or losing power. You have to be careful about engine knock.

Generally speaking, cars come from the factory pretty well tuned and unless you have at least a few mods (ie more than intake, and exhaust) you aren't going to gain very much from playing with ignition timing.

Weapon_R
04-04-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by civic_rida
Im thinkin about goin this weekend of next weekend n gettin my car dynoed to see if its makin at least stock hp. Anywayz i was wonderin what i would need to tune the car. I know vafc would work good or hondata but thats like pretty expensive. Do those fuel pressure regulators help? Also can the dyno guy check if my timing is okay n maybe try advancing it?

I'm not sure you know what you are doing or why you are dynoing your car.

1) You want to know if your basically stock car is making stock Horsepower. Why?

2) You don't need a vafc or a hondata to tune a stock car. What exactly are you going to "tune"?

3) Fuel pressure regulators and advanced timing won't help your car much, and they put unneccesary strain on the engine that isn't worth the time or cost.

GTS Jeff
04-04-2003, 03:44 AM
ahhh this is a funny thread (in a bad way) and xylathane is a funny guy (in a bad way)

anyway, its never a bad thing to do a baseline run to see where u start for hp when stock...but when ppl talk about dyno tuning they mean that they get their cars on the dyno and play with their fuel maps etc to get their cars to make as much power as possible with their mods.

XylathaneGTR
04-05-2003, 01:31 AM
hahaha...
Yeah, i know i am in a bad way...
But when everyones liek WTF? I just thought i should explain myself, No point in paying someone else to do it for you when you can...

Phats
04-05-2003, 02:43 AM
you might want to read this before you start advancing your timing, so you actually know the effects of it rida

timing advance (http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=235)

max_boost
04-05-2003, 05:03 AM
Dyno it now......and get a supercharger and dyno it again :D

Phats
04-05-2003, 02:33 PM
haha, yeah do that ^

civic_rida
04-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Weapon R
My car isnt stock

B18C
04-06-2003, 10:45 AM
hahaha...
Yeah, i know i am in a bad way...
But when everyones liek WTF? I just thought i should explain myself, No point in paying someone else to do it for you when you can...

That's the thing. You can't do it yourself. You need to do it on a dyno or else you will have no idea if you are adding or losing power.

If you want to tune you could get a FPR. They aren't bad for the money and depending on the mods you have they may yield some power. Plus, they are pretty easy to use.

XylathaneGTR
04-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Hmmm...I see.
But you could still adjust the timing your self...Just yah, no real point i guess... Hmmm....Nevermind then.
I just realized... CivicRida, I love your car...I sawed it in the Members gallery, and i recognized it from WoW...I was with Pearson when you were talking to him...Niiiice ride man...So Cleeeean

civic_rida
04-06-2003, 10:04 PM
thanx dude

Mike09
04-07-2003, 12:38 PM
what mods do ya have on there.

civic_rida
04-07-2003, 10:19 PM
engine mods ?

buh_buh
04-07-2003, 10:41 PM
engine mods ? yeah, well this thread IS about dynoing your car isn't it?

civic_rida
04-07-2003, 10:44 PM
buh buh ur so smart

exhaust n intake

B18C
04-07-2003, 11:31 PM
buh buh ur so smart

exhaust n intake

If that is all you have you are not going to gain much from tuning your A/F or ignition timing.

Getting some baseling numbers would still be a good idea though if you are looking to do some major engine mods soon.

Weapon_R
04-08-2003, 12:41 AM
buh buh ur so smart

exhaust n intake

lol I said earlier that your car was basically stock...By the sounds of it, you're not going to gain anything by using a vafc. A fuel management system is used to compensate for increased air by adding or subtracting the amount of fuel you have going into the engine. Since you don't have any real mods, no point in "tuning" it on a dyno.

GTS Jeff
04-08-2003, 01:03 AM
exhaust n intake dont tell ppl your car is modified man..intake and exhaust are just sorta stepping stone mods that make other real mods realize their potential.

trying to dynotune your car for intake/exhaust is pretty pointless because your ecu has enuff variability built into it to be able to compensate for such minor mods

civic_rida
04-08-2003, 05:38 PM
comin from a person who drives a 81 Hyundai Accent TR-X Spec R-AC "R-Tuned Edition"

blacklade
04-08-2003, 05:44 PM
it doesn't really sound like hes trying to insult you or anything...hes just giving info

civic_rida
04-08-2003, 05:45 PM
so intake n exhaust = stock .

blacklade
04-08-2003, 05:46 PM
well, pretty close to it, how much hp do you actually think you gained with those two modifications?

buh_buh
04-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Since you don't have any real mods, no point in "tuning" it on a dyno. not true. I only had header and exhaust and I gained 11whp after tuning with Hondata.

