PDA

View Full Version : Fiero "model & options" questions

Graham_A_M
06-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi guys, my co-worker wants a little rip-around summer car for cheap, so there are these Fiero's going for $2500 or so. I'm posting this on his behalf. The engine swap options are hard to beat. Even 5.7L engines have been transplanted in Fiero's from time to time.

Dont get started on the unreliability of the 1984's, I know their disasters, which gave ALL fiero's a bad rep. the 1985's and up seem to be great cars, with average problems. I checked out the online "survey's and consumer reports" and 8/10 people seem to be quite happy with them.

There are a few 2M4's around. How do these differ from the "Formula" models or the "GT" 's?

which are the ones with the 4 wheel disks & 5 speed transmissions?

any other help would be much appreciated on his behalf.
Which are the ones to avoid in particular (asides from ALL the 1984 ones) ?

Thanks guys.

Arthur Dent
06-11-2006, 08:11 PM
All V6 (2.8L 60 degree V6) ones have 5spds. Early 4cylinders (2.5L Iron Duke) have 4 speeds and laters one have either an Izuzu or Getrag 5spd. The 1988 Forumla is the ultimate Fiero with Lotus designed suspension (ie GM gets it right in the last year then kills it).

I'd look for an 88 GT or Formula first but other they are nice but a little slow. The 1984s had a reputation for catching fire - any left around will have that flaw fixed by now.

Graham_A_M
06-11-2006, 10:07 PM
^ the 1988's are hard to find and seem to cost a fortune. But I'll keep my eyes open. Its almost comical to see the ratings of the 1984's. Engine bay fires amoung other things; like fuel sending units corroding and eventually falling into the gastank.. :thumbsdow

but the 1988's are just incredible cars in many regards. :thumbsup:

TurboMedic
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
I had an 84, it wasn't too bad, most of them have had the safety recalls done......As was said above, 88's are hard to find, 86's and up are good.....Try and find a GT V6 one, the 4 was a little on the weak side.....Also look for ones with neat options....Mine for example was a full load 2M4, factory suede seats, power everything, huge moonroof, etc.....Problem areas are popup headlight motors, throttle cables, ebrake cables....Best thing to do with them is drop the subframe, and V8 it (or 3.4 V6 if you aren't that committed)......

All of them came with 4 wheel disks, mine was a WS6 suspension package (I think most are?), and 4 speed Muncie transmission that was surprisingly smooth.....The car was slow, but handled like crazy! Strongarm steering though....

As for parts, they shared the partsbin with the Chevette, Cavelier, some buicks, stuff like that, so most of the mechanical is very salvageable, its just body and interior parts that are getting harder to find now....