PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh, PS3 fanboys are not going to like this......

Xtrema
06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32159

Then came the horrible news, RSX appears to be limited to setting up 275 Million triangles/second, anemic compared to the 500+ million in XBox360.

For local memory, the measured vs theoretical bandwidth is missing, I wonder why? RSX is at a solid 22.4GBps for both read and write, good job there green team. Then comes the blue team with Cell. Local memory write is about 4GBps, 40% of the next slowest bandwidth there. Then comes the bomb from hell, the Cell local memory read bandwidth is a stunning 16MBps, note that is a capital M to connote Mega vs a capital G to connote Giga. This is a three order of magnitude oopsie, and it is an oopsie, as Sony put it "(no, this isn't a typo...)".

All the devs I talked to were lukewarm on the 360 architecture but universally negative on the PS3. Revelations like this go a long way to explain why you keep hearing about simmering problems from the Sony devs.

As confirmed E3 demo of GT4 is running out of a PC.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31681

To sum it up:

You end up with a console with half the triangle setup rate of the 360, a crippled CPU that is a bitch to program, and tools that are atrocious compared to the 360. To make matters worse, you have an arrogant set of execs telling us that twice the price is worth it for half the power, a year late. If it isn't already too late, Sony had better do something about this recto-cranial inversion or it may very well sink the console.

Still think PS3 will be in by Christmas?

benyl
06-07-2006, 09:19 AM
haha, nice.

http://www.theinquirer.net/images/articles/PS3_memory_bandwidths.jpg

ZEDGE
06-07-2006, 09:19 AM
:popcorn:

2000_SI
06-07-2006, 09:36 AM
:drama:
Unfortunatly, you might still have to buy one to play games like GT5, MGS3, Killzone, ect... :thumbsdow

kaput
06-07-2006, 09:42 AM

Xtrema
06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
:drama:
Unfortunatly, you might still have to buy one to play games like GT5, MGS3, Killzone, ect... :thumbsdow

Unless developer comes to their senses and say screw it and move on to 360. (Very unlikely since Japanese are patriotic bunch) Developer don't work for free. How much you can charge for a game is already be set. If devs has to spend crazy amount to time to churn out a game, the plaftorm will probably become afterthought. And more developers may jump on the 360 bandwagon for a quicker buck.

benyl
06-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I expect that GT5 will just be GT4 with more cars... haha.

heavyD
06-07-2006, 11:14 AM
I still think it will be out before Christmas. The articles are nothing really new though as we've known this stuff for some time. Selected developers with lots of staff & resources like EA, Ubisoft, etc will still be able to develope many PS3 games while smaller developers may not may find developing for the PS3 feasable and concentrate on 360 or Wii. IMO you will see some games on PS3 that look better than 360 and some 360 games that look better than PS3. Since both consoles have major HP it's more up to how developers can utilize the hardware to the max & that may be easier on the 360 but we will have to wait & see.

Millsie
06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry guys, I love my PS2 and am curious about this thread, but its not clear to me as to what the issue is? Is it that the PS3 is simply overwhelmed by these games already from a memory point? I should have taken more IT and less Accounting at university I guess!

habsfan
06-07-2006, 11:35 AM
i've been a playstation fanboy since the original...but sony has all but lost me now with their ps3 bullshit.

b_t
06-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I expect that GT5 will just be GT4 with more cars... haha. \

I'm thinking it will be like GT3... so, the same old crappy AI, not even half as many cars as GT4, and still a waft of Vitz Cup races

Xtrema
06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
PS3 size comparison
http://byonabi.haru.gs/ma2/vip/data/uppp37602.jpg
http://byonabi.haru.gs/ma2/vip/data/gamemacin.jpg

awd
06-09-2006, 09:52 AM
The funny part is, millions of fanboys worldwide will spend twice the money on half the system.

Vagabond142
06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
As much as I am horrified to say it... all the recent crap from Sony may make me buy a X360 :eek:

Xtrema
06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
That should call the event Devastation instead of Devstation.

I think the developers are Devasated seeing what they have to work with.

