PDA

View Full Version : Vipers feel so Cheap

Pages : [1] 2 3

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
So i got to test drive a viper for the first time.
It was an SRT-10 fully loaded and lets just say the car is horrible.

10 reasons i hated it.....

1. It has the same stereo as my body's Jeep TJ
2. The Clutch is designed for people that are approx 8 feet tall.
3. Dodge has no sense of the term short shifter. Its a mile long from First to second.
4. The guages are hudge and butt ugly.
5. Yeah its Fast...but not that fast considering it has a V-10. It dynoed a lowzy 510hp at the weels. There are Rotary supped up Rx-7's that cost half as much that pull these numbers.
6. You can see the screws that put the dash board together.
7. A bitch to get in and out of
8. Worse Milleage then a Hummer
9. The dash was already making cracking sounds when taking tight corners
10. Plastic Head lights......(all its competitors have glass)

Well lets say that for 125,000 dollars you could buy a 98,000 Porshe then use the 20,000 dollars to throw in a supercharger and other feul modifications and inturn you will have a viper eater with a much better feal and quality.

Stephen81
06-07-2006, 02:55 PM
yeah, but it's a Viper man :drool: ....i drove behind one not even an hour ago, it was an older R/T though and damnnnn there's just something about them! the kind of people who buy Vipers don't seem to care about those little issues IMO.

and, yes, there are RX-7s that dyno as much but just don't have that raw sex appeal:D

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 03:00 PM
In my opinion, you are absolutely right I had the same experience. I sat in one, have never driven it - same radio as my buddy's PT Cruiser (he noticed, not me). I reached under the dash and there was a rats nest of wires. Large displacement motors rarely producing the HP numbers you'd expect, average fit and finish - welcome to the majority of American vehicles my friend. The only thing is that some american cars are cheaper than their competition to justify the difference in fit and finish. Not the viper though, even the magazines don't like them that much from my reading. That being said, im sure it appeals to some people and its proably fun on the race track, and I would still like to drive one.

Please note this is just my opinion as Im not looking to start any arguements, although while writing this reply I have seen an arguement already is starting in other replies lol.

Mark

b_t
06-07-2006, 03:02 PM
well, in my opinion...

1. all factory stereos suck ass, so no big deal
2. people who are 8 feet tall do not even fit in the car, and the clutch is not that bad
3. short shifters are for ricers. the shifter still feels perfect, its very sharp.
4. I don't know what hudge is, I think you mean huge. they ARE huge, and damn right they are, because they need to be easy to see, it is too easy to cruise at 190km/h in that car
5. ahahaaha but when all is said and done, that RX-7 will still have a rotary and 300lb-ft less torque then the Viper does.. the F40 has a twin turbo V8 and only makes a lowsy 450hp, that car must suck!
6. yeah, so?
7. it reminds you that the car is an impractical race car for the street.. the only tube chassis car avaliable at a dealership right now.
8. who the fuck even cares, if you can afford the car, you can afford the gas
9. that was your spine compressing under the sheer lateral load such gigantic tires can offer
10. that is actually a selling point? if I recall correctly, not a single car on the road has glass headlights because they make a dangerous mess when they get smashed.

once again, I am inclined to think you are lying. I don't think you understand what a Viper is all about. two different kinds of people buy Porsches and Vipers. One wants a European car that costs too much and is ugly, and the other just wants a car that spanks cars that cost over twice as much.

RotaryDrifter
06-07-2006, 03:08 PM
IMO

srt-10's are the only waste of money in the srt series.
all the other ones (srt4 caliber and the neon, srt8...jeep, 300c, magnum) should be given some credit ;)

Stephen81
06-07-2006, 03:10 PM
:rofl:

9. that was your spine compressing under the sheer lateral load such gigantic tires can offer

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by RotaryDrifter
IMO

srt-10's are the only waste of money in the srt series.
all the other ones (srt4 caliber and the neon, srt8...jeep, 300c, magnum) should be given some credit ;)

I agree - if you are OK with the fit and finish, the SRT-8 stuff is quite good for bang for your buck performance. They get decent reviews too.

Mark

QuasarCav
06-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by b_t
well, in my opinion...

1. all factory stereos suck ass, so no big deal
2. people who are 8 feet tall do not even fit in the car, and the clutch is not that bad
3. short shifters are for ricers. the shifter still feels perfect, its very sharp.
4. I don't know what hudge is, I think you mean huge. they ARE huge, and damn right they are, because they need to be easy to see, it is too easy to cruise at 190km/h in that car
5. ahahaaha but when all is said and done, that RX-7 will still have a rotary and 300lb-ft less torque then the Viper does.. the F40 has a twin turbo V8 and only makes a lowsy 450hp, that car must suck!
6. yeah, so?
7. it reminds you that the car is an impractical race car for the street.. the only tube chassis car avaliable at a dealership right now.
8. who the fuck even cares, if you can afford the car, you can afford the gas
10. that is actually a selling point? if I recall correctly, not a single car on the road has glass headlights because they make a dangerous mess when they get smashed.

once again, I am inclined to think you are lying. I don't think you understand what a Viper is all about. two different kinds of people buy Porsches and Vipers. One wants a European car that costs too much and is ugly, and the other just wants a car that spanks cars that cost over twice as much.

I have glass headlights.

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Ok so i am not going to argue between Import and Domestic that has been done tooo many times.

So if we are going to talk domestics......i have seen a 2006 corvette Z06 with a price tag of $96,000 smoke the 06 viper SRT ($126,000) by 2.5 seconds in lap time on the track.

Corvette better handling......Lover Chasis & much lighter

So in my opinion i see nothing appealing about the viper especially when a cheaper car.....(Stock) will blow it away

All i am saying is the viper SRT-10 is an Awesome Car for a price of $70,000

It is in no way built like a Porshe 911, or an SL55 AMG or a Lotus or even a Z06 Corvette.

benyl
06-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Glass headlight are the bomb!

