PDA

View Full Version : High Pass Setting on Deck HELP ASAP.

Prolifique
06-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey there, I just killed some time figuring what on earth my deck does and I ran into some options, My speakers are running of a RockFord 300x Amp which is a 4 channel and the speakers I have are CDT 62's http://www.cdtaudio.com/hd42_cdt4.htm. I have A F HP1 and a R HP2 option on my Pioneer deck. I don't want to blow my speakers so I'm asking you should my F HP be higher than my R HP? right now it's F HP is at 100hz and my R is at 125 hz. I know somewhat on systems but i'm just worried that tommow my girls or someone will put up the volume and away we go speakers... so be nice if i get a quick response.. Thanks.

GTS Jeff
06-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Prolifique
Hey there, I just killed some time figuring what on earth my deck does and I ran into some options, My speakers are running of a RockFord 300x Amp which is a 4 channel and the speakers I have are CDT 62's http://www.cdtaudio.com/hd42_cdt4.htm. I have A F HP1 and a R HP2 option on my Pioneer deck. I don't want to blow my speakers so I'm asking you should my F HP be higher than my R HP? right now it's F HP is at 100hz and my R is at 125 hz. I know somewhat on systems but i'm just worried that tommow my girls or someone will put up the volume and away we go speakers... so be nice if i get a quick response.. Thanks. The highpass filter is a crossover that cuts out any frequencies lower than what you specify. "F HP1" is obviously the HPF for the front, and "R HP2" is likewise the HPF for the rear.

Now the frequency that set the highpass at is dictated by several things:

1. the speakers' frequency response
2. setting up the sound stage correctly
3. and personal preference.

Now I assume you've got those CDT 62s on the front and rear, so a good baseline would be 80Hz for both the front and rear. It's nice to have quick and responsive bass down to 80Hz. 80Hz is fairly low, but not so low that you'll distort the speakers.

However, the point is somewhat moot because from what I can tell (on the link you posted) the passive crossover already has a built in HPF at 100Hz.

Prolifique
06-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Yea I don't have any rear speakers right now just fronts.. so should they be set at 80hz or 100 or 125? and my amp is running only my fronts as that's the only speakers in my vehicle right now..Thanks

Prolifique
06-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks Jeff I owe ya one, however if they were set at 100 and the rears at 125 could it damage the speakers? or vice versa.. Thanks.

theken
06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
it only controls the bas noise to the speakers, so at 100hz nothing lower then 100 hz would travel into your speakers (the lower the hz the more bassy, so like 20hz is a fairlt deep bass tone) you can crank your speakers up all you want and you wont damage then passed on crossever setting, unless you put it on a low setting and pump too much bass into them.

GTS Jeff
06-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks Jeff I owe ya one, however if they were set at 100 and the rears at 125 could it damage the speakers? or vice versa.. Thanks. No worries, your speakers are fine. Just leave the setting at 80Hz for now. The trick to not blowing speakers is to not let them distort for any period of time. Distortion is just basically when your speakers stop sounding right. Tell all them hoes to keep the volume under a certain level (like give them a specific number on the deck.)

Prolifique
06-05-2006, 12:53 AM
so If i hear the bass from my speakers sound like it's plopping? like hitting the basket that's not good though.. or can those speakers handle it and it's normal? I'm just questioning although I think i know the obvious.

GTS Jeff
06-05-2006, 01:13 AM
so If i hear the bass from my speakers sound like it's plopping? like hitting the basket that's not good though.. or can those speakers handle it and it's normal? I'm just questioning although I think i know the obvious. Umm anytime your speakers make funny noises, that's not a good thing. Don't turn them up so loud.

Prolifique
06-05-2006, 01:19 AM
it's at 80hz as you told me but yea maybe I shouldn't although it's only at 25 on the volume scale thing... I think it's that BBE thing on my deck it makes it sound virtual surround but it also increases everything volume wise... I also have real sharp ears so maybe it's just me cause only some songs it does that and it's very minor but I think bass should sound clean non the less which is my whole purpose of this thread. Thankya.

GTS Jeff
06-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Turn off BBE, any preset EQ curves, and loudness functions. Then go and set the EQ yourself. Actually there are a million things to adjust to make a sound system sound right...