GTS Jeff
04-08-2003, 09:41 PM
comin from a person who drives a 81 Hyundai Accent TR-X Spec R-AC "R-Tuned Edition" i think it takes about 45 iq points to recognize that i was joking about the hyundai. guess what that says about u?

btw, take a look at my sig and my nickname..

civic_rida
04-08-2003, 09:55 PM
So what do u drive big guy?

jdmakkord
04-08-2003, 10:01 PM
So what do u drive big guy?

AE86

GTS Jeff
04-08-2003, 11:06 PM
So what do u drive big guy? it takes about 45 iq points to figure out what i drive when there is a little spinny gif in my sig.

you sir, are a moron.

civic_rida
04-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Man who knows u could of made that up too.
Judgin by ur drawing ur not to intelligent

Phats
04-08-2003, 11:25 PM
haha, this looks like it's gonna be another flame war

civic_rida
04-08-2003, 11:26 PM
yea lets drop this

blacklade
04-08-2003, 11:27 PM
its nice to see the thread starter bashing the people who are actually trying to give him some info

GTS Jeff
04-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Man who knows u could of made that up too.
Judgin by ur drawing ur not to intelligent reewrrrr nunnggghhhhhh reerrrr eeeerrrrRRRRRRRRrr :nut:

:rolleyes:

B18C
04-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
not true. I only had header and exhaust and I gained 11whp after tuning with Hondata.

Yes but it's a lot different if you are trying to tune A/F with FPR and ignition by turning the distributor.

buh_buh
04-09-2003, 12:08 AM

Yes but it's a lot different if you are trying to tune A/F with FPR and ignition by turning the distributor. that's true, but I thought he was talking about getting a VAFC?

max_boost
04-09-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
it takes about 45 iq points to figure out what i drive when there is a little spinny gif in my sig.

you sir, are a moron.

Continue the flame so I can close this thread! I haven't done anything as a moderator yet! :rofl:

Ok, here is a warning for both of you, stop the personal arrogant attacks!:guns: :rofl:

GTS Jeff
04-09-2003, 09:29 AM
wtf, max boost is a mod now?! aww crap!! hehe well u must agree that i have every right to flame him when he flames me for trying to help him out :dunno:

uhhh anyway heres some more flaming...

civic_rida, how hard is it to tell that i drive an ae86 when my nickname is "GTS" Jeff and i have a gif of an ae86? how hard is it to tell that the "81 hyundai spec r type tc tuned whatever fuck" is made up, especially when 6 other beyond members have the similar jokes listed as their ride? and now ure trying to call me dumb because of the avatar i have? wtf?! if i posted a cg rendering of a dinosaur would that make me einstein? or are u just trying to pick apart whatever u can find?

you asked a question, and u got your answer. general consensus: tuning for i/e is a waste of money. if u dont like the responses u get, dont ask the questions. thats a heck of a lot better than running your mouth off on the ppl that are trying to be helpful to u.

civic_rida
04-09-2003, 11:56 AM
i still dont believe its a waste of money if your using vafc.
2ndly i wanted to dyno my car to see if it makes at least stock horsepower for the fact that if it doesnt why spend money on aftermarket parts when something might be wrong from the factory.

B18C
04-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Please stop the flame war.

GTS Jeff was just giving you the advice you asked for. There's no need to flame him for telling it like it is. An intake and exhaust is pretty much nothing in terms of increasing tunability.

civic_rida
04-09-2003, 11:59 AM
k

B18C
04-09-2003, 12:10 PM
i still dont believe its a waste of money if your using vafc.
2ndly i wanted to dyno my car to see if it makes at least stock horsepower for the fact that if it doesnt why spend money on aftermarket parts when something might be wrong from the factory.

Well I don't believe it's a waste of money at all. I for one am all for baseline runs. If you have spent the money on a VAFC then I would definitely go to the dyno and do some tuning. Otherwise you have just wasted a bunch of money on a VAFC. I'm just saying not to expect big gains from tuning.