I mean, they chip easy, get holes and leak water! What more could anyone want... oh and they cost more to replace than plastic ones.

/sarcasm

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 03:16 PM
It is in no way built like a Porshe 911, or an SL55 AMG or a Lotus or even a Z06 Corvette.

:werd:

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 03:18 PM
As for the Glass head lights...that was said due to the fact

that all porshes, bmw's, Jag's, Lambo's, Ferrari's, Bugatti's and sooooo on
have glass head lights.........

To say they are crap... you can tell the owner of a Lambo when you see them drive by

Tik-Tok
06-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1

Well lets say that for 125,000 dollars you could buy a 98,000 Porshe then use the 20,000 dollars to throw in a supercharger and other feul modifications and inturn you will have a viper eater with a much better feal and quality.

You can say this about ANY car... I could buy a 1978 fawking Pinto for $300, and put $124,700 into it and make it fly to the fawking moon... so what?

It's the exterior style, and good old fashioned North American raw muscle HP people are buying.

To each their own.

CrvenaZvezda
06-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by b_t
One wants a European car that costs too much and is ugly

:rofl: Seriously???

Europeans cars are ugly, are you fuckin kiddin me, yeah maybe the Viper has more fuckin torque than most of the Eu-Spec and J-Spec cars out there, but there is no way in fuckin hell a Viper looks better than a Eu-Spec or J-Spec exotic. Can you really compare the looks of a Viper to a Ferrari F430 or a Honda NSX.

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Getting only 500hp at the Crank of a 8L V10 is not Raw Horsepower that is Shitty Engineering......

I can picture a bunch of Dodge engineers sitting around a table discussing how to make the next viper faster. And some retard in the back of the room saying " Can't we just make the engine bigger" and all the others praising engineering capabilities......

Raw horse power my asss.

Raw horse power with engineering would be a B18C6/7 1.8L JDM DOHC VTEC pushing out 200hp.

Not a 8L 10V Engine pushing out 500hp any 10 year old can realize that bigger engine means more horsepower......

Like i have said before "the only substitute for cubic inches is technology"

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda

Europeans cars are ugly, are you fuckin kiddin me, yeah maybe the Viper has more fuckin torque than most of the Eu-Spec and J-Spec cars out there, but there is no way in fuckin hell a Viper looks better than a Eu-Spec or J-Spec exotic. Can you really compare the looks of a Viper to a Ferrari F430 or a Honda NSX.

I'll just add that I bet a 98,000 "ugly" porsche costs 2 or 3 times as much to actually build than the viper. That would be enough info for most people to not even consider it unless they don't care about what their getting for their money. That being said, I'm sure some people will buy it just because other people will know how much they paid for it.

Mark

b_t
06-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda

the fact the Viper can even draw a comparison to the F430 just goes to show that Dodge did their job with it... make a cheap car that competes in a price bracket a few hundred grand above what the car actually sells for. I like the in-your-face style of the Viper coupe, and the F430 is nice, but in the long line of the cheaper Ferraris the F430 is the ugliest one so far.

J-spec exotic? No such thing, and the few that do exist aren't that good looking (R390 and GT-ONE road cars, they look wrong without their spoilers).

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Getting only 500hp at the Crank of a 8L V10 is not Raw Horsepower that is Shitty Engineering......

I can picture a bunch of Dodge engineers sitting around a table discussing how to make the next viper faster. And some retard in the back of the room saying " Can't we just make the engine bigger" and all the others praising engineering capabilities......

Raw horse power my asss.

Raw horse power with engineering would be a B18C6/7 1.8L JDM DOHC VTEC pushing out 200hp.

Not a 8L 10V Engine pushing out 500hp any 10 year old can realize that bigger engine means more horsepower......

Thats only funny because of how much I agree with that, and how much that sounds like me talking - I find myself explaining that to people constantly. IMO, you are 100% correct!

Mark

C4S
06-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Well .. the new Viper is much better then the old one already ..

however, that is why they are so cheap .. ( vs other simliar performance car, such as 911 Turbo, $200K, F360, $270K, Z8, $200K ... etc .. )

So... and that is why, $30,000 discount now! :eek: :eek:

b_t
06-07-2006, 03:31 PM

Raw horse power my asss.

Actually, technology just amplifies the cubic inches. Did you ever see the Viper with a 101mm turbo...? On 10psi and pump gas, it made just over 1,000whp. I have never seen even a Supra do that. A 2 liter boosting 11psi might make 300whp with a big turbo. A local guy boosting 11psi on a 302 mustang made.. I dunno I think 570ish whp was his last number.

"Raw horsepower" is overrated, because 200 raw engineered horsepower is still a lot slower then 300 horsepower extracted from a motor by sheer brute force. Also, I find it odd a Supra owner of all people is talking about Honda motors to make his analogies. Do you forget you have a 2JZ-GTE?

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I too have driven a 2004 SRT-10....it's fucking ffffffffffaaaaasssst!!!! If you want a dash molester buy a Porsche or Ferrari. The owner of the viper wanted a Lamborghini but passed when he factored in maintenance. His car now has a paxton supercharger making 609rwhp UNTUNED. Tuned should be closer to 650ish. The paxton kit was put on by one of the mechanics at big 4 (dodge dealership).

I don’t care what any one says – there’s nothing like raw power and sure it may not be the nicest looking but who gives a shit when you blow by a liter bike doing upwards of 180+ - oh and the comment about the corvette being faster for cheaper…they had 2 years to develop it and of course they wanted to be the biggest, baddest kid on the block. As soon as they (dodge) needs to redesign it, it again will have more power then the corvette.

Oh and I have a video here of it on the dyno (no actual screen shot of the power) but don’t have a way to host it – if someone wants to host it I will send it to them. Once it goes for tuning I am going to be there taking proper video.

Cheers

Tik-Tok
06-07-2006, 03:33 PM

No, that would be finely tuned engineering.

Learn some fawking english.

Definitions of Raw...
-Being in a natural condition; not processed or refined
- Not having been subjected to adjustment, treatment, or analysis
-Untrained and inexperienced

If they actually put some effort into that v-10 and made it finely tuned, it would put out well over 1000 Hp, just look at the Hennesey Venom.

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
I too have driven a 2004 SRT-10....it's fucking ffffffffffaaaaasssst!!!! If you want a dash molester buy a Porsche or Ferrari. The owner of the viper wanted a Lamborghini but passed when he factored in maintenance. His car now has a paxton supercharger making 609rwhp UNTUNED. Tuned should be closer to 650ish. The paxton kit was put on by one of the mechanics at big 4 (dodge dealership).

I don’t care what any one says – there’s nothing like raw power and sure it may not be the nicest looking but who gives a shit when you blow by a liter bike doing upwards of 180+ - oh and the comment about the corvette being faster for cheaper…they had 2 years to develop it and of course they wanted to be the biggest, baddest kid on the block. As soon as they (dodge) needs to redesign it, it again will have more power then the corvette.

Oh and I have a video here of it on the dyno (no actual screen shot of the power) but don’t have a way to host it – if someone wants to host it I will send it to them. Once it goes for tuning I am going to be there taking proper video.

Cheers

Just in regards to your comment about the 1000cc sport bikes, the viper may have a slightly higher top speed (like 10mph) but the sport bike will get there 2 or 3 times as fast, with a 0-60 time half that of the viper's and the ability to do 160km/h in 1st gear, and then when they are both up to speed, the car will go slightly ahead when the bike hits its slightly less top speed. F1 cars and ridiculously modified street cars are about the only things that can keep up to anything like a liter bike in a straight line.

Mark

GTS Jeff
Originally posted by b_t
if I recall correctly, not a single car on the road has glass headlights because they make a dangerous mess when they get smashed.

I think that comment alone discredits the rest of your post.

T78Supra1
"paxton supercharger making 609rwhp UNTUNED"

Is his Car Black with the licence plate SSSSS.......My supra was at RCTS being tunned at the same time

My Supra did 595 at the wheels his did 533.

So if that his him stop blowing numbers out your asss....if you Don't believe me i can get his dyno sheet and post it tomorrow

CrvenaZvezda
06-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I'll just add that I bet a 98,000 "ugly" porsche costs 2 or 3 times as much to actually build than the viper. That would be enough info for most people to not even consider it unless they don't care about what their getting for their money. That being said, I'm sure some people will buy it just because other people will know how much they paid for it.

Mark

Ok lets stop using the fuckin porsche as an example, even i admit its a peice of shit lol. but i mean viper is dodge's car, fuck could they not put some more detail and heart into it, wow its sooo easy to take a cd player out of a neon and put into a 128,000 dollar sports car. if they put more heart and detail into it, i would respect the car aswell, i never liked the corvette til' i saw the 06' zo6. and i dont care how much money u have i dont think anyone would want to fill up eg. 80bux of premium everyday lol.

b_t
06-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

I think that comment alone discredits the rest of your post.

gee, so glass doesn't make dangerous pieces when you smash it? even safety glass cuts the shit out of everything. your headlights are only glass because there is no headlight housing, just a big ugly bulb.

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Just in regards to your comment about the 1000cc sport bikes, the viper may have a slightly higher top speed (like 10mph) but the sport bike will get there 2 or 3 times as fast, with a 0-60 time half that of the viper's and the ability to do 160km/h in 1st gear, and then when they are both up to speed, the car will go slightly ahead when the bike hits its slightly less top speed. F1 cars and ridiculously modified street cars are about the only things that can keep up to anything like a liter bike.

Mark

yes I most definitly undestand that fact but he doesn't even get revved on now by bikes...they just stand there and go "nice car"...he did get absolutely smoked before he put the blower on it by a 1000cc (whatever model) yamaha.

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
"paxton supercharger making 609rwhp UNTUNED"

Is his Car Black with the licence plate SSSSS.......My supra was at RCTS being tunned at the same time

My Supra did 595 at the wheels his did 533.

So if that his him stop blowing numbers out your asss....if you Don't believe me i can get his dyno sheet and post it tomorrow

Would that 533 be the base line dyno that they used before they put the blower on or after? And yes Chris's car is fast - I've driven it, I've ridden in it. It's fast - If that's what it really is (533 at the wheels with the blower) then I'll smack him around for lying to me.

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM

yes I most definitly undestand that fact but he doesn't even get revved on now by bikes...they just stand there and go "nice car"...he did get absolutely smoked before he put the blower on it by a 1000cc (whatever model) yamaha.

How do people know he has a supercharger on it and decide not to race him? Not saying the car is slow, I'm just saying even with that supercharger he won't beat a 1000cc+ bike in a straight line until both have hit top speed, and that will not happen on Calgary's streets. If you want nothing but performance, all you need to do is spend $13,000 or so lol.

Oh, and the 1000cc yamaha is the R1, its a pretty cool bike, can do 160km/h in first gear - don't know if i'd have the balls to try that for a while.

Mark

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 03:43 PM

How do people know he has a supercharger on it and decide not to race him? Not saying the car is slow, I'm just saying even with that supercharger he won't beat a 1000cc+ bike in a straight line until both have hit top speed, and that will not happen on Calgary's streets.

Oh, and the 1000cc yamaha is the R1, its a pretty cool bike, can do 160km/h in first gear - don't know if i'd have the balls to try that for a while.

Mark

IT's really simple to tell by the huge whine coming from under the engine bay.

