PDA

View Full Version : Looking 4 Work

accord885
06-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Just Graduated with my Mechanical Engineering Technologist Diploma and I also have Industrial experience as well as many years in technical sales experience....

Currently in need of employment if anyone works for or know anyone at an Engineering Firm/Oil & Gas Company that is look for new people let me know.

Graham_A_M
06-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Schumberger is SCREAMING for people. They paid off my buddiess $50,000 debt just as a perk to hire him. :eek:

(but mind you he's a VERY good engineer, with a bunch of pre-existing experience with other companies)

but go to the Canadian head office right here in Calgary, 535 3rd ave SW (during the day time :bigpimp: ) and apply there, its a block west of Eau Claire. most engineers start off at $45k a year. So I hope that helps, if not BJ services is. They have lots of divisions. I dont know where their based out of.

BlackArcher101
06-02-2006, 08:43 PM
You'll probably start out doing drafting and slowly be weened into design of small parts. After that it's whatever you make it to be. Engineers start at $45K, but a person with a tech diploma will usually start at around $35-40K, depending on any special skills you may have.

But like Graham said, pretty much every oil&gas company is looking to hire. If you can, try to get a pass for the Global Petroleum Show on June 13-15. There will be tons of companys perfect for you there, and nearly all accepting resumes.

Good luck!

Ntense_SpecV
06-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
You'll probably start out doing drafting and slowly be weened into design of small parts. After that it's whatever you make it to be. Engineers start at $45K, but a person with a tech diploma will usually start at around $35-40K, depending on any special skills you may have.

But like Graham said, pretty much every oil&gas company is looking to hire. If you can, try to get a pass for the Global Petroleum Show on June 13-15. There will be tons of companys perfect for you there, and nearly all accepting resumes.

Good luck!

You might be able to get a lot more then that - seeing as I am an Arch. Tech (totally unrelated field) with 5 years experience and am looking to move to an engineering firm and they will pay upwards of 60-65K right now....think billions in profit - they just need butts in the seats and money is paying for them to be there. Shoot high, they'll counter lower and somewhere in the middle you will meet and be just fine.

BlackArcher101
06-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

You might be able to get a lot more then that - seeing as I am an Arch. Tech (totally unrelated field) with 5 years experience and am looking to move to an engineering firm and they will pay upwards of 60-65K right now....think billions in profit - they just need butts in the seats and money is paying for them to be there. Shoot high, they'll counter lower and somewhere in the middle you will meet and be just fine.

Like you said, that's unrelated. He is in a different field, and has a new diploma, probably less than your 5 years. That will make a difference.

You start low, but these days they will usually give you some nice bonuses and periodic raises.

accord885
06-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Cool... thanks for the advice...

Any other companys in the field you can think of?

kaput
06-03-2006, 03:35 PM

WWJAI
06-04-2006, 01:34 AM
^^^ Well you have to consider that..45K is usually considered pretty decent when starting off at a first job after finishing school. Most students don't make anywhere close to 45k/year...20-25k if we're lucky for most of us.

BlackArcher101
06-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I'm a student and I make more than $45k so they better be paying better then that if they really want people.

I see... and is this a full-time position you have as an eng.tech? Is this 2 summer jobs? For making $45k, you were pretty interested in that home depot job.

kaput
06-04-2006, 11:55 AM

BlackArcher101
06-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by kaput
Eng. Internship. I'm just saying he could probably expect a bit more given that the industry is so heated right now.

Ah, so you are doing a Eng Co-Op for a degree. He has a diploma. Things are hot right now, but not that hot. Anything more than $40k for a eng.tech to start, is damn good.

accord885
06-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Ya... I'm expecting mid to high 40's to start...

BlackArcher101
06-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Which way are you leaning? Towards sales or towards design?

Depending on what the experience is you have, perhaps you could try consulting? Companies are always looking for project managers to lead a design team, and with your combined skills in sales and now designing, that's another thing to look at.