Also, what are you expecting your car to make stock? Remember that manufacturers list the power at the flywheel. Your car will make significantly less than that.

civic_rida
04-09-2003, 05:11 PM
i know but i still want the flywheel hp to = at least 160

GTS Jeff
04-09-2003, 05:13 PM
how do u plan on finding out flywheel hp?

civic_rida
04-09-2003, 05:14 PM
i heard that its usually a 10-15 % decrease from flywheel to wheel hp

GTS Jeff
04-09-2003, 05:18 PM
i heard that its usually a 10-15 % decrease from flywheel to wheel hp drivetrain losses vary from car to car...for example, ludes have about 30% drivetrain loss

civic_rida
04-09-2003, 05:19 PM
is it that high. MMm i thought it would only vary dependent on if the car is fwd , rwd , or awd

buh_buh
04-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
for example, ludes have about 30% drivetrain loss how do you figure?

Ben
04-09-2003, 05:24 PM
how do you figure?

its the new Automatic and RWD model ;)

300rwhp
04-09-2003, 09:00 PM
civic , intake exhaust 160 hp? is it an sir?

GTS Jeff
04-09-2003, 09:58 PM
how do you figure? i duno, i thought i remembered seeing a dyno chart of a lude making 140whp...

B18C
04-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Just for reference. When I baselined my GSR it got 130whp and 104wtq on a car that is rated at 170hp and 128tq. This was on Davenports Dynojet (before they upgraded it)

Joe Malms
04-09-2003, 10:57 PM
30% drivetrain loss my ass...
honda overquoted the hp #'s.

B18C
04-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Joe Malms
30% drivetrain loss my ass...
honda overquoted the hp #'s.

:dunno:

There are lots of people in the states that have GSR's that baselined at 150+whp.

I really don't have an explaination other than our high altitude. I'm not sure if their dynojet corrects to sea level or not but either way I find correction values to be pretty bogus anyways.

scooby_dooby
04-13-2003, 12:50 PM
I know that in an Integra it's between 10-15% loss.

I dynoed my car the other day, it;s 130hp stock, all I have is exhaust.

Corrected dyno numbers were 120hp/116lbs tq, uncorrected was 112/108.

I think my engine's a little bit of a freak, but still there's not much drivetrain loss at all.

three.eighteen.
04-13-2003, 03:02 PM
meh, law of averages...some cars will be below average, others above...and some dead middle...no sense speculating about shit we can't measure...if the price was right, i wouldnt mind baseline dyno'ing my car with that intent in mind...to dyno looking for gains from exhaust and intake...i would say youre gonna be disappointed

rage2
04-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Dyno #'s are for bragging rights. It's what the car beats on the track that matters.

hjr
04-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Dyno #'s are for bragging rights. It's what the car beats on the track that matters.

i dont really agree with that. I think dyno numbers are great. they are way better than most of the guesstimates most of us use. I think what you can tool on the track is important too, but that is more of a driver thing, than car, were as they dyno is purely the car.

B18C
04-13-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I think the dyno is for tuning more than for bragging rights. But I agree that it's the track numbers that count.

theken
04-13-2003, 10:50 PM
i read an article in import tuners "power pages" a while ago that i thought i would share, when they dyno tested a integra i dont remember the exact numbers, but they weren't high, they did an intake headers and exhaust and lost 4 hp and gained 7 lbs of torque. pretty funny when i hear people say i gained 40 hp to the wheels from headers and exhaust, when in actuality u may have lost hp. it was the same as a civic too it had a decent loss in power. pretty funny.

Ben
04-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by theken
i read an article in import tuners "power pages" a while ago that i thought i would share, when they dyno tested a integra i dont remember the exact numbers, but they weren't high, they did an intake headers and exhaust and lost 4 hp and gained 7 lbs of torque. pretty funny when i hear people say i gained 40 hp to the wheels from headers and exhaust, when in actuality u may have lost hp. it was the same as a civic too it had a decent loss in power. pretty funny.

so true, haha, gotta love people pulling out the calculator and adding up the manufacturers claims and saying thats the cars new HP.

theken
04-13-2003, 11:02 PM
it is so funny :thumbsup: good call ben. so did u fix your car yet??

rage2
04-13-2003, 11:21 PM
I think the dyno is for tuning more than for bragging rights. But I agree that it's the track numbers that count.
Note that I said dyno #'s :D.

importadrenelin
04-14-2003, 11:00 AM
usually Dyno's in Calgary will read lower then alot of Dyno #'s you see people getting at seal level. If you get the corrected dyno #'s according to sea level and conditons you'll see higher numbers more near stock minus drivetrain loss of course.

CalgarySS
04-14-2003, 08:19 PM
All dynos are corrected for local conditions.

Humidity
Temperature
Altitude

Check out Tomas Dyno at Dynomotive in town. It is inexpensive and it will stop the guess work.