PDA

View Full Version : People Dinging your Car door with theirs

Ekliptix
04-03-2003, 10:48 PM
:mad:

Are they even thinking??!!

My car's 12 years old and I get pissed. I can't imagine if I had a new car and I came back to see a dent and some different color paint on the side.

What do you do?

XylathaneGTR
04-03-2003, 10:59 PM
I was at work, and some dumb bitch hopped out of an old minivan and whipped her door into a dark red BRAND NEW Volvo S60...She then proceded to take off...
Caught the plate number, and told Cust Service..
I would be fucking PISSED of some moron just squng their shit open without even fucking thinking and smoked my car...
...if i had one.

FiveFreshFish
04-03-2003, 10:59 PM
I park far away, using only one spot and have never had a problem. When I sold my 11-year-old Si, it had never suffered a door ding.

I wonder why no other manufacturer has copied Saturn's polymer door panels?

Weapon_R
04-03-2003, 11:11 PM
What can you really do? Most of the time people don't mean to do it, since their cars are also damaged. Also, it's not like you can beat the fuck outta them or claim insurance so whats the point??

hinggu
04-03-2003, 11:14 PM
I think most of the time its those f-ing housewives driving minivans and SUVs. I see tons that don't pay attention and just don't car. I have 1 ding and it pisses me off everytime I look at in

FiveFreshFish
04-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
What can you really do? Most of the time people don't mean to do it, since their cars are also damaged. Also, it's not like you can beat the fuck outta them or claim insurance so whats the point??

Suppose door dings can be considered normal wear & tear just like rock chips on the hood and windshield. However, I just do what I can to minimize the dings by parking far away and consider the longer walk as good exercise.

szw
I see all sorts of people doing it. A lot of people just don't think and swing their door open.

Men, women, old or young.

Best thing to do is just park far away, but there's always some joker that likes to park right next to you, of all places.

XylathaneGTR
Originally posted by hinggu
I think most of the time its those f-ing housewives driving minivans and SUVs. I see tons that don't pay attention and just don't care.
I think your totally right..
Bitch's! I've seen it happen a few times...Usually it was nothing major...but the Volvo one i saw was pretty bad...bitch owned it with her door pretty bad...
I dont see why people cant take less than 2 seconds of consideration to slowly get out of their car, and not just fling their door open without half a shit's care for anything...
Still, even if they dont mean to...Its not hard to notice your parked kinda close to someone else...and just use a bit of caution

T5_X
04-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
whipped her door into a dark red BRAND NEW Volvo S60...She then proceded to take off...

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

bad enough, it had to be a volvo though :banghead:

I have a couple door dings If I ever caught someone or saw thier car adjacent to mine obviously with them that dinged it, I'd get the keys out and gouge thier paint.
The worst that ever happened to me was that some fucker left a foot long white scratch in my black truck and dented it... parking lot hit and run :guns: :thumbsdow

RiceCake
04-03-2003, 11:44 PM
I get so many sratches and door dings on the corolla its not even funny. :banghead: Park at Brentwood LRT and what do I see, C-Train officers have a clipboard on my trunk writing something, I take a look at the car when I get home and there's a huge scratch on my trunk.... Man these just seem unavoidable....

CLiVE
04-03-2003, 11:52 PM
I was driving a Mercedes S500 for a while, first time I drove it I pulled up to macs, and some red neck in a pickup pulls up beside me. Opens his door, and bashes it right into the mercedes. The whole car almost shook. I got out and started yelling at him...haha.

If you get a dent...take your car over to DNT...
I had about 8 door dings in my stealth...lol. Now they're all gone.

three.eighteen.
04-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I
I wonder why no other manufacturer has copied Saturn's polymer door panels?

i've seen one shattered on a parked saturn...so either it was the cold...or its really easy to break into...

ZorroAMG
04-04-2003, 12:03 AM
I think the ony reason why more auto manufacturers, mainly luxury or high end sports, don't do the polymer panels is because who wants to pay $50,000 and up for a car and have plastic door panels?? even if it's a great idea and works well, they are still PLASTIC...

The worst occurence for door dings IMHO are people getting outta cabs near the clubs...they are all smashed and don't give a fuck...Cabs double park right beside you and these idiots get out....WHAM!!

That's how I acquired the only ding on my baby.... :guns: GRRRRRR!!

RSeXy
04-04-2003, 12:08 AM
i hate ppl liek that! seriously, have some dignity and if you do ding someone's car let them know!! acouple months ago my mom was sitting in the RSX...and this old guy in a bimmer backed up into her..and i guess he didn't see her sitting in the car b/c the seats are so high...and he proceeded to take off!! fugger!! my mom took off after him and stopped him...got his insurance and plates and made him pay for damages..we were sure to take it to Marenellos where it would cost the most. ;)

Scott
04-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Sometimes its accidental though. I parked in Chinook one day when it was really windy, wind was to my back, and as soon as i popped the door open a bit, the wind grabbed it and almost tore it right off. There was enough distance between me and the mini-van beside me that just the very tip of my door edge scraped the van, no damage to my car. I left my # on a piece of paper rolled up and stuffed in the door jam so it wouldnt blow away, but no-one ever called me.

T5_X
04-04-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Scott
Sometimes its accidental though. I parked in Chinook one day when it was really windy, wind was to my back, and as soon as i popped the door open a bit, the wind grabbed it and almost tore it right off. There was enough distance between me and the mini-van beside me that just the very tip of my door edge scraped the van, no damage to my car. I left my # on a piece of paper rolled up and stuffed in the door jam so it wouldnt blow away, but no-one ever called me.

Yah, that happens here lots (lethgay) I'm trained to hold onto the doors with all my might though, LOL. If you're a good enough person to leave your number on a note then its fine IMO.

SplineZ
04-04-2003, 01:47 AM
heheh.. In my old Jimmy, I'd just bash them back.. Big old doors with shitty paint.. I didnt care too much....

If they did it on my newer car, as long as it didnt take any of the paint off, I wouldnt really care too much.. My car has polymer panels (it predates saturns by a few years) so shit doesnt dent... and it doesnt shatter aswell. I had someone hit my ass near the driverside wheel when it was -35c out and it didnt do anything to the body panel, just a smear of HIS paint.. Just the plastic in my fender was slightly damaged.

and about the expensive cars with plastic panels.. what about corvettes? they are 50k, and are fibreglass/plastic. Lots of other "less popular" street legal kit cars also use plastic. Its cheaper, lighter and easier to make than metal most the time :)

JZ

SI-vic
04-04-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Scott
I left my # on a piece of paper rolled up and stuffed in the door jam so it wouldnt blow away, but no-one ever called me.

Yo thats totally cool.
I respect drivers like you the most, people who actually care for others cars.
I wouldnt have called you, thats really respectful man, I dont know many ppl who would do that at all...

Light_Speed
04-04-2003, 04:15 AM
i hate these idiots
i got a 99 acura cl then i parked so far away from the mall and i guess someone push their cart into my door
piss me off

Smartiepants
04-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Man, my dad got dinged and he smashed off both their mirrors and bent a windshield wiper than drove away talking about how they were even, he's got a 911

three.eighteen.
04-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Light_Speed
i hate these idiots
i got a 99 acura cl then i parked so far away from the mall and i guess someone push their cart into my door
piss me off

heh, sometimes theres loose shopping carts, ive tried to save a few cars now from random shopping carts...sometimes you cant help it (cant chase fast enough/cart too close to car)

Originally posted by Smartiepants
Man, my dad got dinged and he smashed off both their mirrors and bent a windshield wiper than drove away talking about how they were even, he's got a 911

heh, i did that to some lady that thought i stole "her" parking spot and sat behind me and honked until i backed out of the spot to let her have it...

and the sort of solution to door dings
http://www.bmpdesign.com/bmw/parts/catalog/carcare_1.shtml scroll down to magnetic door guards...

legendboy
04-04-2003, 10:24 AM
I'm pretty paranoid about door dings since my side mouldings are comming off. I'm thiking about rigging up some kind of moulding that is magnetic, so I can put it on when I need to park around other cars/tight spot.