AJL
06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I think I made the right decision to go and buy a 360. Im considering the Wii as well.

natejj
06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
wii owns all.

SLK55
06-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32159

As confirmed E3 demo of GT4 is running out of a PC.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31681

To sum it up:

Still think PS3 will be in by Christmas?

Its just hype.

M_K_3
06-10-2006, 09:46 PM
360 is the way to go EFF the sony :)

googe
06-10-2006, 10:15 PM
More fun:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/more-ps3-downgrades-on-the-way-179863.php

http://videogames.yahoo.com/newsarticle?eid=452561&page=0

SLK55
06-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by M_K_3
360 is the way to go EFF the sony :)

Im actually kind of tempted now to get one. But is it true that you only get a 60 day warranty? what a joke, because Ive heard a lot of them dying and stuff. So basically you have to pay for a warranty :thumbsdow

AzN'SKillZ
06-11-2006, 02:59 AM
all these articles that are bein showd can be compared to the tabloids. they talk about all this bs that arnt confirmed yet.

ps that one article about games at E3 runnin on a pc sounds fake, if it was true then more ppl woulda notice and alot of ppl woulda made a big deal over it

ZEDGE
06-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by SLK55

Im actually kind of tempted now to get one. But is it true that you only get a 60 day warranty? what a joke, because Ive heard a lot of them dying and stuff. So basically you have to pay for a warranty :thumbsdow

Do you think the launch PS3s will be any different?? (regarding dying etc)

Highly unlikely.

ZEDGE
06-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ
all these articles that are bein showd can be compared to the tabloids. they talk about all this bs that arnt confirmed yet.

ps that one article about games at E3 runnin on a pc sounds fake, if it was true then more ppl woulda notice and alot of ppl woulda made a big deal over it

The PC thing was reported on numerous sites. I doubt its fake.

SLK55
06-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

Do you think the launch PS3s will be any different?? (regarding dying etc)

Highly unlikely.

60 days warranty is a joke. I suppose if someone buys one, best to get the 2yr PSP then eh?

I have a friend whose little brother works at EB and says half of the 360s hes sold have been returned due to problems.

googe
06-11-2006, 05:29 PM

Of course there always has to be the fanboys that argue blindly against facts no matter what :D

fyi, most of this "bs bein showd" is confirmed, it was sony who released the specs.

Originally posted by SLK55

60 days warranty is a joke. I suppose if someone buys one, best to get the 2yr PSP then eh?

I have a friend whose little brother works at EB and says half of the 360s hes sold have been returned due to problems.

ive never had a problem or heard of anyone thats had a problem, other than people that "have a friend of a friend that had a problem". there are a few but i dont think its very common. MS is still replacing bad ones that were bought as far back as launch for free though, way outside of the 60 days. i think they said 60 days but just keep doing it no questions asked.

Xtrema
06-11-2006, 11:30 PM

You should read Kotaku's blog when one pissed off Sony exec yell at somebody about GT4 demo is too quiet and that dude yell back that it's emulation and it's as loud as it goes.

eblend
06-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Last I checked it was a 90 day warranty on those 360s and not 60 days, i may be wrong. At any rate, had mine for 2 month now and haven't had a single problem at all. And i play ALOT

AzN'SKillZ
06-12-2006, 01:21 AM
im not trying to agrue blindly againts facts. im just questioning how reliable these facts are becasue so far tis is the first time i seen these information. and most of these sites dont not too reliable they kinda look like those tabloids that make up stuff to atract ppl.

SLK55
06-12-2006, 01:54 AM
360 is now 6 months warranty. Called MS tonight.:thumbsup:

Did most of you guys get ext warranty through MS?

And during that 6 months, you can ext at anytime, doesnt have to be right away. Which is quite nice.

Not like Future Shafts $70 for 2yrs, pay them to ship it out for you :thumbsdow

ex1z7
06-12-2006, 02:06 AM
In regards to everyone talking about X360's having problems.. I was quite amazed to see my friend's xbox 360 took 6 to 8 tries to turn on and run..and once it turned on, it took another 3 or 4 restarts to log on..He was about to take it back Saturday, but his girlfriend (ex now) threw his 360 at his new laptop..

Laptops fucked, 360 works absolutely perfect now.

...She got arrested for that, too, btw.

Xtrema
06-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by ex1z7
In regards to everyone talking about X360's having problems.. I was quite amazed to see my friend's xbox 360 took 6 to 8 tries to turn on and run..and once it turned on, it took another 3 or 4 restarts to log on..He was about to take it back Saturday, but his girlfriend (ex now) threw his 360 at his new laptop..

Too much time on 360 and not enough on the pussy?
Did your friend start treating GF's nipples as thumbsticks?

:rofl:

ZEDGE
06-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ex1z7

LOL

wtf

robpark
06-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Every single console launch has its bugs. PS2 launch was horrible... IT got so bad that the defective ratio for a spell there was 75%. Sony is no better than Microsoft or Nintendo and they all offer the same warranties as each other (generally speaking, not one warranty stands out amongst the others).

Recca168
06-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Not too sure whats fact with all this BS going around. But i'm going with my previous sony experience. Got first gen ps1 and ps2..... got burned both times on defects.... so i'm gonna wait a while this time around. until then i'm getting wii :thumbsup:

glennc
06-13-2006, 03:42 AM
YOU CAN'T BEAT MICROSOFT.

No matter how hard you try, you can't. Sony won't, nintendo, the original... can't.

Ever since microsoft came into the console gaming market other systems have been slowly dying.

SLK55
06-13-2006, 04:27 AM
Yay or Nay for ext. warranty on it guys?

glennc
06-13-2006, 04:34 AM
I always do extended warranties, unless the price of the product is similar to the price of the warranty.

100 bucks might save you 400 down the line. Not to mention the peace of mind.

Millsie
06-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Ummm...Sony outsold its PS2 to the Xbox like 5:1 or so. Sony has the market share, not microsoft. That said, this delay on the PS3 launch and then this news about performance could certainly change things for Sony.

Originally posted by glennc
YOU CAN'T BEAT MICROSOFT.

No matter how hard you try, you can't. Sony won't, nintendo, the original... can't.

Ever since microsoft came into the console gaming market other systems have been slowly dying.

kaput
06-13-2006, 08:45 AM

soupey
06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/vgbwc.jpg

DJ Lazy
06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
^^:rofl: :rofl:

j0m3r
06-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Xbox 360 decimates the PS3... who gives a crap about motion control :thumbsdow , People already make fun of you playing videogames, do you want to ad insult to injury by looking like a retard playing GT5?

deadsoulasis
07-04-2006, 02:22 PM
leader in sale's is Sony ...(bottom line)

as for the Xbox360...wasnt well built for cooling (where over half the problems are ...just like PC's)

Standard 360 running 3 hours (31 degree's INSIDE CASE)

New 360 (with 120mm fans,interior and exterior) running 3 hours (22 degree's) ---- runtime 4 days 2 hr's straight (24 degree's,zero freezing up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAYqDimues

AzN'SKillZ
07-24-2006, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by kaput
Sony has been in the market for how many years? They're on their third generation console. Microsoft just hopped in fairly recently and in a very short period of time has become the number one competitor. I would say they are definitely on track to take the lead.

well ps2 did sell like 3-4 times more then xbox did. there are only three current competitors sony, nintendo, microsoft. and since nintendo did such a bad job last gen it let microsoft come in and become top competitor. has nothing to do with sony.

Unknown303
08-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by deadsoulasis
leader in sale's is Sony ...(bottom line)

as for the Xbox360...wasnt well built for cooling (where over half the problems are ...just like PC's)

Standard 360 running 3 hours (31 degree's INSIDE CASE)

New 360 (with 120mm fans,interior and exterior) running 3 hours (22 degree's) ---- runtime 4 days 2 hr's straight (24 degree's,zero freezing up)

Most overheating problems for anything that has pc components should occur until above 70 degrees. AMD cpus are capable of running stable well into the 70's. But in the end if the system is designed to shutdown at a lower temp i guess it will probably fail anyways.

