PDA

View Full Version : Big Fish Calgary

ddmmak
06-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has been to Big Fish on Edmonton Trail. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

B17a
06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Went there when it first opened. Neat atmopshere, food was decent. That's all I can remember sorry.

blueToy
06-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ddmmak
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has been to Big Fish on Edmonton Trail. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've been once , and will never go back . The story :

Went not long after they opened , as my partner 'heard' thru friends it was new and popular . My first impression was crowded and cramped . They are jamming every square inch of space with seats .
The problem began when Wife discovered a hair in her seafood soup . She pulled it out , looked at it , made sure she knew what it was then spent several minutes trying to get the attention of the waiter who was obviously new to the profession and had way too much on his plate ( pun ) . Anyway , he was almost rude about taking her bowl away , and by the time it arrived back I had already finished my whole meal . I actually thought he had forgotten it took so long .
So she starts at it again and not one minute later , guess what ? Another hair . Now this really grinds her so she angrily hails the now totally fluster waiter over and loudly proclaims she found yet another hair in her soup . What did this guy do ? He tells her that according to the chef it's a mussel hair , and not a human hair . My wife , being from the shores/docks of the Atlantic just about flipped at this pathetic excuse . Mussels do have ' hair ' but they are short, very rough and brittle , not shiney and flexible , or long ! The waiter merely shrugged his shoulders and proclaimed , well , that she didn't have to pay for it . This was more then a insult as she hardly had any of it to begin with . At that point , I paid for my overpriced and tiny meal , and not only have we vowed to never step back into that establishment , but have told all our friends as well . Also , seeing that they are joined to the restaurant next door to it , they too shall never see our hard earned money .

So , I give them the middle finger for service , quality , ambience and even parking ! I truely wonder how the City gave them a licence with so little space available for all the seats they have in the two combined eateries .
If you're looking for something local to there , try the middle-eastern place directly across the street . For seafood , in a pinch even Trawlers , Boyds or even Bookers are decent . Or what we've been doing lately is saving our pennies and going without and then head over to the eastern coast and going wild . Quality over convenience , and not a whole lot of BS artists to have to deal with .

Anyway , if you go , good luck .

blitz
06-10-2006, 08:30 AM
^^^^You know the restaurant next door is owned by the same person? Same with Diner Delux on Edmonton Trail as well.

I've been to Big Fish three times (Lunch, Dinner, and Valentines day special)

Dinner and lunch were great (Tuna and Arctic Char are good, same with Soft Shelled Crab Sandwich and some of their brunch items).

I'd go back, but the menu isn't big enough to make it a regular stop. I've been impressed with teh service, maybe they just had a rough start?

ddmmak
06-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the reviews!!!>. ill try not to have the seafood soup..ill try the tuna/char.... ill get a review in once i try it out...

blueToy
06-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ddmmak
Thanks for the reviews!!!>. ill try not to have the seafood soup..ill try the tuna/char.... ill get a review in once i try it out...

As mentioned before , we only went the one time so I'm not entirely sure if Dude was having a bad day or what , but they are still open so go ahead and try the soup . It actually looked pretty good , we just thought the service and attitude of the waiter was very unprofessional , and it completely turned us off from ever going there .

My review of the place doesn't come from one who has been there several times and really knows the place , I'm just letting you know what happened to us . Also , when it comes to food , what one person finds tasty , another may find foul ( fowl ? , lol ) .

nonlinear
06-11-2006, 12:10 AM
i've been a few times. great decor. dreary and humid and makes you feel like you're sitting on the foggy shores on newfoundland. food is great as well. i had a sandwich once (deep fried soft shell crab or something like that) and some fish other times.

highly recommended:thumbsup:

danielle
07-05-2006, 11:08 PM
We eat there often, really like the space, and the menu isn't the usual something for everyone crap. Nice fish. Service is usually great, sometimes it's really busy and we don't get fawned over-but that's fine by me. Worth a visit anyway.