Shoebox//Racer
12-16-2004, 12:19 AM
ROFL, i dunno bout some of you, but if i park and there is a sketchy looking/beat up vehicle beside me... I actually type the plate number into my phone before i head into the mall or watch a movie or whatever, along with the car color.

LOL! yeah yeah.. its kinda over paranoid but hey man...
you never know.

Kaos
12-16-2004, 01:54 AM
I know ppl dont mean to open the doors and ding other cars.
But when u know you did it and it caused a huge dent, at least leave a note saying that you hit it and that you are willing to pay for repair.

This was not the case for me and some of my family members.
It wasnt right to do what was done but I got a short tempered family.

I think it was an older caddy that was parked next to our white 540i and the guy parked awfully close. At this point, 3 of us checked to see if there was any damages (Car is dent free).
BIG DENT, forest green paint and to what looked like a zipper scratch from the door to middle of our fender.
Caddy next to us was green....
Hmmm so we didnt just assume he did it, we know he did.

I know Im gonna get flamed for this but his hood got jumped on and a foot right through the windshield.

This happened such a long time ago but still, its common sense.
People should know the distance of how close they park to someone or at least open your door slowly.

:whipped:

badseed
12-16-2004, 02:25 AM
I am alwayz extremely careful when I open my doors whether I'm parked next to a 84 civic or a 2005 BMW. I think it's just common courtesy and it's not the best thing for my door either.

I hate when people park super close to you making it impossible to get in or out of your car, in this situation this person is just asking for it. I drive a winter beater and could really care less about the body so heres a tip don't park super close to me or you'll be sorry you did. If someone is willing to park that close to me then suffer the consequences.

Shoebox//Racer
12-16-2004, 03:22 AM
... if ppl could learn to park in the CENTER of a stall... things would be a lot better for the most part. Granted some parking lots are just brutally thin.

screw it.. everyone should just buy echos, and we'll all have clearance to open our doors all the way haha :D damn those things can park ANYWHERE!

Xtrema
12-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Nothing you can do expect park in only single sided stalls to reduce your chance.

Or get cars with tougher metal. I get more dents with my Civic than my Altima and my driving habit is virtually the same.

But I think it's just all luck. I won't lose sleep over it unless it's a $100K+ car.

heavyD
12-16-2004, 08:58 AM
If you ever come out of a parking lot and noticed that one of your side view mirrors is broken off you probably parked too close to my car.:D I'm at three and counting.

I go out of my way to park away from the general traffic. One time I parked my car in a mall far from the entrance with no cars around and some ass parked right next to my car to the point that you could barely open the passenger door like he did it on purpose. Needless to say I left the driver's side mirror on his hood.

Alot of people are pretty good but some people just don't give a fuck. I've seen it so many times in the supermarket parking lots where someone pulls up next to a car and opens their door wide open and bang. Complete lack of respect for other people's property.

You ding my car, I break yours.:whipped:

Xtrema
12-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Also, don't part near mini-vans or any vehicles that may contain kids.

Once I saw some parents left that kids in the car (6-9 yrs old) and all they do is banging doors on adjscent cars and run around in and out of mini-van. Almost made me wanna go over and rip them a new one (if they weren't kids or were mine).

lam-boy
12-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Once I saw some parents left that kids in the car (6-9 yrs old) and all they do is banging doors on adjscent cars and run around in and out of mini-van. Almost made me wanna go over and rip them a new one (if they weren't kids or were mine).

yup, i've seen it happen.
was at the bank, sitting in my car waiting for my friend to finish up. I had my window down because it was hot. the van 2 cars over, pulled up and parked. so naturally I look over. she swings open the door. and I hear a loud bang. "Shit, she just smoked the other car" just closes her door, walks off. I was disgusted..:thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
12-16-2004, 11:10 AM
its actually pretty easy to avoid door dings

1. 1 sided spots
2. park far away with no other cars around u. ill get pissed if i park far away and someone goes out of their way to park next to me in an empty parking lot. i dont break their mirrors tho haha.
3. park in between really expensive cars. its doubtful that the owner of a 745i would ding the cars around him..

bspot
12-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
If you ever come out of a parking lot and noticed that one of your side view mirrors is broken off you probably parked too close to my car.:D I'm at three and counting.

