PDA

View Full Version : Who can cut a key like this?

Mar
06-07-2006, 04:08 PM
I ordered a blank switchblade key blank off Ebay like so....
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/12/2c/31_1.JPG

and now I need someone to cut it to resemble my car key like so.....
http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/My-Car/Keyfob_1.sized.jpg

I tried Home Depot and the guy stared at it like it was some foreign piece of metal before he told me it was too complicated of a cut and he couldn't do it. Think T&T Honda would do it?

GQBalla
06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
your car key has a chip in it to start the engine.

so there would be no point.

lint
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
your car key has a chip in it to start the engine.

so there would be no point.

He has a compustar which should bypass the immobilizer. As long as he uses the compustar to start the engine putting the cut key into the ignition after the fact shouldn't matter.

Mar
06-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm going to do an organ transplant from my key to a modified VW key to bypass that. I just need the key cut. The problem is it can't be cut all the way through, just halfway through as you can see.

Dooms_Bane
06-07-2006, 06:19 PM
i'm guessing go to a dealship. and ask around where they get their keys cut up :)

T-rus
06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
That type of Key I believe is Laser cut like Saab Keys are.

Mar
06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm going to go to T&T to find out if they can do it in house. There must be some place in the world that can do it. what about a machine chop using that huge machine to do it? The one they use to make rims?

Sharpie
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I'm going to go to T&T to find out if they can do it in house. There must be some place in the world that can do it. what about a machine chop using that huge machine to do it? The one they use to make rims?
I am kinda confused. You just need a key cut right? Almost any honda dealer can cut you a key, but are you sure that that is the right key? Also do you have the other part of the key?

Mar
06-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

I am kinda confused. You just need a key cut right? Almost any honda dealer can cut you a key, but are you sure that that is the right key? Also do you have the other part of the key?
I'm not sure if dealerships cut their keys anymore, I think they're complicated enough now that they have to order them from some sort of external office. But hopefully they'll be able to cut them in house and step 2 is whether or not they'll cut the blade I give them.

As for the other part of the key, I don't have it yet. That blade is a replacement key for a VW switchblade key, it just swaps right in after you take the old one out. So now I need to find an old beat up VW key and swap it in once it's cut.

topmade
06-07-2006, 08:43 PM
You are probably going to have to get that ordered from the dealer ship. We ordered one and it costed like $90 and another $50 to program it.

GoChris
06-07-2006, 08:58 PM
theres a budget lock and key or something like that in the north east that is great. its just near 32nd ave and barlow

szw
06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
1. Get a file
2. ???
3. Profit!

Si_FlyGuy
06-07-2006, 09:10 PM
SouthCenter Fine Cars has a machine that'll cut that i believe. They sell the blank key fobs with keys for fairly cheap iirc.

Mar
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by szw
1. Get a file
2. ???
3. Profit!

Collect underpants too? :nut:

Thanks, keep posting places. I'm going to check those two out when I have time.

eb0i
06-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Holy crap! For a second there that looked like my set of keys!:eek:

Same car keys, amount of other keys and compustar remote....crazy.

Anyways if you need it cut you'll have to go to a Honda dealership and have them do it.

Mar
06-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by GoChris
theres a budget lock and key or something like that in the north east that is great. its just near 32nd ave and barlow
I convinced the guy there to try it. But there's a little groove on the side of the blade so the machine couldn't get a good hold on it. I need to try a blade from a different model car.

Si_FlyGuy
06-15-2006, 10:00 AM
bummer. Sounds like a lot of trouble to get a switchblade key.

?????
06-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Go to a locksmith.