PDA

View Full Version : Sound newb

bimmerboy08
06-05-2006, 12:02 PM
I jus got my first car and its a '91 bmw, i was wondering what you all would suggest for a sounds system cuz..this baby doesnt even hav a CD player.

f150mikey060
06-05-2006, 06:27 PM
IMO your first step would be to buy a cd payer. It will impove your overall sound and you can build everything off of that. once you have done that, you gotta ask yourself what you want out of your system (SPL, SQ, SQL), and how much you are looking to spend. As soon as you have you have decided on that, people will be able to give you some good suggestions on brands and all that:)

Delmar
06-10-2006, 06:20 PM
whats spl, sq, and sql?

..also a sound newb

Prolifique
06-10-2006, 07:55 PM
spl is sound pressure level, sq is sound quality or sound quality level hence sql. It's terms for sound systems and such.

WWJAI
06-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Most likely you'll be going for SQ stuff... SPL is just for the insane.

^I agree with "f150mikey060"...get a cd/mp3 deck first and then go from there depending on your budget. For front speakers, i definitely recommend a pair of component speakers <-I don't think i'll ever have a car again without installing these
:thumbsup:

Unknown303
06-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah definately look into a deck for the car first. Depending on what your for after that will govern what you will get next. But i also agree with the component speakers for in the front doors give you really crisp sound. Then get sub, sub box and a monoblock amp for the sub.

But first and for most start reading about car audio, buy magazines, search forums, all that crap. Because when building a system its going to pay off in the long run to know as much as possible about this stuff rather than always having to ask for peoples advice. Not that what your doing in this forum is wrong, this is a great starting point, i'm just saying getting the knowledge will always help.

thrasher22
06-14-2006, 02:48 PM
check out www.canadiancaraudio.com, lots of great information.

Start with a quality deck, don't cheap out and get something that doesnt' have sub control, odds are you'll regret it later and have to buy another better deck.

You can pick up a used alpine deck for a decent price, not as flashy as other companies in the base models, but sound amazing and are super durable. I've owned JVC, AWIA, pioneer and the alpine is by far my favorite.

After you get a deck I'd say get speakers next, everyone goes for the sub/amp next, and you'll notice the most difference, but odds are it wont' sound good unless you listen to nothing but rap.