If you have anything specialized in your past experience, shop it around for sure. That right there could get you a pretty penny.

dirty_magic
06-04-2006, 01:44 PM
I would suggest coming up to Yellowknife and looking for work at the diamond mines, engineers are always in high demand. Avg wage at BHP for example is $81,000 plus a lot of incentives. Typically its two weeks in, two out, and some of the mines will fly you anywhere in western Canada you want to go on your time off.

accord885
06-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by dirty_magic
I would suggest coming up to Yellowknife and looking for work at the diamond mines, engineers are always in high demand. Avg wage at BHP for example is $81,000 plus a lot of incentives. Typically its two weeks in, two out, and some of the mines will fly you anywhere in western Canada you want to go on your time off.

Sounds like it might be worth a look. What are the names of some of the companies up there... might check them out.

Also I am intersted in some hands on jobs too, not just design work.

accord885
06-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Well I have my pass for the Global Petroleum Show tomorrow. Does anyone here work for a O&G company that you know is hiring that I could visit while I'm there. Looking for Design or Hands on field work.

Thanks

kaput
06-12-2006, 05:58 PM

adamc
06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I heard the opposite actually, I am looking for work in the same area, and the lady at randstad suggested I go there to look for work.

She said that there would be recuiters/hr people on hand.

:dunno: But I'm going tomorrow anyway, it's free.

accord885
06-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Ya I heard from a few places that because of the free visitors pass that most of the companys were bringing along HR people. As well most of the Head Hunting firms are going to be there too.

kaput
06-12-2006, 09:37 PM

AzN'SKillZ
06-12-2006, 11:07 PM
is engineer tech different then just being a engineer????

is so wahts the differents??

BlackArcher101
06-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ
is engineer tech different then just being a engineer????

is so wahts the differents??

Big difference. Basically a tech (technologist) is an engineers bitch. Engineers would have a degree and years of work experience. Their education is focused towards theory/numbers. They have the right to approve designs and calculations to ensure they are safe.

Techs have a diploma, either 2 or 3 year. They do a lot of the hands on, practical design problems. Usually will do the drafting and assisting the engineer with other calculations. They cannot approve any designs they create, thus needing to be stamped by a P.Eng.

That's a really general explanation. There is also a technician too. For more detail on the tech side, read this: http://www.aset.ab.ca/comparison.htm

Oh, and then there is the pay difference. :guns:

szw
06-13-2006, 04:01 AM
The petroleum show has its own 'career' section. Their webpage is http://www.oilcareerfair.com/

accord885
06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey... Did anyone make it down to the petro show today? How was it??

I didnt get a chance to, my parking garage was broken into and they smashed out my front window of my car and took some stuff... so i spent the day dealing with that.

I'm going to try and get down tomorrow.

wrxer1
06-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Can anyone go to this show? I though I remembered reading it was $80

accord885
06-14-2006, 02:57 PM
If you fill out the form online and bring it in with ya , you get in for free. I'm going down tomorrow...

Nate
06-14-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm just a Engineering Technologist, and I started at 47K+ full beneits starting right of way

adamc
06-14-2006, 06:13 PM
SO, I've been both yesterday and today..

Lots of stuff to look at, lots of nice new parts and rigs and tools.

Career fair section sucked, were only like four companies there (shell, santos, huskey, some malay company)

Most of the jobs were only for experienced engineers, although I did see some for drilling techs.

The form for free enty is not available on their website anymore, but you might be able to bullshit your way in..

accord885
06-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Nate
I'm just a Engineering Technologist, and I started at 47K+ full beneits starting right of way

Hey... where do you work and how do I get a job there?

szw
06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah the career section was very disappointing. They all took my resume, but they all said for a new grad it would be best to just look on their websites and apply there.

accord885
06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Ya the careers section was a let down. I did however talk to alot of the differnt companies and they gave me lots of contact info for thier HR departments. Some (ie. Halliburton) had HR people there just werent set up in the recruitment area.