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 03:45 PM

IT's really simple to tell by the huge whine coming from under the engine bay.

Fair enough, I was just curious. Does it whine at idle or just when he gets on the gas? Most supercharged cars ive been in only whine when you get on the gas, but they certainly weren't vipers.

Mark

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
You can most definitly hear it at idle and it fucking sceams once he get's on it. He has a borla side exit exhaust on it. Downtown it can probably be heard 3 blocks away.

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
I will just have to say.....

If you are into American Technology and American Style of Car then Yes The viper is your dream car.......

All i am saying, for being the best of Dodge they should have taken more time on the car not just the engine......Inside it feels cheap... The Corvette at least feels better...it also has a G Meter :thumbsup:

As for all the Import drivers out there stay clear of the Viper it is Everything that is Wrong with american Cars Amplified 100x.

As for the Viper Dyno that was with the blower....Even Reg was disapointed with the car we were all expecting huge numbers.

Someone who buys a viper....only wants the Attention it Gets...And trust me even old women look at you when you drive buy.

Some one who wants a cleaner, well built car would buy a Porshe. That may not beat the Viper in a Quarter mile run....however will destroy it in lap times.

GTS Jeff
06-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by b_t
your headlights are only glass because there is no headlight housing, just a big ugly bulb. Uhh wtf are you talking about? :dunno:

Last I checked, I had headlight housings, which are the best on the market, and yes, they are made of tempered glass. :dunno:

heavyD
06-07-2006, 03:55 PM

Raw horse power my asss.

I'm not going to comment other than you probably won't like the Ford GT either after sitting in it. Your posts reak of JDM fanboyism so I'm not even going to argue with you. The fact of the matter is that you missed the entire point of the Viper. It is raw and was never made to be a daily driver hence the low cost of entry compared to other cars that have equivalent capability.

And calling a B18 engine 200 raw HP with engineering.LOL I call it; Lots of shifting to keep up to people with torque.

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I will just have to say.....

If you are into American Technology and American Style of Car then Yes The viper is your dream car.......

All i am saying, for being the best of Dodge they should have taken more time on the car not just the engine......Inside it feels cheap... The Corvette at least feels better...it also has a G Meter :thumbsup:

As for all the Import drivers out there stay clear of the Viper it is Everything that is Wrong with american Cars Amplified 100x.

As for the Viper Dyno that was with the blower....Even Reg was disapointed with the car we were all expecting huge numbers.

Someone who buys a viper....only wants the Attention it Gets...And trust me even old women look at you when you drive buy.

Some one who wants a cleaner, well built car would buy a Porshe. That may not beat the Viper in a Quarter mile run....however will destroy it in lap times.

Now I have to go smack him for lying to me - 609 my ass. It does get a hell of a lot attention - he called me last week telling me a bunch of girls chased him down on McKnight and started the whole "woo how"..."I like you car"...he told me he got flashed boobies by these girls too - he's probably lying about that as well. Oh well he drives a viper and I drive a spec V... :(

h22aseller
06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
When a Viper gets to 60mph in 2.5 seconds, THEN AND ONLY THEN will i concede it is as fast as a bike. It doesn't matter how you cut it, a 3000 pound car with even 700hp does not have as good a power to weight ratio that a 600lb bike with 180hp has.

And yes, the R1 does have 180hp. I am not sure how much goes to the rear wheel, but even assuming a 15% loss, that is at least 150hp.

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I'm not going to comment other than you probably won't like the Ford GT either after sitting in it. Your posts reak of JDM fanboyism so I'm not even going to argue with you. The fact of the matter is that you missed the entire point of the Viper. It is raw and was never made to be a daily driver hence the low cost of entry compared to other cars that have equivalent capability.

And calling a B18 engine 200 raw HP with engineering.LOL I call it; Lots of shifting to keep up to people with torque.

However the Lotus Elise is even more simple inside. The plastic is mixed with a silicon base that way over time of hardsore cornering and body tension the interior won't crack and make allot of noise.....The Viper it think uses the same plastic thats in the Neon
Detail thats all...the viper needs detail.

b_t
06-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Uhh wtf are you talking about? :dunno:

Last I checked, I had headlight housings, which are the best on the market, and yes, they are made of tempered glass. :dunno:

Sorry, I don't know my 20 year old japanese economy cars very well. I also don't care about glass or plastic headlights, either, so you can have this small victory if you want it.

However the Lotus Elise is even more simple inside. The plastic is mixed with a silicon base that way over time of hardsore cornering and body tension the interior won't crack and make allot of noise.....The Viper it think uses the same plastic thats in the Neon

but if they didn't do that, the Elise would cost even less and be even more of a bargain.

l8braker
06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Yea, and guess what? Everything you named off doesn't even cross the mind of a Viper owner. Pretty much all Exotic owners could care less about build quality, gas milage, etc.

Interesting write up none-the-less. :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Your right the entry cost is a little lower, and its not all garbage, but it is $50,000 over priced. Where a $240,000 ferrari is worth it and probably costs close to that to build, a $125,000 viper is over priced and costs probably $20,000-$30,000 max. to actually build at the factory. In some ways it competes with the exotics, but in my opinion its just not even close to $125,000 worth of car. Additionally, the price remained high when the corvette came out and out performed it in every category handily for $30,000 + cheaper, with more day-to-day driveability and luxury to boot.

Mark

heavyD
06-07-2006, 04:06 PM

The Elise isn't exactly cheap for a small car with a Toyota Celica engine so for over $50K I would expect a decent interior.

If you want detail get a Mercedes or Bimmer. Real sports cars have only the bare necessities.

Tik-Tok
06-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by h22aseller
When a Viper gets to 60mph in 2.5 seconds, THEN AND ONLY THEN will i concede it is as fast as a bike. I

Hennessey Viper SRT10 Venom 1000 Twin Turbo

0-60 ~ 2.25 seconds.

