PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!!

Civicguy
06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
hey guys I need help starting my car up...it has no spark and no fuel and I dont know why. the motor is a b18b1 and it went into my 98 civic si, I just want to someone to help double check the wiring and whatnot to make sure its golden cauze I dont know y its not going

thanks

Stu

EK 2.0
06-03-2006, 06:28 PM
no spark nor fuel...might be an ECU issue...do you hear the pump priming when you turn the ign to the "on" position??

gen2teggy
06-03-2006, 06:29 PM
dizzy?

rc2002
06-03-2006, 06:52 PM
It might be your ECU or main relay. Are you sure both of those are good? Bad wiring could be a culprit too...

Civicguy
06-03-2006, 11:34 PM
I dont even know where to look for the main relay and the ECU should be good I would think cauze I got it from u richard. anyways I will try again tomorrow, and no I dont hear the pump prime...I dont think I ever heard it prime even when it was working

illeagle
06-03-2006, 11:38 PM
if it's the ECU, most of the time the CEL will come on and won't turn off, even with the jumper in. It could also be a bunch of problems at one time.. has this motor ran before in your car? Make sure your ECU has it's lid on, and on properly. My ECU lid was screwed on incorrectly and too tight, and it was shorting out on itself, causing no spark, and no fuel prime.

rc2002
06-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Haha, OK so it's probably not the ECU then. I forgot the ECU came from me - I tested it before I sold it to you so I know it's good.

I'm not sure where the main relay is in a 98. I know that for EF's 88-91's they are just above the fuse boxes on the driver's side. I have a feeling it's wiring or a fuse somewhere. Anybody in Lethbridge that knows Honda wiring?

Civicguy
06-04-2006, 10:27 AM
k I will crack the ECU screws just to double check but ya im lookin for someone in Lethbridge that knows hondas wiring to help find the prob

h_s
06-04-2006, 10:55 AM
ok, look at your thermostat housing, there should be 4 wires (that form into one metal ring) that need to be properly grounded on the housing, if its not there or if its loose that will do it for ya, same problem happened to me

Civicguy
06-04-2006, 12:22 PM
ya there is a ground on the thermo housing but I only saw 2 wires (I think) and I know I didnt take anymore wires off the housing so I dont think its that......but I will double check

h_s
06-04-2006, 01:45 PM
theres 4 but broken into 2 and 2 so your right, it goes into the wiring harness, just make sure the ground is good and clean

Civicguy
06-04-2006, 01:57 PM
that it is....I cleaned it with a wirebrush on my dremel same with the posts on the rotor cap on the dizzy cauze it had white corrosion on it, and also every ground that I saw....just took it and cleaned the body and the ground wire

but with my 98 civic harness it has a crack position sensor and other sensors, but on the 18 dizzy they are all built in would that matter or is that y I use the OBD 2- OBD1 conversion harness?

Civicguy
06-04-2006, 08:38 PM
ok...update here.....fiddled with the car again and just outta luck tried changing ECU from the p74 back to a p2* in my car already....the chipped ECU didnt do any spark or fuel but when I plugged the old ECU in I get spark and fuel now.....it did a small starting but then died, what could that be??? timing??? I dont think it would be cauze when I bought the motor I was told nothin was touched on it or could it be the injectors not gettin into the cylinder cauze I just had fuel at the rail not knowing if it was going to the injectors will check that right away.

OK!!!!! THE PROB IS THE CONVERSION HARNESS!!! when I looked mainly at the harness the small plug that is on the ECU hooks up to the harness BUT there is no wires on the plugged area! the other 2 hook up fine with wires but the little one doesnt hook up at all! so how would I go about and re-wire that harness to go from OBD2a-OBD1?

Civicguy
06-15-2006, 09:04 PM
I just finished my swap in my 98Si with a B18b1 94 teg engine, when I started it up it and got a CEL so I took it to Canadian Tire and they couldnt give me a code due to it couldnt find the motor....they plugged it in the proper OBD plug and they told me that the computer couldnt find the motor, the motor also shakes really bad when I drive and it only revs up to 3500RPM cauze im thinkin its in limp mode due to that .....so y isnt it pickin up on the computer???

jdmsource
06-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Civicguy
I just finished my swap in my 98Si with a B18b1 94 teg engine, when I started it up it and got a CEL so I took it to Canadian Tire and they couldnt give me a code due to it couldnt find the motor....they plugged it in the proper OBD plug and they told me that the computer couldnt find the motor, the motor also shakes really bad when I drive and it only revs up to 3500RPM cauze im thinkin its in limp mode due to that .....so y isnt it pickin up on the computer???

the obd reader at canadian tire is for the obd2 ecus, since u have the obd1 ecu it wont read that. checking for CEL's are super easy Stu, gimme a call tomorrow and i will explain how:thumbsup:

Civicguy
06-15-2006, 10:37 PM
for sure thanks bud