PDA

View Full Version : Skylines..

*prettyboy*
06-11-2006, 03:04 PM
I've been seeing skylines like crazy here in calgary, i always see this one here in coventry and i've been looking at purchasing one, i'm just wondering now are they expencive to maintain with parts n ext. and are parts hard to find or just expencive?:confused:

Palmiros
06-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by *prettyboy*
[... and are parts hard to find or just expencive?:confused:

I`m guessing both..?!

Graham_A_M
06-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Since Skylines weren't released in North America, all the parts will have to come from Japan. Some stupid kids keep buying them, and getting a little to cocky with the gas pedal; so there are a bunch of them being written off and sold to auto wreckers. So its not impossible to buy used parts locally, but its sure a lot harder then buying a parts for a north-american released vehicle.

I've personally heard a LOT of mixed opinions of their reliablilty. A friend of mine works at a Nissan dealership. He says the Skylines are SO unreliable and costly to maintain (JDM parts ONLY) that the dealership's service department is making a killing off of these cars alone, since they frequent the shop as much as they do, especially with these ultra-costly repairs.

To me: Skylines are ultra-overrated. I think people just love them since their JDM only. But their not that fast, and I've heard countless kill stories of not-so-fast cars eating skylines for breakfast. :dunno:

I'd say spend your money elsewhere. But thats just my opinion, and ONLY MY opinion.

*prettyboy*
06-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks
I'll most definitly take that into concideration,
:thumbsup:

Cornfed
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM
My friend's got a Skyline and it runs pretty good for him. No major problems and he only got it for 6000. Keep in mind though, it's only a GTS. I don't think maintainance is too bad on those models, however GT-R's are a different story. If you want a fast Skyline, go GT-R, but be prepared to spend A LOT of money on it.

Toms-SC
06-11-2006, 04:03 PM
3 2 1 search

talonboi
06-11-2006, 05:47 PM
skylines are reliable, but they are 15years old, things do break regardless of what kind of car it is. but i've seen skylines being driven the crap out of and the engine runs good. its the usual wear and tears that break, and as for the people crashing them, it doesnt make the skyline anymore less of a car. even if half of the skyline owners think my cars a pos i still respect the skyline as a tuner car

-Jay21-
06-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Since Skylines weren't released in North America, all the parts will have to come from Japan. Some stupid kids keep buying them, and getting a little to cocky with the gas pedal; so there are a bunch of them being written off and sold to auto wreckers. So its not impossible to buy used parts locally, but its sure a lot harder then buying a parts for a north-american released vehicle.

I've personally heard a LOT of mixed opinions of their reliablilty. A friend of mine works at a Nissan dealership. He says the Skylines are SO unreliable and costly to maintain (JDM parts ONLY) that the dealership's service department is making a killing off of these cars alone, since they frequent the shop as much as they do, especially with these ultra-costly repairs.

To me: Skylines are ultra-overrated. I think people just love them since their JDM only. But their not that fast, and I've heard countless kill stories of not-so-fast cars eating skylines for breakfast. :dunno:

I'd say spend your money elsewhere. But thats just my opinion, and ONLY MY opinion.

I have a few friends with GTSTs and one that owned a GTR. GTRs are known as the least reliable of the 2, but he never had a problem with it. GTSTs just require regular maintenence, it all depends on what quality of car you bring in from Japan. If you spend next to nothing, expect problems, pay a fair price and the odds are that you'll get a cracking car.

Sorath
06-11-2006, 11:56 PM
skylines are overrated, dont waste ur money on one, but hey, if u want a skyline mines for sale for 12,500

CrvenaZvezda
06-12-2006, 12:42 AM
if you wanna be unique definetly dont get a skyline, dont get me wrong theyre nice cars thats for sure but damn it now theres more skylines on the streets of calgary than there are dodge caravans.

ex1z7
06-12-2006, 02:38 AM
A buddy of mine here in Thunder Bay imported an R32 GTR, and has had countless problems. From redoing the electrical work from a japanese hack-job, to clutch drama's, to turbo's fucking up.. Just drama after drama. He's sick of putting the car on the road and 2 weeks later taking it off. He doesn't track the car, nor race it, nor drive it hard - theres the off fun time but it shouldn't hurt the car as much as it has.

But like he said. You're buying someones used, 15+ year old car.

And GTR's are abused far worse then any other Skylines IMO.

talonboi
06-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
skylines are overrated, dont waste ur money on one, but hey, if u want a skyline mines for sale for 12,500

you say skylines are over-rated yet you sell yours for $12500, its a good thing your parking at the theater this friday.:D

DragZilla
06-12-2006, 09:54 AM
I own a gts-t and I think its an awsome car... sure I've had a few things go wrong with it.. but its all things you'd expect to go wrong on a 15 year old vehicle... after purchasing my car... I'm glad I didnt buy somthing else... every time I drive my car it puts a smile on my face :D

as for parts... I found that getting parts from japan for a skyline can be cheaper than getting parts from a 240/300... I went to the dealership looking for a window relay... a 240 one ran around $180.00... and it would come in from edmonton... the skyline relay from japan cost me $170.00...

T78Supra1
06-12-2006, 10:00 AM
If you are going to import i would stay away from Skylines.....They are no longer rare any car show will have at least three of them.
I would probably get an MR2 Turbo or an NSX type R (RARE!!!!)
At least there are parts here

rc2002
06-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Nissan brings in a LOT of jdm parts now. It's actually getting easier and easier to source parts for Skylines. The Skyline shop in Vancouver is bringing parts in just for the Skyline market too.

2000_SI
06-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by T78Supra1

I would probably get an MR2 Turbo or an NSX type R (RARE!!!!)
At least there are parts here
Yeah but buying a Skyline will also be a hell of a lot cheaper than an NSX-R :rofl:

JAYMEZ
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I did a quick search on beyond for the word skyline and came up with 59 pages worth.. Please do a search on topics that have been over killed beyond belief.

:closed: