PDA

View Full Version : Mazda (RX7/8) owner: Where do you service your car?

RX_EVOLV
06-02-2006, 04:25 PM
For those of you who owns a rotary engine powered mazda, where do you take you car for servicing (oil change etc) Do you go back to mazda dealer or places like Mr. lube or some specialty shop or just DIY at home?

thanks

BlueFrenzy
06-02-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm still under warranty so I get mine done at NorthHill Mazda. DIY oil changes are easy to do yourself on the 8 but a pain in the butt if you don't have the proper equipment (lift, drain pan, oil filter holder, washers) plus you have to dispose of the oil properly.

Plus for re-sale, if you get all your maintenance done at the dealership (stealership?) and the dealer mechanic inspects it .. he's more likely to give it a better thumbs up. i seem to remember there was a guy here on the board who was selling his acura (well maintained) but the Acura mechanic said something along the lines that the car was ok but the buyer shouldn't buy it because it was not maintained by the dealer. I know that's bullshit but you know how impressionable some people are.

BlueFrenzy
06-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Found the link for you about the acura.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131257&highlight=acura+dealership

arian_ma
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by BlueFrenzy
I'm still under warranty so I get mine done at NorthHill Mazda. DIY oil changes are easy to do yourself on the 8 but a pain in the butt if you don't have the proper equipment (lift, drain pan, oil filter holder, washers) plus you have to dispose of the oil properly.

Plus for re-sale, if you get all your maintenance done at the dealership (stealership?) and the dealer mechanic inspects it .. he's more likely to give it a better thumbs up. i seem to remember there was a guy here on the board who was selling his acura (well maintained) but the Acura mechanic said something along the lines that the car was ok but the buyer shouldn't buy it because it was not maintained by the dealer. I know that's bullshit but you know how impressionable some people are.

Sorry don't know about where to service a rotary but if you need to get rid of your used oil take it to Canadian Tire, they'll take it from ya.

BlueFrenzy
06-03-2006, 02:36 AM
^^^ Really? I had no idea about Crappy Tire. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the don't just funnel it into a Motormaster bottle and sell it back!

RX_EVOLV
06-03-2006, 10:49 AM
aye back to mazda it is then. thanks

LUCKYSTRIKE
06-03-2006, 11:18 AM
If your an 8 owner then your mazda dealer would probably be best since most other generic car service shops dont know a whole lot about rotary. But then again changing the oil isnt that complicated.

If your a 7 owner most of the guys at the dealerships dont know a whole lot about it, but there are still some vets that do.

RX7 specialties is a good shop who only do work on mazda rotary engines and a miatas. You always see 7's parked outside there, I love to go and stare :)

http://www.rotaryengine.com/whoweare.htm

ApexDrift
06-03-2006, 01:29 PM
if you have warranty, go to the dealership

if you dont, then do it at home!

its all very easy to do, if you dont know how to do it the go to the rx7club or rx8club sites and they have downloadable manuels... if you plan on doing it at home then make sure you have the proper tools

OrderedCHAOS
06-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Besides the engine, there isn't much difference between a rotary and a piston powered car.

I have a great distrust of delearships, so if I had a RX-8 I would just service it myself rather than hope that the "techs" get it right. Same goes for RX7 Specialties.

rx7_turbo2
06-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Avoid RX-7 Specialties at ALL COST.

TurboZombie
06-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Avoid RX-7 Specialties at ALL COST.

Bad experience with them?? ^^^^^^^