PDA

View Full Version : DSR 530-Starchoice Reciever Freezing

Dren
05-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Anyone else come across problems with this Reciever ?
My uncle has the whole system, and was over and it froze on a recording. he was saying it did that like once or so a week.

Anyone else come across problems like this. or know if its better for him to get the recordable from bell ?

thx !

johnny0214
05-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey

I work for starchoice technical support and the DSR5xx series especially the 530 has alot of bugs in the software...so freezing happens alot when you pretty much try to do anything. They've upgraded the software a few times and little improvements have been made, another one is the works but not sure when it'll be released and how well the box will operate after that. Some people have these machine freeze up a few times a day...

GQBalla
05-29-2006, 11:54 PM
i work at star choice also ^^^^ and im technically a technical service rep - but i have yet takin my tech training,

the 530 receivers are a big paper wieght in my opinion.

Dren
05-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

the 530 receivers are a big paper wieght in my opinion.

a big paper weight, thats very noisy, and his is very hot at times too !

wt type of deal you get for working there ?

johnny0214
05-30-2006, 12:01 AM
25 bucks for all the channnels and 50% off ppv haha.
Ya, they were competing with bell and released the box too early without enough field testing. So everybody is their guinea pigs right now as they slowly try to improve the software. If it does freeze on him...press and hold down the power button for 10 seconds and let it reboot.

Dren
05-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by johnny0214
25 bucks for all the channnels and 50% off ppv haha.
Ya, they were competing with bell and released the box too early without enough field testing. So everybody is their guinea pigs right now as they slowly try to improve the software. If it does freeze on him...press and hold down the power button for 10 seconds and let it reboot.

thats it..so have to do that everyday ?

work there b/c of free adult channels i bet :P
lol

Good place to work ? like hours, and that...

johnny0214
05-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Dren

thats it..so have to do that everyday ?

work there b/c of free adult channels i bet :P
lol

haha of course! haha jk
sometimes it seems like its box dependant and how the customer uses the box. if your uncle does the reboot like once a week then he is almost part of the lucky bunch. here is a forum with lots of info from other users and they're experiences with the 530. http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
some actually say they really like the 530...especially with the beta software that is out (BC)

GQBalla
05-30-2006, 12:08 AM
decent hours and good pay for what you do -

i work pt -

you should come work they are hiring like crazy

johnny0214
05-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Dren

Good place to work ? like hours, and that...

its an alright place to work, decent money for what you have to do. min hours is usually like 25 hours a week for part time. A bit much while i'm going to school plus i have to work every weekend...

GQBalla
05-30-2006, 12:12 AM
star choice is not bad ^^^ pt is decent still

googe
05-30-2006, 12:56 AM
man that box has been out for almost a year now and it still doesnt work. id be pretty pissed.

johnny0214
05-30-2006, 01:07 AM
^^
haha ya its not too bad of a place to work. the best part is the money since its the highest paying part time job i've had so far. just hate how i have to work every weekend no time to catch up on school or just rest. call quality is also retarded, because you get zero on some of the stupidest stuff

^
ya i'm quite dissappointed in how long its taking the company to resolve the issues, and also because i have to hear it from angry customers to who wait on the phone some times for 30mins or 45 mins and then i can't do anything about the box they just spent $699 dollars on

GoChris
05-30-2006, 07:58 AM
I didnt really like working there, but granted for what you do, the pay is awesome. wicked pay for someone out of highschool or needing part time work thats for sure

wesseam
05-30-2006, 08:10 AM
im at starchoice right now, and man am i ever hating life, i got a 80 year old man, and im trying to program his remote, and lets say it been 30 min so far and were getting nowhere fast.

and as for the 530, its a great machine when it works, but i've only used a few that actually worked good. and not all problems are commen in all receivers, some peoples machines work fine, and others barley work at all.

GQBalla
05-30-2006, 12:02 PM
^^^^^^ oh man.
dont you love it when the old people call in to reprogram a remote that should take maybe 5 minutes tops but actually takes a hour???

wesseam
05-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
^^^^^^ oh man.
dont you love it when the old people call in to reprogram a remote that should take maybe 5 minutes tops but actually takes a hour???

i die a little inside after calls like that.

GQBalla
06-01-2006, 07:57 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

calgary350z
06-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I called at least 6 times and spent over 3 hours in total trying to get mine working. I had it for almost a year and took it back and ex it for the shaw PVR instead. Was such an annoyance during football when I had NFL ticket. It would always freeze in between channels.