I go out of my way to park away from the general traffic. One time I parked my car in a mall far from the entrance with no cars around and some ass parked right next to my car to the point that you could barely open the passenger door like he did it on purpose. Needless to say I left the driver's side mirror on his hood.

Alot of people are pretty good but some people just don't give a fuck. I've seen it so many times in the supermarket parking lots where someone pulls up next to a car and opens their door wide open and bang. Complete lack of respect for other people's property.

You ding my car, I break yours.:whipped:

So he didn't even ding you, just parked close so you break his mirror off?

Ghey :rolleyes:

carson blocks
12-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by bspot

So he didn't even ding you, just parked close so you break his mirror off?

Ghey :rolleyes:

:werd:

Maybe that was the only spot available at the time? People don't always park close on purpose, and I know whenever I have to park close I am uber-careful not to let the doors touch. I don't drive really nice cars, but I'd be really pissed off to come out to a broken mirror just for parking next to you.

My new winter beater is an old Saturn. For a cheap car the body still looks nice because it can't get door dings or rust! And the rolling tupperware is pretty easy on gas.

2002civic
12-16-2004, 11:41 AM
1)not many one sided parking spots
2)people do it just to piss you off
3)youd be suprised, especially if theyre old, my dad would never do something liek that with his car but hes got a ding(2001 bmw 325 cabriolet) and he was PISSED

lethbridge is brutal with the wind, you open your door and its off the frickin hinges without any warning, at least parking spots here are bigger, calgarys problem is spots are getting tinyer and tinyer and cars are getting bigger and bigger, superstore is TERRIBLE for hit and runs/ door dings but i have a pretty good guess as to why...

finboy
12-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

heh, sometimes theres loose shopping carts, ive tried to save a few cars now from random shopping carts...sometimes you cant help it (cant chase fast enough/cart too close to car)

i used to work at the real canadian wholesale club, and i would see so many heavy duty flat deck carts (that weigh around 80 pounds) plowing into people's new cars, because other customers didn't have the courtesey to park the carts in the proper area.

Originally posted by Shoebox//Racer
ROFL, i dunno bout some of you, but if i park and there is a sketchy looking/beat up vehicle beside me... I actually type the plate number into my phone before i head into the mall or watch a movie or whatever, along with the car color.

LOL! yeah yeah.. its kinda over paranoid but hey man...
you never know.

i do the same, i look for the most expensive car, or a modified car to park beside, someone that knows a vehicle is more then point a to point b and respects other peoples property.

soccer mom's and little kids are the worst

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
its actually pretty easy to avoid door dings

1. 1 sided spots
2. park far away with no other cars around u. ill get pissed if i park far away and someone goes out of their way to park next to me in an empty parking lot. i dont break their mirrors tho haha.
3. park in between really expensive cars. its doubtful that the owner of a 745i would ding the cars around him..

good points, but unfortunatly its hard to choose your spots sometimes. my parents car has door dings all over it, but there isn't much you can really do about it when the person who dinged your car alread left :cry: . My spirit has 1 door ding on the entire car, and it looks terrible, so i'll be getting it fixed asap.

my old manager at work told me about how he parked at the far end of the parking lot, with no one around, and when he came out, someone parked some POS firefly beside his car (could have been some other car, he wasn't really into vehicles). he knew what was coming, and sure enough, there was a dent on his door. he reached into his glove box, pulled out a flathead, and made a nice new whole in her door.

heavyD
12-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Maybe that was the only spot available at the time? People don't always park close on purpose, and I know whenever I have to park close I am uber-careful not to let the doors touch. I don't drive really nice cars, but I'd be really pissed off to come out to a broken mirror just for parking next to you.

My new winter beater is an old Saturn. For a cheap car the body still looks nice because it can't get door dings or rust! And the rolling tupperware is pretty easy on gas.

You guys misunderstood. The area was empty and far from the mall entrance. There were probably 100 empty spots closer to the entrance and not one other car within 50 feet of mine. Like I said it was like he did it on purpose. That is why I punished him.

