PDA

View Full Version : Personal Injury claim

VexxMedia
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
I am posting this for my girlfriend so I don't know all the details of what happened. But here is what my girlfriend has told me so far.

She got in a very small fender bender (more like a love tap). The car in front of my girlfriend slammed on her breaks after a truck in front of her came to a complete stop on a green light. My girlfriend then had to slam on her breaks but ended up giving the woman in front of her a small tap. The lady got out and said there was no damage and she even appologized because she had to slam on the breaks. There was not a scratch on either of the cars, but the woman did take my girlfriends insurance info.

3 weeks later my girlfriend recieved a call from her insurance company saying that this woman is now claiming personal injury.

Does anyone have any insight they can share? Neither my girlfriend or I have any idea what to do, but we would like to fight this if at all possible because we both know this lady is just trying to steal a couple bux from the insurance people.

Thanks all

shakalaka
06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
If she's going through a lawyer then you'd prolly have to do the same. PM me I can give you info about some good Personal Injury Law Firm! I am sure they can advice you on wha to do.

natejj
06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I am pretty sure your insurance handles all of this, so dont worry about it. Just call your insurance and ask them what they want you to do.

wesseam
06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
its not neccessary true that she is trying to steal a couple buckets from the insurance company, i got into a love tap accident were a guy nugged my car, there was no damage on either car, so i told they guy it was cool, no harm done. but the next day when i woke up in the morning my neck was killing me, and it continued to be that way for a few weeks, then it slowly went away. i never took the guys info from him, mostly because i had intensions on sueing him for insurance money. but back on topic, a small love tap can cause injuries to a person.

lint
06-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Let your insurance company sort it out. They will probably send someone out to get a statement from you and that will be that. Just be honest about what happened and let your insruance company do its job.

natejj
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by wesseam
its not neccessary true that she is trying to steal a couple buckets from the insurance company, i got into a love tap accident were a guy nugged my car, there was no damage on either car, so i told they guy it was cool, no harm done. but the next day when i woke up in the morning my neck was killing me, and it continued to be that way for a few weeks, then it slowly went away. i never took the guys info from him, mostly because i had intensions on sueing him for insurance money. but back on topic, a small love tap can cause injuries to a person.

always...... get...... their info. no ifs and ors or buts

shakalaka
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
^I am pretty sure if he doesn't do anything about it, the other person will just win the claim!

VexxMedia
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
OK cool, thanks for the info.

Typically what would be the resulting increase in insurance for her? Will this be a major jump in premiums?

lint
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
^I am pretty sure if he doesn't do anything about it, the other person will just win the claim!

because his insurance company is going to roll over and play dead? Not likely. They have claim adjusters out to protect their interests, and they're pretty good at spotting or identifying fraudulent claims.

topmade
06-06-2006, 11:38 AM
:werd: your gf's insurance company is probably already in the works in regards to this claim. My buddy got in a 3 car addicent, he was car #3 and he hit car #2 which hit car #1. A few weeks after the accident car #1 sued him and after about 2 years, his insurance paid out like 40k. So really just because there seemed to be nothing wrong initially there could be something that comes out later on and it doesn't really mean the person is faking it either.

EDIT: his insurance premiums did go up, but not that much to make him stop driving.

shakalaka
06-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by lint

because his insurance company is going to roll over and play dead? Not likely. They have claim adjusters out to protect their interests, and they're pretty good at spotting or identifying fraudulent claims.

That's all ballocks mate. I know people that have done fradulent claims and won easy money. One of my cousins had someone else back their car into his and all that happened was the plastic came off of his bumper. He did a claim with a lawyer and the other company's insurance adjuster came to look at it. He had taken off the whole piece of plastic before the guy got there, and the adjuster asked him his preffered place of repair, he said some really expensive shop. His was a decent car as well. And the adjuster quoted the repair price around $1800. It only took him him like $300 to fix that. Plus since he went on with a Lawyer, he ended up doing Injury Claims as well whiplash, back ache, what not! He ended up winning another 6 grand or so!

kaput
06-06-2006, 11:57 AM

lint
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

That's all ballocks mate. I know people that have done fradulent claims and won easy money. One of my cousins had someone else back their car into his and all that happened was the plastic came off of his bumper. He did a claim with a lawyer and the other company's insurance adjuster came to look at it. He had taken off the whole piece of plastic before the guy got there, and the adjuster asked him his preffered place of repair, he said some really expensive shop. His was a decent car as well. And the adjuster quoted the repair price around $1800. It only took him him like $300 to fix that. Plus since he went on with a Lawyer, he ended up doing Injury Claims as well whiplash, back ache, what not! He ended up winning another 6 grand or so!

Your grammar leaves something to be desired since I can't tell if you're talking about your cousin who was backed into or the guy who backed into your cousin as the individual that received $6K. Regardless, your cousin isn't the one who's paying the $6K, the insurance company is.

You're arguing from the wrong side. His gf wasn't the one who was hit. She did the hitting. Since it was a rear ender she is at fault, regardless. If the "victim" has filed a claim and is going through her insurance, you want to let your insurance company deal with it since that's what they do and that's why you pay them. If they can't prove it's a fraudulent claim, how are you going to do it? Once injury is involved, don't even think about settling outside of insurance, because that can really come back to bite you on the ass down the road.

shakalaka
06-06-2006, 12:30 PM
You took it wrong, my cousin is the one who got that money not the other person. The other guy backed into him.

My whole point I guess was that the 'victim' my cousin despite not taking any serious damage to the car or injury to himself, won loads of money. Because the other person had their insurance adjuster handle it.

j0nblayz
06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
same thing happened to me 5 years ago. Was driving on macleod by chinook southbound, and this lady front of me out of no where slams on her brakes, since it was winter and there was snow on the ground i slid into her car. I was probably traveling at around 30 or so km, her van had no damage at all, my old civic got pretty banged up, front bumper and hood needed to be replaced since my car slid under her back bumper. I ran to the driver who was with her daughter and talked to them right away, she said some truck did a sudden stop front of her, i didn't see any car front of her when she slammed on her brakes. Anyways, they told me there fine, and about a week after they claimed injury saying her daughter cant walk anymore. They got a huge claim and i got kicked off my insurance. My dads friend who works at a insurance company hooked me up to get insurance again, but costed me $850 a month. Best thing to do in that case, is get a written statement from the other party right away stating they are ok and get a signature from them, that what my lawyer told me to do next time, but personally i dont think getting a statement wouldeve worked. who knows, i'll try next time if i get in that kind of situation.