PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the BMW owners here

SpasticDwarf
06-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Are they really as expensive to repair or fix as everyone said?
all i hear about them, is that they are really expensive to fix when they break.
can someone provide a comparison of the cost to repair a BMW compared to your average honda or ford, or whatever?

Weapon_R
06-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, they are extremely expensive to fix and annoying at that. I have been using the same mech for years now, and he has been unable to do any work on my car because of all the specialty tools required for repairs. My thermostat wasn't working and it cost me a bundle only because I had to take it to someone with the tools required to do the job. That costs more money.

I'd budget about twice as much as a regular repair for a ford or otherwise.

C4S
06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
To tell you the ture .. say 3 series, Z3, Z4 etc .. Service will be cheaper then a 4 runner ... :D

well .. depends what u compare, if you are talking about a 90 850IL V12 .. then yes .. it is expensive to service...

But say .. a 2002 325i ... It's servicing cost is probaby less then any luxury car ..

My GS 400 costed much more then a 3 series for service ... when I added up all the service cost for 6 years...

But then .. a 7 series will cost more then a ES300 in service.

Do some research, BMW.. even Benz are very affordable to service .. especially for the late model. ( exclude V8, V12, AMG, M model )

:D

SpasticDwarf
06-01-2006, 07:26 PM
well, i only ask because i have a huge intrest in the e34 5 series and e36 3 series cars. *yes i know they are different models entirely*.
and i was about to buy one or the other when my stepfather told me i was out of my mind becuase it would destroy my wallet if it was to break.
so should i do it?

shakalaka
06-01-2006, 07:34 PM
If you like that car and you can afford it then it's totally worth it! When I got my 325IS, I was kinda skeptical, but my love for the car overcame the doubts. Yes it is expensive, it'll prolly be more then most of the cars average people own, but it's so totally worth it. You'll have to baby it and take proper care of it, but hey come on who are we kidding? We all do, if we like what we drive right!? It does break your wallet (BMW-Break My Wallet), but imo it's so totally worth it. Plus it also get's you laid. :D It depends if that's too big of a deal to you or not as well I guess, but then again, I got my Ducati for the same damn reason! haha :D

SpasticDwarf
06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
well, thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it. i think im going to be buying a '93 318is this weekend. so wish me luck.
the only downside to buying one now is that my FC is going to take even longer to finish with this money disappearing.

Graham_A_M
06-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Does anybody know of a good place to buy a 850I V12, complete?

robpark
06-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Just for my two cents...

BMWs do not cost A LOT more than most other cars...juxtaposed against the fact that they are WAY MORE fun to drive....if you can afford it, it is worth it... THe biggest difference is that BMWs are precision vehicles and as such need to operate within certain parameters.... If a part starts to fail, you can't generally ignore it until you feel like replacing it, unlike some "looser" domestics.....

That, and because they are luxury/sport vehicles, they are more complex and thus there is more to go wrong.

C4S
06-01-2006, 08:52 PM
If u are looking for E34 or E36 .. they are like 10 yr old + cars anyway .. so .. high erservice cost is normal ..

However, good thing is, if u need any parts, and if u hv time to find them from internet .. then .. they are not bad .. ;)

E34 is lots of fun to drive, lots of luxury feature .. compare to same aged LS400, 300E, Jag XJ, Legend etc .. and all those cars are not cheap to service ..

E36? oh..they are cheap to service. ( exclude M car)

:thumbsup:

FatboyTheHungry
06-01-2006, 10:03 PM
My E46 330ci costs less to maintain than my GF's Rav4.