PDA

View Full Version : A/C not cold in my 93 325i!!

topher91
06-02-2006, 03:52 PM
AHHH the hot weather is upon us!!!

My AC isn't cold!! Are 93 325i's still using freon?

Do I just need to recharge it? or do you think there is another problem?!!

Chris :eek:

Weapon_R
06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Sounds like you need a recharge. I think the 93s still used R12.

Hirosimezz
06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Somehow I think there might be R134 in there. Am not sure about N.American spec cars, but in Europe and Japan there is a label under the bonnet (sorry, "hood" :nut: ) that indicates what's in there. Green one says - R134, Black one - R12. There is also a tag on the compressor but you are unlikely to see it without taking it off :D. Besides when you have it recharged, ask the shop people to perform a check. Usually the device that recharges the system also has a "probe" function that determines what kind of freon is in there.
R12 is not used any more and instead of it they can offer you a substitute, e.g. Duracool.

Mine needed a recharge too and they refilled the system with this stuff. Now 1 month later everything still works - no leaks, no noises... :thumbsup:

The only unpleasant surprise was the price of the 'charge' - a whopping 150 CAD :whipped::thumbsdow vs 40-50 USD in my home country.

topher91
06-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Hirosimezz
Somehow I think there might be R134 in there. Am not sure about N.American spec cars, but in Europe and Japan there is a label under the bonnet (sorry, "hood" :nut: ) that indicates what's in there. Green one says - R134, Black one - R12. There is also a tag on the compressor but you are unlikely to see it without taking it off :D. Besides when you have it recharged, ask the shop people to perform a check. Usually the device that recharges the system also has a "probe" function that determines what kind of freon is in there.
R12 is not used any more and instead of it they can offer you a substitute, e.g. Duracool.

Mine needed a recharge too and they refilled the system with this stuff. Now 1 month later everything still works - no leaks, no noises... :thumbsup:

The only unpleasant surprise was the price of the 'charge' - a whopping 150 CAD :whipped::thumbsdow vs 40-50 USD in my home country.

Where did you get it done for 150?? They quoted me $200 bux at Calgary BMW! :eek:

I guess its not tooooo bad but if I can get it cheaper I would!!

Chris

Hirosimezz
06-05-2006, 08:18 PM
*MOD EDIT* No contact info allowed for non-sponsors

And all my previous experience tells me to never shop and have older cars serviced at official dealers. With all due respect to them, etc, etc... :D :D

shakalaka
06-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by topher91

Where did you get it done for 150?? They quoted me $200 bux at Calgary BMW! :eek:

Chris

Dude..I think I might have seen you today! I recall seing the car in your sig today! I am not sure where (somewhere in the NE prolly), but I am sure I did. You remember a shiny black bimmer with 'loudish' (wasn't too loud, I don't think so) music and on chrome lipped gunmetal rims drive by? But yea I think I saw the exact bimmer, same color and everything, but then again could be anyone. That'd be me!:D

But to answer your questions, I am pretty sure you just need a refill, it's not that big of a deal. A car repair shop can give you further details, once you hit em up!

Weapon_R
06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by topher91

Chris

lol...are you surprised? I was quoted $1100.00 to do some work at Calgary BMW when I first got my car, went to Nurburbing (sp?) and got it done for less than half of that. The dealer wanted $85.00 to paint that little flap on our rear bumpers that cover the towing eye hook.

topher91
06-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

lol...are you surprised? I was quoted $1100.00 to do some work at Calgary BMW when I first got my car, went to Nurburbing (sp?) and got it done for less than half of that. The dealer wanted $85.00 to paint that little flap on our rear bumpers that cover the towing eye hook.

Nurburbing? Can you PM me the details if you still have it? Where are they? They on Horton Rd?

Thanks,

Chris

topher91
06-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Dude..I think I might have seen you today! I recall seing the car in your sig today! I am not sure where (somewhere in the NE prolly), but I am sure I did. You remember a shiny black bimmer with 'loudish' (wasn't too loud, I don't think so) music and on chrome lipped gunmetal rims drive by? But yea I think I saw the exact bimmer, same color and everything, but then again could be anyone. That'd be me!:D

But to answer your questions, I am pretty sure you just need a refill, it's not that big of a deal. A car repair shop can give you further details, once you hit em up!

Where in the NE? I work on Sunridge way right off of Barlow Tr.

I'm pretty sure I would have noticed your car, it sounds niiiiice haha.... :thumbsup:

Chris

three.eighteen.
06-19-2006, 01:28 AM
nurburgring??