PDA

View Full Version : Shaw PVRs

clem24
06-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Just checking out Shaw's site. Do they have a PVR that is non HD? I can't seem to find any info on one. I thought that there was a DCT + PVR that is non-HD in existence.

GQBalla
06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
i think bell only has the pvr non hd.

Crymson
06-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I have the HD PVR, it's pretty rad.

I think it's 100$ cheaper at Sound surround than if you get it from Shaw,

But don't let the fucking bastards lie to you, and tell you that there are no component video cables inside, then only have a 7 day but "at our discretion" return policy.

Oh, and BTW.

FS: Monster Component cables, 200$

Jackasses.

anarchy
06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Shaw has 3 Digital Cable Terminals.

One is just a normal digital terminal, one is a HD terminal, and one is a HD PVR. There is no non-HD PVR's.

benyl
06-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Just get a Tivo

Bill Cosby
06-05-2006, 05:49 PM
can i use a tivo in canada?.. is there a way i do not have to pay the suscription costs?
i saw some on ebay going for $150 bones. just wondering im a newbie with this stuff

thanks

Turboboost
06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
In winnipeg they sell non HD PVR's maybe you could get one shipped out there... I dont know, just a thought:angel:

benyl
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
can i use a tivo in canada?.. is there a way i do not have to pay the suscription costs?
i saw some on ebay going for $150 bones. just wondering im a newbie with this stuff

thanks

Yes, you can get Tivo in Canada. You have to buy the box from the states though.

Pay the fee. It is like $14/month and it record everything for you. If the show gets pre-empted and moved, it will pick up the changes and record it for you.

I do not know how to hack it cause it would take me more time to figure it out than paying the $150/year.

sexualbanana
06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Yes, you can get Tivo in Canada. You have to buy the box from the states though.

Pay the fee. It is like $14/month and it record everything for you. If the show gets pre-empted and moved, it will pick up the changes and record it for you.

I do not know how to hack it cause it would take me more time to figure it out than paying the $150/year.

When was this allowed? I was told that I can't use Tivo unless I have an american address and social security number.

Impreza
06-06-2006, 12:01 AM
I have the HD PVR for shaw and don't really like the interface. Is the TIVO that much better? Cause if it is, I may sell the HD PVR and buy a normal HD receiver and buy a TIVO.

Oz-
06-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Tivo began offering programming for Canada I think sometime of the Fall of 2005. I got my Tivo in October of 2005 and love it, the interface is great and a bit better then the motorola interface.

I tried out the Comcast HD PVR interface while down in the states and it did its job but not as clean as the Tivo. My assumption is that the Shaw PVR has the same interface.

benyl
06-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I have had mine since September or October. there was a big thread on it that rage2 started.

The price does change every month with the exchange rate...

Lo)2enz0
06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
from surftime in chinnok (the shaw kiosk) we sell them for $800.36 after tax's. I know alot of people want them but when they hear the price they are ussually turned off. but i have heard good reviews from returning customers

Neil4Speed
06-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I have had mine since September or October. there was a big thread on it that rage2 started.

The price does change every month with the exchange rate...

I wouldn't imagine that you get the local channels though right?

benyl
06-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I wouldn't imagine that you get the local channels though right?

Yeah, it has all the local channels and local programming.

I bought my Tivo off ebay for $80. I swapped in a 300 GB HD for the 40 GB it came with. Cheapest way to get a high capacity non-HD PVR.

clem24
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Wow $150 per year just to subscribe to TiVO? Yikes. That's 12/month on TOP of my shaw bill. Maybe I should just get a non shaw PVR. I think they had some at FS for $400.

Loose
06-07-2006, 10:00 AM
the non shaw one can't control the box though, right?

The SHAV PVR rocks:
-dual tuners
-record two shows while watching a previously recorded one
-HDTV capable
-create "series" recordings so that your favorite shows are always recorded

benyl
06-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Wow $150 per year just to subscribe to TiVO? Yikes. That's 12/month on TOP of my shaw bill. Maybe I should just get a non shaw PVR. I think they had some at FS for $400.

You can pay Tivo $299 for a lifetime subscription. But it is tied to the box.

Tivo now has a two tuner box as well. Season pass manager is great. didn't miss an episode of anything I wanted last season.

eb0i
06-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I have a dvd recorder with a hard drive and it works great. It has TV Guide included and TV Guide updates for free through your normal cable. So I pay no monthly fees and still get a guide that is a week and a half in advance. I pick my shows and let the machine do the rest. And if I want a hard copy of the show I just transfer it to a DVD in a matter of minutes. I can even edit the shows before I put them onto DVD. I can remove commercials and put in chapter markers if I like. And best of all, it is really easy to use.
:thumbsup: x 2 for dvd recorders w/ hard drive.

P.S. I can watch other shows that I have recorded while I'm recording. I can pause the hockey game and rewind while recording. It rocks :D

eblend
06-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Just buy a computer with with windows mce installed and a tv tunner, get program guide, do all your recording, series recordings anything like that free of stupid monthly charges, and its none HD so you can just hook it up to your normal cable you have right now and off you go, comes with remote so works just like a pvr. Been doing that with mine for a year and a bit now works great, and whats better is if you got an xbox or a 360, media centre extender (build into the 360, addon for normal xbox) and you can do all the same stuff you do downstairs (program guide, tv, watch recorded stuff videos movies pics all that ) upstairs though your xbox over the network, works like a dream no lag at all :d

Xtrema
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM

You can pay Tivo $299 for a lifetime subscription. But it is tied to the box.

Tivo now has a two tuner box as well. Season pass manager is great. didn't miss an episode of anything I wanted last season.

I think lifetime subscription is not offered anymore.

clem24
06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Hmm, I think the hard disk/dvd recorder appears to be the winner. Which model you got eblend?

eblend
06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Hmm, I think the hard disk/dvd recorder appears to be the winner. Which model you got eblend?

i don't got the harddisk/dvd recorder, eb0i does

I got just a normal HP media centre pc for all my stuff :D

eb0i
06-08-2006, 11:26 AM

pioneer DVR-633H

Bill Cosby
06-08-2006, 11:47 AM
hmm i think i will just use my 360 and media centre to record tv,

CaptainReboot
06-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Futureshop has a sale where the HD PVR is 657 and there is a 50 dollar coupon on top of that because of fathers' day.

Works out ot be 607 before tax. Is that cheap for this thing?

supeg
06-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I dont see this deal

CaptainReboot
06-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by supeg
I dont see this deal

It ended on Thrusday.

Xtrema
06-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
Futureshop has a sale where the HD PVR is 657 and there is a 50 dollar coupon on top of that because of fathers' day.

Works out ot be 607 before tax. Is that cheap for this thing?

New subscribers only probably. Shaw is advertising it to be $750 on their website. So $607 with no string attached is quite a good price.

supeg
06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
kewl.

Just bought one off of ebay, 425 us dollars, not to bad.