But dear god, I don't even want to know how much that one costs.

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Your right the entry cost is a little lower, and its not all garbage, but it is $50,000 over priced. Where a $240,000 ferrari is worth it and probably costs close to that to build, a $125,000 viper is over priced and costs probably $20,000-$30,000 max. to actually build at the factory. In some ways it competes with the exotics, but in my opinion its just not even close to $125,000 worth of car.

Mark

You can't honesty say that it really costs 240,000 to build any fucking car. Take a look at replacement costs of items that all cars have. You mean to tell me that the sheet metal used to build the skin is any better then the sheet metal in my crappy sentra? The paint, primer and clear is better but the actual raw materials to make said car - give me a break.

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

0-60 ~ 2.25 seconds.

I read about that car in a couple magazines, and they couldn't get it to hit 60 much faster than 3.5ish seconds because it has no traction because of all the HP. Once it connects though i'd imagine it is fairly ridiculous.

Also, a Hayabusa can do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds stock. Yet another thing I wouldn't want to test lol.

Mark

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 04:11 PM

You can't honesty say that it really costs 240,000 to build any fucking car. Take a look at replacement costs of items that all cars have. You mean to tell me that the sheet metal used to build the skin is any better then the sheet metal in my crappy sentra? The paint, primer and clear is better but the actual raw materials to make said car - give me a break.

With the parts they use and amount of carbon fibre, F1 style transmissions, etc. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it cost $200,000 to build a $250,000 ferrari. Even if it is not that much, the point is your not getting much for your money in a viper compared to other cars.

Mark

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by h22aseller
When a Viper gets to 60mph in 2.5 seconds, THEN AND ONLY THEN will i concede it is as fast as a bike. It doesn't matter how you cut it, a 3000 pound car with even 700hp does not have as good a power to weight ratio that a 600lb bike with 180hp has.

And yes, the R1 does have 180hp. I am not sure how much goes to the rear wheel, but even assuming a 15% loss, that is at least 150hp.

Your pretty much exactly right according to my readings, about 15X RWHP on the R1.

Mark

Tik-Tok
06-07-2006, 04:14 PM

Also, a Hayabusa can do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds stock. Yet another thing I wouldn't want to test lol.

Mark

My friend has one, that thing is f'in insane, and so is he.

T78Supra1
Viper owners are the same as hummer owners....
They are someone who wants a car that stands out....doesn't give a crap about performance, build quality, Gas mileage.....

All they see is Big Rims and they like......
Here's a clip you viper lovers might like hahahaa
It may be fast but can't corner worth shitt even with big tires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzMaCoq2_4&search=viper%20vs

Ford

it's not sheet metal, it's fibreglass and aluminum tube frame. I'm sure your sentra doesnt have that...

benyl
06-07-2006, 04:15 PM

0-60 ~ 2.25 seconds.

About $225K

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Ford

it's not sheet metal, it's fibreglass and aluminum tube frame. I'm sure your sentra doesnt have that...

Thanks for the knowledge man - I'm sure that the carpet or any other raw material should be twice as expensive. Really this is the same argument used on home building - do you really think that the house you built for 300,000 is actually made up of 300,000 worth of raw material? No, you paid that much for labour, engineering and finally - markup.

Tik-Tok
06-07-2006, 04:21 PM

They are someone who wants a car that stands out....doesn't give a crap about performance, build quality, Gas mileage.....

You're saying 500hp, although not nearly what can be pulled out of a v-10, isn't performance?

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes since.......

A 2006 BMW M5 5L ENGINE V-10 can push out 500hp as well with 3 less liters

Thats Engineering

benyl
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Viper owners are the same as hummer owners....

You sig says you own an STi.

How is that any different from owning a Hummer or a Viper?

The interior of an STi is CHEAP. Everything rattles and squeeks. The radio is the same POS you get in the base model. The speakers blow out if you get an aftermarket stereo. The rear struts fail on a regular basis. The paint is cheap. It uses a ton of gas. The headlights are plastic...

haha, you could do this about any car really.

benyl
06-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Yes since.......

Thats Engineering

Two differences. One is overhead cam. One has WAY less torque.

bspot
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM

Mark

So a $100K porsche costs 2 to 3 times as much to build as a viper? Sell your Porsche stocks people! They will be out of business soon giving away cars like they are :rolleyes:

T78Supra1
The STI was only 45,000 not 100,000+
its the fastest car in canada Sold in its class.

Won 2006 most fun car to drive by Car and Driver.

It's All Wheen Drive....the only other all wheel drive with that horsepower is a 2006 S4 and those are priced at 70,000. So for the money there is really nothing comparable.......

Find me another car brand new that has allwheel drive, Racaro Seats, Differencial slip, BBS Wheels, Rally Proven, 300hp, Turbo, Liquid Cooled Intercooler for 45,000 dollars....

bspot
Originally posted by benyl

Two differences. One is overhead cam. One has WAY less torque.

No dumbass. One's American so it therefor sucks and involves no technology ;)

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 04:33 PM

It's All Wheen Drive....the only other all wheel drive with that horsepower is a 2006 S4 and those are priced at 70,000. So for the money there is really nothing comparable.......

Find me another car brand new that has allwheel drive, Racaro Seats, Differencial slip, Rally Proven, 300hp, Turbo, Liquid Cooled Intercooler for 45,000 dollars....

it was called an evo - and it's faster then the STI - it's only too bad that we couldn't get it here.

Tik-Tok
06-07-2006, 04:33 PM
So for the money there is really nothing comparable.......

2005 Ferrari Superamerica $543/HP
2005 Ferrari F430 $406/HP
2005 Ferrari 612 $481/HP

2005 Porsche Carrera GT $727/HP
2006 Porsche 911 Carrera S $230/HP
2006 Porsche Cayman $200/HP

2006 Lamborghini Gallardo $336/HP
2006 Lamborghini Murcelago $552/HP

2006 Dodge Viper $160/HP

Once again, YOU ARE BUYING HP.

(prices in US$)

bspot
06-07-2006, 04:34 PM

Find me another car brand new that has allwheel drive, Racaro Seats, Differencial slip, Rally Proven, 300hp, Turbo, Liquid Cooled Intercooler for 45,000 dollars....

Find me something that can do what the Z06 does for the price.

Find me something that can do what the SRT-4 can for the price.

Hell, the Ion redline has standard recaros, find me something that has that!

Find me a RWD coupe that can compete with a mustang for the price.

Find me an exotic that can compete with a Viper for the price.

Your making everyone elses point for them... thanks.

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
The Evo is only .5 seconds faster and if i have to reminde you no matter what you do it still looks like a lancer.........

Evo is a great car but i would never trade a Subaru for a Mitsubishi

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 04:36 PM
The Evo is only .5 seconds faster and if i have to reminde you no matter what you do it still looks like a lancer.........

Evo is a great car but i would never trade a Subaru for a Mitsubishi

And the STI still only looks like a 2.5i impreza. With a spoiler and hood scoop.

T-Dubbs
06-07-2006, 04:38 PM
STI is overrated, why not mod a stock wrx and save some cash?

oh maybe because that "functional" rear spoiler looks cool:rolleyes:

benyl
06-07-2006, 04:43 PM

Find me another car brand new that has allwheel drive, Racaro Seats, Differencial slip, BBS Wheels, Rally Proven, 300hp, Turbo, Liquid Cooled Intercooler for 45,000 dollars....

They don't have Recaro seats.
They do have a DCCD, but no other car has that.
There are plenty of rally proven cars. The Evo being one of them (although not available in Canada).
BBS wheels... meh, they aren't that great.
They do not have a liquid cooled intercooler.
Last time I checked they were $48,995.

Some cars that could fit the bill (although in different classes):

You can get an Audi A3 3.2 S-line for $45K that has 50hp less. You get Audi's awesome quatro system and a way better interior.

You can also get a Volvo S60R with 300 hp for about $60K.

You can get a Chrysler 300C AWD with 340hp for about $45K

Milk2%
06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Yes since.......

Thats Engineering

Actually thats not engineering at all really......

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/patr123/f1.jpg

8 cylinders......3 liters....800+hp.....I'd think this would be engineering at its finest. O yea redline at about 19K+ :poosie:
Toyotas F-1 engine

If these companys wanted to make a 900+hp streetlegal car....in no means they could......

T78Supra1
06-07-2006, 04:50 PM

They don't have Recaro seats.
They do have a DCCD, but no other car has that.
There are plenty of rally proven cars. The Evo being one of them (although not available in Canada).
BBS wheels... meh, they aren't that great.
They do not have a liquid cooled intercooler.
Last time I checked they were $48,995.

Some cars that could fit the bill (although in different classes):

You can get an Audi A3 3.2 S-line for $45K that has 50hp less. You get Audi's awesome quatro system and a way better interior.

You can also get a Volvo S60R with 300 hp for about $60K.

You can get a Chrysler 300C AWD with 340hp for about $45K

First of all this thread is not about an STI

The only reason i own an STI is because my wife wanted a rally car that was fast, So we got an STI......Yes for all you evo lovers.....You can say that the evo kicks an STI's Ass hovever any magazine will prove they are like twin sisters....and you can't get one here. So why we are even talking about an evo is stupid

You might as well be talking about a Syline R34...... a Ford WRC ...or a 206 WRC.

bspot
06-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
STI is overrated, why not mod a stock wrx and save some cash?

Because sometimes you have to go around corners ;)

Ntense_SpecV
06-07-2006, 04:56 PM

First of all this thread is not about an STI

The only reason i own an STI is because my wife wanted a rally car that was fast, So we got an STI......Yes for all you evo lovers.....You can say that the evo kicks an STI's Ass hovever any magazine will prove they are like twin sisters....and you can't get one here. So why we are even talking about an evo is stupid

You might as well be talking about a Syline R34...... a Ford WRC ...or a 206 WRC.

You wanted examples of something equal in price and performance of your STI....I gave you one. If you don't like it - meh - anyways back on topic of the viper....they sure are fast.

Hakkola
06-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Milk2%

Actually thats not engineering at all really......

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/patr123/f1.jpg

8 cylinders......3 liters....800+hp.....I'd think this would be engineering at its finest. O yea redline at about 19K+ :poosie:
Toyotas F-1 engine

If these companys wanted to make a 900+hp streetlegal car....in no means they could......

These are very high strung motors, correct me if I'm wrong but don't they only use them for 1 race and qualifying. They are pretty impressive considering how many laps they do and the horsepower involved, but when you do that they aren't very reliable.

glennc
06-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Stock type-r engine puts out about 200 HP with a 1.8 L engine.

1.8 x 4.44444 = 8

200 x 4.44444 = 888.88

According to dodges "amazing enginerring" that engine, if it were to hold par with hondas size/power ratio should put out 888 HP. 510 HP, thats bassicaly a honda d-series ratio. If you make a honda d-series 8L it will do 510 HP too.

Glass headlights are a PITA. Especially on a higher end car, dodge was smart to go with plastic. Far superior in "design" then glass, but far less "class".

And figuring that they cant get the "design" part right, maybe they should just go for class.

glennc
06-07-2006, 05:15 PM
http://www.midway.com/images/Viper.jpg

Comon now, look at the choppy lines and poor quality. Dodge cant even make a smooth body.

http://makkin.cocolog-nifty.com/log/200409/s2000-01.jpg
Heres the score. Honda +1

Hakkola
06-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I almost forgot to add that I hate the Viper, impressive speed, and I understand what it's all about, but I'd expect a nicer interior at that price, like was stated earlier, a Viper isn't much more impressive than a Z06, yet the Z06 is a hell of a lot cheaper.

When you're paying $125 00 for a vehicle would another $10 000 change your mind? They should have put some more work into the car even if it meant making it a little more expensive.

Porsche and Ferrari make bare bone models without even radio available, but they don't have such shitty interiors.

You can have raw power AND good fit and finish.

benyl
06-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by glennc
Stock type-r engine puts out about 200 HP with a 1.8 L engine.

1.8 x 4.44444 = 8

200 x 4.44444 = 888.88

According to dodges "amazing enginerring" that engine, if it were to hold par with hondas size/power ratio should put out 888 HP. 510 HP, thats bassicaly a honda d-series ratio. If you make a honda d-series 8L it will do 510 HP too.

A d series would have 300 lb/ft.

95EagleAWD
06-07-2006, 05:22 PM
You can't compare a Ferrari to a Viper.

Completely different class of cars. I'd never say "Nice F430, but that Viper will rock you." I'd never even look at the Viper.

CalgarySupra
06-07-2006, 05:26 PM
a chrysler chooses not use resonable quality even on higher end cars. viper/neon or any other chrysler share a lot in common. one would think naturally they would make things a little better. the viper looks better and probably is more reliable in a video game.

Lex350
06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by b_t
well, in my opinion...

3. short shifters are for ricers. .

that's one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum.

Tik-Tok
06-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
... a Viper isn't much more impressive than a Z06, yet the Z06 is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Dodge lovers will buy Viper
GMC lovers will buy Corvette
Ford lovers will buy GT

Unless you're rich enough to own more than one of these, its generally how it works.

Hakkola
06-07-2006, 05:32 PM

A d series would have 300 lb/ft.

:rofl: :rofl:

As much as I hate the Viper, these honda comparisons are rediculous.

b_t
06-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

that's one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum.

I could show you a video of a Skyline racing at Tsukaba where they intentionally made the shifter about two feet long.

Akagi
06-07-2006, 05:36 PM

You can say this about ANY car... I could buy a 1978 fawking Pinto for $300, and put $124,700 into it and make it fly to the fawking moon... so what?

It's the exterior style, and good old fashioned North American raw muscle HP people are buying.

To each their own.

BAHHAHAH BEST POST EVER!!!! :burnout:

h22aseller
06-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by b_t

I could show you a video of a Skyline racing at Tsukaba where they intentionally made the shifter about two feet long.

yes, they make the shifter long so that it is postioned closer to the steering wheel to reduce the distance the hand has to travel to shift the car. However they most likely also changed the linkages to the tranny so that the shifter throw is no more than 4 inches TOPS. The distance your hand has to move the shifter has a relatively large impact on your ability to make a quick shift. Furthermore it is way easier to find a gear when you have a much smaller distance to move your arm.

Regardless of all this shit, the viper is faster than pretty much anything on the road. There are cars that are faster and many that are slower. I don't care what you say, there is NO DENYING the fact that the viper will kick most car's asses all the way to sunday.

Yes, it may have a tube chassis, who the fuck cares? does that fact alone make the car any better, no, it handles well, but not like a Lotus does. OOOOHHHHHH it has a fiberglass body, so did the mid eighties vettes. Yes the hyper-exotics cost more and may or may not perform any better. However, they have a refined class that the viper doesn't. sure, a penny hooker can probly give a killer bj, but pay a little more and you might get one that has all her teeth.

There is more to a car than the raw numbers it puts out or it's specific output. I drive a honda, i like it, but a 4cyl engine is fundamentally different from a V-10. The 10cyl has a shitload more rotating mass. It is also probly not as close to it's performance barrier either. You can make any engine produce huge amounts of power, but you also gotta look at the cost/benefit ratio. to get 500hp out of a b-series it'll cost you probly 10 000. (done properly with the footwork to support it). The viper probly should make more power out of the box, but honda or any japanese manufacturer for that matter hasn't really done anything even similar to the viper, stop making those comparisons, they embarass honda owners everywhere.

Finally, the viper would not be my first choice in that price range simply because i don't like the look of it, the fuel milage is terrible, and i don't like that simply because i think it's a waste. I could be totally happy in an NSX that costs roughly the same and doesn't perform nearly as well. At least I know that at the end of the day my foot won't be roasted from engine heat, I will have a better stereo than the punk in the neon next to me, the seats will fit my ass and when i go around corners it'll sound like a 140 000 dollar car. but, to each his own.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-07-2006, 07:24 PM

You can say this about ANY car... I could buy a 1978 fawking Pinto for $300, and put $124,700 into it and make it fly to the fawking moon.

Shhh! Don't give away the secret of the ultimate car! :rofl:

Akagi
06-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Haha, that would be one for the books!! hit up super street in a ford pinto... only problem is due to where they place the gas tank! If you lose control and hit something going 150 miles an hour it will be like an araqi missile!!!

kaput
06-07-2006, 07:40 PM
What the fuck is an araqi missile??

iceburns288
06-07-2006, 07:41 PM

A Viper makes more like 545-550hp, if you're interested, and you can get some 'dealer options' that easily put the car over 600hp as bolt-ons.
And, at the end of the day, your fancy Vtak Civic makes 200hp and the Viper still makes 550... with nearly 3 times the power, I don't care where the fuck it's coming from!
And, may I mention, that while the Honda has 140lb-ft, the Viper has 570lb-ft of torque. More than FOUR times the torque.
Like someone said, the Honda comparisons make NO sense.

The Viper is a great car. I love how you dislike the interior (which is pretty much your only complaint about the car) when the Viper has been known to be just a brutal road car. It's not for someone who wants all that nice Italian leather and switchgear that just feels good to touch. Vipers are GREAT at what they do- go fast. Sure, they suck on the road. But I can think of so many other cars that you would love that suck on the road. Integra Type-R, Lotus Elise (especially the Exige), Corvette.

