PDA

View Full Version : Impound and crashed cars...what next?

2K255HP
06-09-2006, 10:30 AM
So did a quick search but didn't find anything and i'm kinda pressed for time, but mainly I was just wondering if anyone knows the procedure for crashed cars in impound that are not salvagable.

My g/f hydroplaned yesterday and accroding to the cops I talked to they said the damage is fairly bad. Anyways, they towed it to the impound and I was wondering how we go about things from here.

If we do not want to take the car, can we just go to impound and grab whatever we can out of the car and have them deal with it going to junkyards or stuff?

Or would we have to deal with that ourselves once we pay their fee?

thanks in advance to anyone with prior knowledge with this situation.

The Cosworth
06-09-2006, 01:29 PM
I dont know this for sure, but i think you need proof its your car and you can get stuff out of it, but you cant take tools in ( i know that cause all i needed was to fix a flat to get it driveable and they dont let you take those in) getting it towed gives you the best chance to deal with it although you need to pay for that, I would just call and ask the impound, but dont give them your vehical type or name, cause then they cant do anything

Primer_Drift
06-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Here is how I understand it...
If she had collision coverage at this point her insurance company 'owns' the vehicle. The will send an insurance adjuster to view the vehicle. They can either choose to repair the damage and return it to her, or write it off and pay out the assessed value of the vehicle (the vehicle then goes to auction or scrap). At that time she can choose to take the full reinbursement, or take part and 'buy' the car back at a reduced value.

If she did not have collision coverage, she is SOL. The car belongs to her, and she is responsible for towing and impound fees if she wants to get the car and contents therein out of the impound.

schurchill39
06-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
Here is how I understand it...
If she had collision coverage at this point her insurance company 'owns' the vehicle. The will send an insurance adjuster to view the vehicle. They can either choose to repair the damage and return it to her, or write it off and pay out the assessed value of the vehicle (the vehicle then goes to auction or scrap). At that time she can choose to take the full reinbursement, or take part and 'buy' the car back at a reduced value.

If she did not have collision coverage, she is SOL. The car belongs to her, and she is responsible for towing and impound fees if she wants to get the car and contents therein out of the impound.

Its different for every insurance company but with the majority of them it has nothing to do with if you have collision coverage or not.

I had a vehicle that was written off and all I had was PLPD on it. Because it was written off, insurance sent out an appraiser and I got paid the amount that my car was worth, then they took possesion of the car. I chose to buy it back for like $500 (which was deducted from the amount I got paid out). I could of just chosen to take the money then they would of disposed of it either through auction or scrap like Primer_drift said but because I bought it back I was then responsible for the storage/impound fees and all of the towing. Also some insurance companys might not even take the car after they pay you out, like I said every insurance company is different so its best to contact them.

In the mean time, while its in the impound lot you should beable to go and pick up personal belongings.

Prolifique
06-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok this is a true story and I may have gotten in luck but maybe you can as well if you play it right. I totalled a acura show car unfortunately and when I went to the impound I mentioned I forget some valuable items of mine. I got in and well it was a girl there she was kind enough and new what I was after but I took out my whole entire custom fiberglass system, speakers you name it just remember if you are ot do anything make sure to kill your alarm before anything. It's semi illegal but shit I went in and they already jacked my shit in my car before I had a chance to. So that being said the insurance had covered everything from my system to my vehicle and yea I got my audio equip back and some other things however I never got my intake which kills me It was a nice chome one which i can't find anymore.. but yea you just go in and i wasn't taking my time I was like ripping wires out and pulling things from everywhere. If you do bring tools they use to allow you to bring your car in which i got lucky I took my whole fiberglass box and put it into the taho. Anyways wish ya luck and get what you can insurance does not check over it twice once they settled your claim.. yea I should watch out there is probbaly a few in here working for the other side.. ah well as if they don't do anything fine lined.