To the guy that said Ghey. Park real close to my car and I will imprint GHEY into your hood with my key specially for you instead of breaking your sideview mirror. Matters not to I.

canadiandaytona
12-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Your Such a Huge Loser:thumbsdow

George_Reyes
12-16-2004, 01:08 PM

You guys misunderstood. The area was empty and far from the mall entrance. There were probably 100 empty spots closer to the entrance and not one other car within 50 feet of mine. Like I said it was like he did it on purpose. That is why I punished him.

To the guy that said Ghey. Park real close to my car and I will imprint GHEY into your hood with my key specially for you instead of breaking your sideview mirror. Matters not to I.

he started it, i'll finish it off hahahaahaha :rofl:

heavyD
12-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
Your Such a Huge Loser:thumbsdow

Coming from a guy that drives a K-car and actually advertises it. I take that as a complement as loser would probably be like the highest rank in the trailer park you reside.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1badPT
12-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by szw
SNIP...
Best thing to do is just park far away, but there's always some joker that likes to park right next to you, of all places.
hahah that's probably me! My solution to making sure I don't get door dings is to park far away, but if there aren't a bunch of empty spots, I park next to a car that the owner obviously cares about! That way I don't get door dings and they get a person parked next to them that won't damage their car either :thumbsup:

bspot
12-16-2004, 02:42 PM

Then I'll carve Ghey into your face beatch :guns:

Oh, and to the next great comeback your about to toss at me, I reply in advance:

No, your mom!

heavyD
12-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Then I'll carve Ghey into your face beatch :guns:

Oh, and to the next great comeback your about to toss at me, I reply in advance:

No, your mom!

Kids these days.:nut:

ricosuave
12-16-2004, 03:09 PM
some bitch in a minivan pulled up while i was sitting in the parking spot, waiting for the wife.

here little hell spawn absolutely threw the door open, which proceeded to bash into mine

i let into the little bastard, and then i told his mom what i thought of her mothering.

she just gave me attitude and a look, and pulled little timmy away.

well, she has to buy a new mirror, trim and get that door panel painted now.

rico

George_Reyes
12-16-2004, 03:15 PM

Kids these days.:nut:

no respect for peoples cars, I don't go and park my Fiero 2 inches beside a car parked in the back and ding his door when there is plently of space available.

bspot
12-16-2004, 03:19 PM
some bitch in a minivan pulled up while i was sitting in the parking spot, waiting for the wife.

here little hell spawn absolutely threw the door open, which proceeded to bash into mine

i let into the little bastard, and then i told his mom what i thought of her mothering.

she just gave me attitude and a look, and pulled little timmy away.

well, she has to buy a new mirror, trim and get that door panel painted now.

rico

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

See, THAT is a case where the mirror etc definately should come off :rofl:

I was with my dad a couple days after he got his new Murano and we are parked in a loading zone waiting to pick up my sister to all go out somewhere, some bish opens her SUV door right into it, doesn't even look to see if she caused damage, and gets in. I run around and stand beside her door glaring at her, and she tries to pretend not to notice. So I knock on her door, she opens it and I say "You just opened your door pretty hard into my dad's brand new vehicle." Her: "I did?" Me: "Don't bullshit, you know you did. There is no way you didn't hear the thunk" Her: "Oh.. sorry.. I didn't know I did.." then she pretends to go look for damage :rolleyes: I had some nice parting words for her... can't believe it when someone is sitting in the vehicle you hit, and you STILL don't say anything ??

canadiandaytona
12-16-2004, 03:53 PM

Coming from a guy that drives a K-car and actually advertises it. I take that as a complement as loser would probably like the highest rank in the trailer park you reside.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So your Come Back is Basically " No I'm not you are"
Good One:rofl:

Foz
12-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Nothing you can do expect park in only single sided stalls to reduce your chance.

Or get cars with tougher metal. I get more dents with my Civic than my Altima and my driving habit is virtually the same.

But I think it's just all luck. I won't lose sleep over it unless it's a $100K+ car.

I park with one side shielded all the times and I still get dings on both sides..

I think they follow me, just like that commerical.. @#$!kers:guns: :english: