PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Hilux Speed Sensor

project240
06-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I've got a 1990 Toyota Hilux RHD. Basically, the suv has a speed alarm on it, must be some japanese safety thing, but anyways, what happens is when you drive over 105km/h it chimes (kind of like a doorbell) continuosly, until you reduce your speed. We've tried driving 110 for a few minutes to see if it will eventually shut off, but it doesn't seem to stop.

Has anybody had a similar problem? Is there a way to disable this? I think we located where the sensor is (little solenoid at driver's feet next to the gas, but it has a wiring harness so we don't want to cut out anything else. I'm from Sask, in Calgary right now and I would really like to figure this out because it really sucks having to drive 104km/h with no cruise on 110km/h roads.

Any info is greatly appreciated or if anyone can recommend a shop to go to? Thanks in advance.

Phuqu
06-01-2006, 04:18 PM
You have to remove the instrument cluster. It's in behind where the speedo goes. Just a couple of screws holding it in.

My arm got scraped up reaching around to unhook the speedo cable. Other than that it is straight forward to do.

project240
06-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. What exactly am i looking for though? Am i unhooking a wire or the speedo cable itself? Never done this before, I know it can't be that hard, but a bit more info would be very helpful.

project240
06-02-2006, 07:11 AM
I tried removing the cluster, but it is "interlocked" with the dash, etc. I assume you pulled it out a bit and squeezed your arm in, but I still couldn't see what you were talking about. Please help!!

Phuqu
06-02-2006, 02:23 PM
You have to remove the cluster completely. Take whatever bezels you need to remove. Unscrew the whole cluster. Tilt wheel need to be tilted down for clearance. You need to reach in behind the center to unclip/twist the speedo cable.

It's straight forward but it's not the easiest thing to do. It can be done. Once it's out of the truck you will see what you have to remove. I'll see if I have my old one around to take a picture to show you.

I can scan the shop manual for it if you need it. Nothing like having the Hilux manuals!