Microsoft entered the console market fairly recently incomparison to other companies in the market, and are already heading on the path to become the leader. Just like microsoft does in all other aspects of the company.

Whey2Juiced
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
360 is a POS, i know people who are on like their 4th or 5th right now.

PS3 japanese made stuff for the win. :thumbsup:

bspot
08-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Whey2Juiced

Last thread you said it was 11. :rolleyes:

deadsouloasis, please die.

Unknown303
08-01-2006, 01:43 PM

They also made the PS3 half as fast as the 360?? :dunno: That should seal its faith.

Whey2Juiced
08-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

They also made the PS3 half as fast as the 360?? :dunno: That should seal its faith.

PS3 is already made, packed in boxes and ready to go?:dunno:

Xtrema
08-01-2006, 06:19 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: fanboyism is funny.

BTW, they are all made in Taiwan's Asustek and Foxconn (http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2006/07/18/afx2888056.html).

Engineered by different companies from different part of the world and organized by Sony.

If you think Japanese products are always superior, you just havn't see the PS2 class action suit and optical drive failure rate even in the late production.

Everyone is out for a buck and will try to reduce cost wherever they can.

Xtrema
08-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Not true. Both are basically the same. But it may take longer for PS3 developers to unlock its potential. And from what I've read so far, there'll be some stuff that will be better on a PS3 than 360 and vice versa. But all the technical prowness never guaranteed a good game. (Neo Geo, Turbographix 16 comes to mind).

I predict that 360 will take all America and Europe and PS3 will take Asia. With China being the wildcard.

Good news for PS3 is that 360 isn't gaining any ground in Japan so that'll keep some developers on their side. But they better start delivering hits within months of launch to get momentum going. Plus, Sony can't afford another PSP blunder.

AzN'SKillZ
08-02-2006, 12:47 AM

half ass fast??

u should check ur facts the ps3 strip down version is better then the 360 premium

avow
08-02-2006, 01:01 AM
here we go...

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1371/ps3liebackend7qess3.jpg

then again what else is new from sony...

dino_martini
08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Wow, I was a real PS3 fanboy but Im not so sure anymore. Maybe I should just wait it out and buy a 360 when they come down in price a little. Maybe around the $399 range.

Xtrema
08-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Wow, I was a real PS3 fanboy but Im not so sure anymore. Maybe I should just wait it out and buy a 360 when they come down in price a little. Maybe around the $399 range.

It won't drop anytime soon because Sony has set their price so high. But better bundles (i.e. more stuff) will be coming/here.

Jury is still out, it could be a 3 way tie.

Kavy
08-09-2006, 12:43 AM

half ass fast??

u should check ur facts the ps3 strip down version is better then the 360 premium

first off there is no difference besides the harddrive and wireless controller in a core and premium, secondly your wrong. Bandwidth and pipelines are less then 50% of the throughtput the 360 can do he sony system is way underpowered. First clue should be how AMD and intel would not touch Cell technology in PC's because of terrible latency issues.

I love sony and my no means am microsoft fan boy but the 360 owns in hardware on this one so sony will have to own on software to make it work.

heavyD
08-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
First clue should be how AMD and intel would not touch Cell technology in PC's because of terrible latency issues.

Not to mention how Apple wanted nothing to do with the cell & opted for intel instead. Here's a quote: "Mr. Jobs rejected the idea, telling Mr. Kutaragi that he was disappointed with the Cell design, which he believes will be even less effective than the PowerPC." Not a good sign & it makes me wonder why Sony & IBM would put all the money & resources into a processor which was going to be limited to use in a console & to a lesser extent, home electronics.

Xtrema
08-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
First clue should be how AMD and intel would not touch Cell technology in PC's because of terrible latency issues.

I think it's legacy issue. Cell is RISC which won't work for most of the software writtern for CISC (Intel/AMD) processors.

Also, Job has always wanted to tap Intel for processors because it's much cheaper which give every Apple sold a higher profit margin.