PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Toyota Solara or 2003 Honda Accord

Mr_John
05-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm currently in the market for a new car. I'm looking at the 2006 Toyota Solara SE or a 2003 Honda Accord.

I really like both the styles of both cars but was wondering what everyone else thought.
I've driven both and liked both. I'm not that much into speed so the speed isnt such a big deal to me since I dont race. I'm more about comfort and I found both cars to be pretty good.
The Solara however wont be loaded like the Accord would be. The Accord I would go with the fully loaded and the Solara would be the SE basic edition.

What do you people think in terms of looks and quality between these 2 cars?

And does anyone know how bad the gas is for the Solara?
I know the Accord isnt too bad but I've heard from different people about it being good and bad.

Also throw out some other car options that you might think would be good for this price range. I've also looked at the 2005 Subaru Legacy but I have not tested it or done any research about it yet. I also like the styling but more of the Accord and Solara better than the Legacy.

max_boost
05-29-2006, 03:32 PM
What's the price range? Legacy GT Limited :drool: :burnout: All about the power man :D

liquidboi69
05-29-2006, 03:35 PM
I vote for the Solara. Convertibles are fun in the summer :burnout:

Isn't it just a coupe sporty version of a camry? My friend has a V6 camry and Toyota claims that it gets around 22MPG which isn't super bad.

The ineline4 accord's good on gas...my dad has one. But I'd imagine the V6 accord is about the same as the V6 Solara. So basicly...they're both about the same on gas if you compare I4 vs I4, and V6 vs V6.

Mr_John
05-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
What's the price range? Legacy GT Limited :drool: :burnout: All about the power man :D

If it were a Legacy then it would most likely be the 2.5i unless I found a good deal on the GT. My price range is only about 20,000 - 27,000 bucks. Would only like to spend about 24,000 though and both the Solara and Accord have deals come and go in this price range.

Originally posted by liquidboi69
I vote for the Solara. Convertibles are fun in the summer :burnout:

Isn't it just a coupe sporty version of a camry? My friend has a V6 camry and Toyota claims that it gets around 22MPG which isn't super bad.

The ineline4 accord's good on gas...my dad has one. But I'd imagine the V6 accord is about the same as the V6 Solara. So basicly...they're both about the same on gas if you compare I4 vs I4, and V6 vs V6.

Yes the Solara is basically a sporty version of the Camry from all the articles and reviews I've read. The Camry also was a reliable and good car. Parents had one for about 14 years.

My parents also drive an Accord and is a good car to drive. I'm most likely going to be getting the 4 cylinder Accord and Solara due to high gas prices that I very much dislike. The V6 isnt too important to me either since I'm not so much about the speed.

I know. I'm going to be slow.

Thanks for the input so far.
And if it really matters
I'll be putting on black rims with a polished lip in the near future too. So the car color will either be black or white.

Orbie
05-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Ok, so are you looking at the 2003 Accord Coupe? seems strange to be cross shopping a coupe convertible to a 4 door sedan. Coupe to Coupe would make more sense, but then I would be confused as to why the Legacy is even mentioned here.

If you wanted the practicality of the Sedan and comfort why don't you just go for the Camry? I would still probably opt for the Accord over the Camry just because I've always thought them to be pretty dull and boring. Legacy would be fun but probably only in GT trim, and if you like boost be preprared to dish for gas. Accord and Camry Solara gas mileage is going to be very similar so I don't think you need to worry about that, both companies pride themselves on fuel efficient low emission engines.

As for other cars, the Mazda 6 is also probably worth looking at in this price range as well.

guessboi
05-29-2006, 03:51 PM
can you get a 06 solara or legacy for 27,000g???
I vote for the new camry. it is much NICER than the previous generation. :D

Mr_John
05-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Orbie
Ok, so are you looking at the 2003 Accord Coupe? seems strange to be cross shopping a coupe convertible to a 4 door sedan. Coupe to Coupe would make more sense, but then I would be confused as to why the Legacy is even mentioned here.

As for other cars, the Mazda 6 is also probably worth looking at in this price range as well.

No sorry for the confusion. It wont be a convertible as I'm not interested in a convertible. It would be nice to have but not at the extra cost. It hardly is a big deal to me at all even though I test drove the convertible and found it cool.

It will either be a 4 door Accord or a Solara. I like the way how both look classy.

Originally posted by guessboi
can you get a 06 solara or legacy for 27,000g???
I vote for the new camry. it is much NICER than the previous generation. :D

I've seen a couple great deals on a 2005-2006 Solara at a great price in that range and even lower.
The Legacy 2.5i are all about 26,000 bucks. The higher models are a different story.

Xtrema
05-29-2006, 04:07 PM
I guess you have to ask yourself, how often does back seat get used. Coupe sucks when you have to carry people, especially business trips.

