PDA

View Full Version : New Pentax K100D

Ferio_vti
05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
So Pentax is releasing a DSLR w/ built in anti-shake. What do you think, boost in sales for the DSLR market or a crash n' burn like KM's antishakers??

I think it's a bit of a mixed bag, namely cuz it has more underpinning from the DL rather than the DS branch. Overall, I think it has potential sell, more so than KM's 7D/5D did.
Can't wait to see what Pentax has planned for their 10 megapixel DSLR later this year.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0605/06052205pentaxk100d.asp
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2006/05/25/3853.html

Obscura
06-01-2006, 12:11 AM
it's a neat idea having the anti shake built into the body and allowing the use of the older lenses... too bad it's got soo many "consumer level" limits like flash sync...

AccentAE86
06-01-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't think in-body anti-shake is a good idea. For canon/nikon, the stabilizer motor and the optics are optimized for that particular lens. I would think an in-body solution to be more general: it works, but not as effective as in-lens.

It's like buying univeral-fit parts for your car. Yeah, it'll work, but the factory part that's optimized for your car will always work better.

just a personal opinion

muse017
06-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
I don't think in-body anti-shake is a good idea. For canon/nikon, the stabilizer motor and the optics are optimized for that particular lens. I would think an in-body solution to be more general: it works, but not as effective as in-lens.

It's like buying univeral-fit parts for your car. Yeah, it'll work, but the part that is factory part that optimized for your car will always work better.

just a personal opinion

So true...but think about how expensive those VR or IS lenses are.

civiclvr
06-01-2006, 10:58 AM
any idea on cost?

muse017
06-02-2006, 12:27 AM
http://kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.asp?PrdKey=00502110995

expected to be out on july and price is 82800 for body and 18-55 kit lens.
Basically, approx 800ish canadian dollar.

Obscura
06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by AccentAE86

It's like buying univeral-fit parts for your car. Yeah, it'll work, but the factory part that's optimized for your car will always work better.

just a personal opinion

Oh very true, I'm sure that it won't have the same optical quality or work as well. I just think it's a cool idea to be able to use some of Pentax's old screw mount lenses with a rather new technology like anti-shake. Or even mounting a pentax 67 lens.

The only time I've used VR lenses is on a aerial photography shoot. I personally haven't seen much use for them. A mono-pod or tripod seems to work pretty good as well. Not saying that there are times that a monopod or tripod won't get in the way...

Pihsiak
06-02-2006, 12:25 PM
I never did like the Pentex's film SLRs
The manual stuff they did were awesome, K1000 was my first love.

But I used to see alot of returns with the autofocus bodies, too much electronic problems. And their lens quality were never as good as Canon or Nikon. I never kept track of them when they came into the digial community.

muse017
06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
^ Pihsiak
Have you ever used pentax Star series or Limited series lenses?
Of course Canon and Nikon got some good lenses but in terms of quality of lens i have no clue what are you talking about.

Obscura
06-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
I never did like the Pentex's film SLRs
The manual stuff they did were awesome, K1000 was my first love.

But I used to see alot of returns with the autofocus bodies, too much electronic problems. And their lens quality were never as good as Canon or Nikon. I never kept track of them when they came into the digial community.

K1000's were a great camera just a little feature limited, why Pentax couldn't have put things like a depth of field preview and a 1/2000 top shutter speed always disapointed me.

Course there was the LX, really good camera

I did like the old MZ-5n, it had a really smart user inteface for selecting exposure modes... too bad that Nikon didn't copy that instead of designing cameras like the F401 series or the F50/F60/F70 series

Pentax did and still does have some really good glass for some of the lenses in the line up, you just have to pay for it.

:thumbsup: