PDA

View Full Version : Relocating Speakers

BrknFngrs
06-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone has relocated speakers from doors to the top of their dash? Basically how tough it is, whether it helps/hurts sound quality and anything that i should consider before trying this with my 99 Si coupe. Im having a hell of a time trying to get drivers side speaker to work and i dont feel like tracing the wire back through the gromet in the door/under the dash trying to find the problem so im looking at relocating as an alternative.

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
whats wrong so that its not working?

BrknFngrs
06-04-2006, 10:36 PM
i figure its gotta be a faulty wire, probably pinched, goin out to the door. I dont much feel like tracing it back through the gromet/under the sleaves trying to find the break though so im lookin for alternatives.

GTS Jeff
06-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I was wondering if anyone has relocated speakers from doors to the top of their dash? Basically how tough it is, whether it helps/hurts sound quality and anything that i should consider before trying this with my 99 Si coupe. Im having a hell of a time trying to get drivers side speaker to work and i dont feel like tracing the wire back through the gromet in the door/under the dash trying to find the problem so im looking at relocating as an alternative. Cutting the dash and having it not look like a hackjob is going to be difficult.

Why not just run new wire to the door speakers? Make sure you protect the new wires with wire loom. :)

theken
06-04-2006, 11:16 PM
buy new speakers and run new wires to them, or take it into a stereo shop and have them fix it, you will destroy a dash and possibly have your spealer not work there either

Unknown303
06-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah spending an hour or two retracing wire into your doors will be a hell of a lot easier that trying to mold speakers into your dash. Talk about a make work project.

GTS Jeff
06-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention...door speakers are better for sound stage imaging because the speakers are more equidistant from your ears.

Unknown303
06-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Although as far as sounds stage goes, having door speakers drastically lowers the sounds stage, but that can be easily solved by installing some dash tweeters. Then you get the vocals brought up a lot higher.

spike98
06-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Although as far as sounds stage goes, having door speakers drastically lowers the sounds stage, but that can be easily solved by installing some dash tweeters. Then you get the vocals brought up a lot higher.

I dissagree. If done right your soundstage should be at the perfect height. Adding a set of tweeters in the dash with pull your image to the drivers side unless properly set up with time delay and EQing.

Just run a new set of wire. Its not hard if you use a wire snake or a coat hanger. Just run it through the OEM boot. It will be MUCH easier and yeild better results.