PDA

View Full Version : Please help with offset/ rims upgrade information

LuxCars
06-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Can someone please explain the deal about the "offset" with rims/tires.

Is it important to offset your odometer, spedometer (or whatever else you need to do). And can that be done manually or do you have to take it to a mechanic to do it for you?

Why is it important to do so?

and if i upgraded from a 15" to 17" rims/tires is it important to get a kamber kit (i think thats how you spell it) to straighten out your tires?

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL THOSE WHO WILL REPLY

BlackArcher101
06-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't know where to begin, haha :eek:

Here's a good page to start with, http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Wheel_Fitment_Guide.cfm

GTS Jeff
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Offset is just a measure in millimeters of how far your wheel's center is from it's mounting point. + is more in, - is more out. You need to get properly offsetted wheels for your car so it'll clear the brakes and not rub anywhere.

Weapon_R
06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
What car?

Offset is how far the wheels will stick out, simply put. Every car has different requirements.

And a 15" and 17" wheel and tire combination should end up being the same diameter, since you compensate for a larger wheel by putting a lower profile tire.

tabouli
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM
You shouldnt need a camber kit when you move from 15" to 17" rims.

A2VR6
06-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by tabouli
You shouldnt need a camber kit when you move from 15" to 17" rims. :werd: the only real time you need a camber kit is usually if you lower the car or if you want to have adjustable camber with your current setup.

LuxCars
06-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks to all those who replied. So is it possible for me to do the offseting myself or do i need to take it to any mechanic to do it for me? and anyone know the cost for something like that.

BlackArcher101
06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars
Thanks to all those who replied. So is it possible for me to do the offseting myself or do i need to take it to any mechanic to do it for me? and anyone know the cost for something like that.
:dunno:

Not sure if you are talking about your speedometer or the wheel anymore. If you are talking about the wheel, you should be buying it with the correct offset built into it. You can also buy spacers that go between the wheel and hub.

If you are talking about the speedometer being off when you change the wheel.... ya, take it to the mechanic. It's possible to do yourself, but you have to be comfortable doing so. That being said... you shouldn't have to change it anyways. Just keep the overall tire size the same, switch to a large wheel and a lower profile tire.

Read the link I posted, it has everything.

nismodrifter
06-07-2006, 09:05 PM
When choosing wheels/tires you should NOT have to adjust your speedometer.

When the wheel size get's bigger...the tire sidewall gets smaller...thus keeping the overal diameter VERY close or exactly the same as the stock tire diameter.

Offset is explained here:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

LuxCars
06-08-2006, 12:32 AM
excellent, thanx again.