PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance advice

American_Dream
05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Guys

I did a quick search but came up with nothing, so hopefully you guys can help a guy out.

I went and renewed my license plate registeration today, I rarely drive my car, maybe once in a week max (sometimes weeks go by without touching it), so I asked the guy in the registery about what happens if I canceled my car insurance and just get a one day insurance whenever I'm actually using the car, he told me that if I did this I can't park on the street and If I did, I will be fined $3,000. is this a fact :eek:

I don't have a parking space (I live in downtown Calgary and u all know how expensive parking is in downtown) and I usually park in the street, do I've to accept paying $150 insurance cost on a monthly basis just to be allowed to park in the street, and just for my curiousty, if my car is parked in the street, and my license plate is not expired, and there is no problem in parking in this spot, how will someone be able to figure that I don't have insurance.

The whole car insurance thing is new to me, any info is really appreciated.

Thanks everybody

Xtrema
05-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Good luck trying to find any insurance companies to do day passes. Case in point, even if I only ride my bike 5/12 months of the year, I still have to buy for a whole year because I COULD ride it year round as long as I own it.

My advice is you should sell your car. Renting is very cheap if you do occasionally need a ride. And also very accesible in Downtown core.

American_Dream
05-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Well yeah, I fully agree with u, but again money wise, I will loose a lot on the car if I sold it (I actually tried selling it and didn't get a reasonable price), hmmmmmm, Parking with insurance = $1,800 insurance cost, parking without insurance = $3,000 ticket, selling the car = $3,000-$5,000 loss, am I destined to loose money in all the cases !!!, all I want is to park the car in peace :banghead:

I'm not sure if I will be able to find a one day insurance or not, never actually tried to, I thought its a standard thing, huh, that shows how much i know about insurance.

Accord_tunerx
05-31-2006, 12:37 AM
sorry to high jack your thread but
anyone know any good insurance companys i think mine just going up by the year:dunno:

American_Dream
05-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Actually thats an interesting question as well :)

yellowsnow
05-31-2006, 10:07 AM
i don't see a reason why the registry office would lie to you. a police officer can run plates on a vehicle... but i don't see how the parking authority can do that. i don't see them carrying around laptops checking plates.

it's just a risk on your part. if i were you, i'd just get insurance with the cheapest coverage

afrotl
05-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx
sorry to high jack your thread but
anyone know any good insurance companys i think mine just going up by the year:dunno:

try Meloche Monnex (Spelling)
And i never heard of getting a ticket for having you car parked on the street with no insurance I know you will get a ticket for an expired registration. how does the meter maid tell if the car is insured or not?

nonsane
05-31-2006, 12:15 PM
It is NOT legal to park your car on the street without insurance. But unless there is a problem with the vehicle no one will really know, but it is your own risk!

IF you want to park and not drive it: you could just find a storage company, they would be alot cheaper than a lot downtown. There are some i know that specialize in car storage.

And i don't believe you can insure a vehicle on a day to day basis.

American_Dream
05-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Guess I will eventually go with a car storage company, but its certainly nice to know the legalities surrounding insurance, specially its such a costly ticket.

Thanks for everyone who posted here, an plz if u've any other info, keep on posting for my and other people knowledge.

Thanks all.

FiveFreshFish
05-31-2006, 11:32 PM
You're also not allowed to leave a car parked on a city street for more than 72 hours at a time. I've never known anyone to get such a parking ticket, and a buddy of mine hasn't moved his uninsured, unregistered car from the front of his house for over two years. He only has an expired plate on it. This is in an older residential area and he'll only get ticketed if someone calls it in. Don't take this chance downtown.

To be legal, your car has to be insured at least for third party liability (i.e. insured so you can drive - not just fire, theft and vandalism) and have valid registration/plate.

The storage idea is good. There are outdoor storage facilities that are reasonably priced that cater to cars, motor homes and boats. Just buy a car cover.