PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket hub in a JDM MR2

MR2-3S-GTE
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Wondering if anybody who's done a RHD conversion has tried to use a momo hub ?

USDM hub doesn't seem to fit

the JDM stock steering wheel has a plug for the horn button on the column but the momo hub for USDM has a contact ring
anybody know how to get around this?

Aznshadow85
05-30-2006, 10:01 PM
really? i was thinking of buying a momo wheel with hub soon. tell me if you ever figure it out.

MR2-3S-GTE
05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
If I remove the plug ring from the column, the wheel will just go on like any standard install. Without the plug, the horn will not work. I also think it will affect the turn signals...Theres gotta be someone else whos done this in calgary...considering i've seen JDM MR2s with aftermarket steerinwheel. Wheres all the gurus>>>>>???

MR2-3S-GTE
05-30-2006, 11:18 PM
If it was just the horn button plug that was in the way...am sure i would be able to modify it. The only thing is...the horn button plug ring seems way to complex (am sure it affects something else)...involving a metal dial with with different contacts...not to mention it is connected to a 6 or so different wires.

Redlyne_mr2
05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
I think ghettobaby has an aftermarket wheel on his jdm car perhaps he can shed some light .

stealth
05-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Even on USDM vehicles sometimes, the horn doesnt work, when installing a aftermarket hub and steering wheel.

Ghettobaby
06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
I was fortunate when I bought my car it came with a hub, next time I go by the body shop I can check what kind it is.

MR2-3S-GTE
06-01-2006, 06:06 PM
HAY...i actually got the horn to work now. Took a little work to wire the horn but everything is working great. Little work in modifyin the plug but it was worth it. I'll post a picture of my interior as soon as i get a chance. Thanks for the imput though. Next on the list...clutch, engine work.