Both are nice cars. But I do find Solara a bit feminine, but that's just me.

bigbadboss101
05-29-2006, 04:14 PM
4 doors would be better. Go with Camry instead of the Solara. Accords are always good. LGT is $42 or so new.

rc2002
05-29-2006, 04:31 PM
How much do you want to spend? There's a pretty big price difference between an 03 accord and 06 solara isn't there?

I'm partial to Honda because of pricing (initial vehicle price, service, and parts). I say find an 03 accord in good condition that someone has already paid the initial depreciation for and get that.

Mr_John
05-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I guess you have to ask yourself, how often does back seat get used. Coupe sucks when you have to carry people, especially business trips.

Both are nice cars. But I do find Solara a bit feminine, but that's just me.

This is one of a couple reasons why I would rather go with a 4 door but still isnt such a big deal. I usually use the back seat to carry sports equipment but I should start using the trunk. Something to think about still though for sure. 4 door is a lot easier on life.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
How much do you want to spend? There's a pretty big price difference between an 03 accord and 06 solara isn't there?

I'm partial to Honda because of pricing (initial vehicle price, service, and parts). I say find an 03 accord in good condition that someone has already paid the initial depreciation for and get that.

I'd like to spend as little as I can. Best bang for the buck type of deal though. I dont mind paying a little extra for a car that is better. But I would like to keep it under 26,000 bucks. The Solara I've found a couple of deals under this range so this is the only reason I've considered it.

I really like the styling of the Legacy but for my price range I could probably only afford the 2.5i which isnt so bad still. Does anyone have any input on this car from personal experiences?

max_boost
05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
PM Beyond member 'Altezza'
His dad has an 03 TL with 30,XXX kms and it's right in your price range.

Mr_John
05-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
PM Beyond member 'Altezza'
His dad has an 03 TL with 30,XXX kms and it's right in your price range.

:thumbsup:
Great car but isnt something I like as much as the Accord. Few of friends have this car and love it though.

Any other opinions?

HRD2PLZ
05-30-2006, 01:47 PM
I would go for a Toyota, as bland as some people think they are. Honda had a rash of poorly built transmissions. Everyone I know with a TL has had a failed transmission ( 5 different TL's of various years). PM 'Afrotl' and ask him how many tranny's his TL has gone through. Our last couple Honda's/Acura's have been extremely disappointing.
I would also vote for a 4-door sedan over a coupe, just for practicality alone. Comparing a Solara to an Accord Sedan isn't really comparing apples to apple though.

Good Luck with your search :thumbsup:

Godfuader
05-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Be different, get the Solara. It has a great cockpit and drives well. The new camry is a step away from the conservative classic camry so give that a shot too. But in either case, they are both good choices with great reliability. only difference is that the solara is not a common car.

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I would go buy a 2003 Maxima. You get reliability, nissan's award winning V6, more options/luxury than the camry/solara, and its fast! Might even be able to pick up a 2004 maxima for 27000, haven't checked used prices lately. And Don't buy from a dealer and put the $2500 in GST towards a better car.

I also personally think a convertible in calgary is dumb, because if your hot and want to cool off, top up and A/C works WAY better. Also, you get a more solid car if its a non-convertible.

Another point to consider is that the difference in gas mileage between today's V6's and all but the super econo 4cyl's are small. You will have to drive the 4cyl harder just to keep up in traffic/merge quickly so you might be using just as much as a slightly larger but less stressed V6.

Just my thoughts,

Mark

Mr_John
05-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Comparing a Solara to an Accord Sedan isn't really comparing apples to apple though.

Good Luck with your search :thumbsup:

Thanks. I hope this search ends soon as I'm getting tired of looking.

You're right. All the cars are different and this is probably why it is so tough for me to choose. I like each car for its own reason and it makes it tough for a young guy like me to choose. I personally am leaning towards the Legacy 2.5i but I want the Accord whenever I think and say Fully Loaded with all Options. The Solara I want for its unique 2 door classy style with an amazing looking interior.
Tough choice for me. Taking a look at the Legacy 2.5i tomorrow and at the Solara again tomorrow.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I also personally think a convertible in calgary is dumb, because if your hot and want to cool off, top up and A/C works WAY better. Also, you get a more solid car if its a non-convertible.

Mark

Convertible feels nice during those nice summer days. The Solara that I test drove was nice with the top down but it really isnt on my list of needs. It would be a bonus to have but not such a great deal to me.

Xtrema
05-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I think open top motoring is just more than cooling off. It's fun to do away with top and wind blow thru your hair @ 80km/h.

Unfortunately, there're few convertible days in Calgary.

That.Guy.S30
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
johnny,

if you buy a legacy gt from the states, youll save alot of money.

i test drove the solara, its not bad. kinda old for me. accord is not too bad. i would go with the subaru tho lol.