Akagi
06-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Iraq missile! I meant

frostyda9
06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

It's not for someone who wants all that nice Italian leather and switchgear that just feels good to touch. Vipers are GREAT at what they do- go fast.

And there it is. As for the stock radio, who gives a shit? You'll never be able to hear it with all the engine noise and squealing tires anyway ;) As always happens, people compare cars that have different intended purposes.

How about we hook up both the Viper and a Porsche of the same price level up to a tree each, and see which one is better at pulling trees out of the ground? :poosie:

I love how the people here knock the Viper for "only" 500ish ponies, when in reality some of them would probably shiz their pants if they went for a ride in one. :rolleyes:

BerserkerCatSplat
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9

I love how the people here knock the Viper for "only" 500ish ponies, when in reality some of them would probably shiz their pants if they went for a ride in one. :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet that 90% of people on this site have never even sat in a car with more than 500 HP, let alone driven them.

95EagleAWD
06-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I'm willing to bet that 90% of people on this site have never even sat in a car with more than 500 HP, let alone driven them.

I'm willing to bet that you're right.

I'm also willing to bet that the Viper would crush 99% of the cars on this site in the apparent all-holy 1/4 mile.

90s_tuner
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

A Viper makes more like 545-550hp, if you're interested, and you can get some 'dealer options' that easily put the car over 600hp as bolt-ons.
And, at the end of the day, your fancy Vtak Civic makes 200hp and the Viper still makes 550... with nearly 3 times the power, I don't care where the fuck it's coming from!
And, may I mention, that while the Honda has 140lb-ft, the Viper has 570lb-ft of torque. More than FOUR times the torque.
Like someone said, the Honda comparisons make NO sense.

The Viper is a great car. I love how you dislike the interior (which is pretty much your only complaint about the car) when the Viper has been known to be just a brutal road car. It's not for someone who wants all that nice Italian leather and switchgear that just feels good to touch. Vipers are GREAT at what they do- go fast. Sure, they suck on the road. But I can think of so many other cars that you would love that suck on the road. Integra Type-R, Lotus Elise (especially the Exige), Corvette.

This dude is 16 and makes more sense than you!

Ekliptix
06-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm not a huge viper fan but T78Supra1 and Mitsu3000gt are cracking me up. :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
06-08-2006, 12:10 AM
[i]Find me something that can do what the Z06 does for the price.]

Nobodies argueing that, we agree- its the viper which is the topic of the thread.

[i]Find me something that can do what the SRT-4 can for the price.]

I could go on all day, all you ask for is something so take any $15,000 used car and throw 10 grand into it, and you would likely kill a stock srt-4. Hell, there is even a guy on the audi forums that has a dode sprint that can hang with Sti's with stock turbo/motor, just upping the boost i think is all he did lol, the video is halirous. The point is, unless your talking brand new and strictly straight line accel, the srt-4 is easy to beat. If you are, then your absolutely right the srt-4 probably is the car for that. If thats all you care about, then great!

[i]Hell, the Ion redline has standard recaros, find me something that has that!]

The Audi RS4 has stock recaros, as does the EVO VIII

[i]Find me a RWD coupe that can compete with a mustang for the price.]

Well lets see, couple year old trans am, used pontiac gto, and again, take anything used with some mods. The reason a mustang is so cheap is they cut so many corners developing it. It is excellent straight-line-speed value. Again, if your talking brand new and thats all you care about in a car (straight line performane) and that is your only criteria besides price, then I have nothing bad to say about it and your right again.

[i]Find me an exotic that can compete with a Viper for the price.]

The Noble M12 would own the viper around the track, and can certainly beat it 0-60, and likely the 1/4 mile too and its $80,000-$90,000.

The corvette has it beat in pretty much every category for $30,000 less.

The viper is not an exotic, and it doesn't compete with them unless your going in a straight line and dont care about ANYTHING else (except maybe looks because that is 100% personal)

MarX
06-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by bspot

Hell, the Ion redline has standard recaros, find me something that has that!

1987 Cadillac Allante
10 way electric memory Recaro seats with Italian leather covering them.
Body made in Italy then flown to the US for finishing.
Weak engine stock though(170hp,235tq 4.1L V8

Redlyne_mr2
06-08-2006, 01:32 AM
I do agree this gen viper feels very watered down compared to the previous gen car. The previous gen car felt like a race car that had been built seperate from the DC plants. The new Viper looks like its made of plastic. It hauls ass though and is fun to drive.

Gen4Accord
06-08-2006, 02:04 AM

Acctually the buggati veyron (worlds fastest car) with two v8's both twin turboed witch if the last worlds fastest car the maclaren f1 was allready cruising at 120 mph and then the veyron took of from still the veyron would beat it to 200 mph quite impressive top speed of over 400 km's and with a pricetag of under a million american or pounds of coarse yet it costs buggati aprox 5 million to build such a car truth seen it on top gear thinking why find the video on google video its explained on there and just the windsheild washer know and light know like in all ordinarry cars is made out of some crazy material and costs over 4,000 dollars its insane i recomend watching the video of this very intresting

besides that iv only sat in a viper and reved it up a tiny bit ever since then if been only dreaming that i will ever get to drive somin that feels that amazing to sit in

everyone to there own for now id feel king just to have an h22a :dunno:

Gen4Accord
06-08-2006, 02:07 AM
oops change the know to knob oops

Primer_Drift
06-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Little late to the party..

The Viper is an overpriced muscle car, plain and simple. Those who own them (balding white guys mostly) do not care about the bad fit and finish, gas mileage, driving comfort or cheapass radio. They are driving a 8.3L V10 penis on wheels, nuff said.