PDA

View Full Version : Question about speeding ticket

AzN'SKillZ
06-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I have a friend that recently got a speeding ticket and also another ticket for not having his drivers licences.
he was speeding in a playground zone goin 46km and got pulled over. he does not have a drivers licences or learners. but he convince the cop that he forgot his learners at home. the cop used a radar to catch him but never showed it to him.

Should he go to court and try to fight the speeding ticket. Or is it to risky cuz they might find out he dosent hav his learners???

liquidboi69
06-12-2006, 12:36 AM
LoL...thats like saying you stole something from a store, and you want to go to court becuase the item you stole was defective.

Your friend is lucky he just got a speeding ticket, I would definately leave it. Don't push your luck...I think this would be comon sense if he doesn't even have his learners. He could be trading a small speeding fine for a huge no-insurance no license fine (in the thousands.)

xrayvsn
06-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Just pay the ticket. Your "friend" got lucky. I don't think they look too kindly on you (err your "friend") lying to the police.

FiveFreshFish
06-12-2006, 12:42 AM
If he had passed a driving test and earned a driver's license, he would have known not to exceed 30 in a playground zone. Pay the fine, face the consequences and learn how to drive.

:thumbsdow

Xtrema
06-12-2006, 09:29 AM
So the cop issued the ticket base on car registration?

Count yourself lucky. Don't even contest the ticket, just pay that sucka.

djayz
06-12-2006, 09:32 AM
^
most likely seeing as how the kid didnt present the cop with any id so as long as he didnt give his name the ticket probably went to the person the car is registered to

pay the fine and call it a day...im pretty sure its called joyriding until you get caught...very lucky!

Mitsu3000gt
06-12-2006, 09:49 AM
The cop doesn't have to show you his radar gun unless you ask. BUt you are allowed to ask and he has to be able to show you.

Mark

elusiv
06-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The cop doesn't have to show you his radar gun unless you ask. BUt you are allowed to ask and he has to be able to show you.

Mark

Thats incorrect. The cop doesnt have to reveal the readout on his radar gun if you ask.

Mitsu3000gt
06-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I work with several cops and my buddy's brother is a cop, all 5 of them told me the same thing, and that is they have to show you if you ask. Also, when I got pulled over a year ago, I asked and they showed me, and I asked if they had to show me if I asked and they said yes. I suppose it's possible that their all misinformed, but unlikely. All I have to go by is what they tell me and what happened to me. I have not however ever read this anywhere.

Mark

95EagleAWD
06-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Pay the ticket!

How can you even ask this question... :dunno:

Your "buddy" is a tool too.... 46 over in a playground zone?!?

That cop must have been having a good day, because your buddy sure as hell didn't deserve to drive out of that situation.

USED1
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Pay the ticket!

Your "buddy" is a tool too.... 46 over in a playground zone?!?

If you read the post correctly, he stated that he was doing 46km/h in the playground zone; not 46km/h over the limit.:drama:

Needless to say, just pay the damn ticket. If you were speeding and got caught, you deserve the ticket.

95EagleAWD
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by USED1

If you read the post correctly, he stated that he was doing 46km/h in the playground zone; not 46km/h over the limit.:drama:

Needless to say, just pay the damn ticket. If you were speeding and got caught, you deserve the ticket.

I stand corrected... :whipped:

GQBalla
06-12-2006, 03:49 PM
pwned....i dont get how the cop let "your friend" go .... who was sitting beside him when he was driving? he needs a "supervisor" to drive with a learners..

elusiv
06-12-2006, 03:49 PM
I work with several cops and my buddy's brother is a cop, all 5 of them told me the same thing, and that is they have to show you if you ask. Also, when I got pulled over a year ago, I asked and they showed me, and I asked if they had to show me if I asked and they said yes. I suppose it's possible that their all misinformed, but unlikely. All I have to go by is what they tell me and what happened to me. I have not however ever read this anywhere.

Mark

Unfortunately, my experience is different. The cop refused to show me and was actually being quite a dick about it. When I went down to the court, i was told by various officers as well as the crown that they are not by law, obliged to show you the read out. I too was still in disbelieve until they showed me some documentation from the supreme court of canada stating exactly that...

Either way, just cross your fingers that if you ever get pulled over, they'll actually show you some proof.

88CRXGUY
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I think that is the luckiest SOB ever. Yeah man just pay the ticket, concider himself VERY lucky. Now with the money he is going to spend on his ticket he could have put it towards his licence.

Doesn't this knid of piss some people off, the ones that do have licenses and get tickets we get demits and higher insurance rates(And we paied for the drivers training/licences and stuff). Now how come someone that didn't have a license and or registration at all and isn't allowed to drive gets off scott free. WTF...

I appalde the Calgary Police Department for doing a fine job once again....:thumbsdow

Mitsu3000gt
06-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by elusiv

Unfortunately, my experience is different. The cop refused to show me and was actually being quite a dick about it. When I went down to the court, i was told by various officers as well as the crown that they are not by law, obliged to show you the read out. I too was still in disbelieve until they showed me some documentation from the supreme court of canada stating exactly that...

Either way, just cross your fingers that if you ever get pulled over, they'll actually show you some proof.

Maybe they changed the law since I asked then. I have never seen it written down anywhere myself, just going by what I'm told so it is not necessarily true.

Mark

AzN'SKillZ
06-13-2006, 12:40 AM
thanks for the advice

the cop issued the tickets based on his citizenship card,
to clear things up he was goin 46km not 46km over speed limit,
he was drivin a registerd car with insurence.

part of my question is if he could get the speeding ticket off but seeing as everyone says no i guess not. but is there a possiblitiy he could go to court and maybe reduce the fine???

Oldskool
06-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Go back and read every post in this thread, all of them state NOT to go to court.

Just pay the fine!

DayGlow
06-13-2006, 03:29 AM

Mark

There is nothing that says the cop has to show anything. Myself, if someone asks I will show it to them no problem, then make note that they agreed that the reading is what I ticketed them for.

glennc
06-13-2006, 03:35 AM
Theres no harm in asking, hell, next time I get a ticket I'm going to ask.

Not that I dont "trust" cops. But in the past theyve said "you were going 104, i clocked you at 110, heres a ticket for 75.

Sometimes I think they just pick on the hondas.... :confused:

Lexxan
06-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

There is nothing that says the cop has to show anything. Myself, if someone asks I will show it to them no problem, then make note that they agreed that the reading is what I ticketed them for.

Stop lasering people.. go catch some real criminals.

DayGlow
06-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan

why? That takes effort.

Toms-SC
06-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ
thanks for the advice

the cop issued the tickets based on his citizenship card,
to clear things up he was goin 46km not 46km over speed limit,
he was drivin a registerd car with insurence.

part of my question is if he could get the speeding ticket off but seeing as everyone says no i guess not. but is there a possiblitiy he could go to court and maybe reduce the fine???

Yes, tell him to go to court. :) I think everybody here is full of crap about not going to court, like, why should you not go and try?

Ben
06-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan

Fuck you're stupid.

Every cop thread you've posted in, you come off as a totally ignorant tool with the IQ 4 points lower than your Silverado.

Grow a brain and an understanding of the Criminal and policing sections in Canada before you decide to post again. I cant believe there's still people out there who think every cop is the same, a traffic cop, and that the roads are your domain to do as you please.

nonsane
06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
^^^^^^^ What he said!!

If there were no traffic cops their would be chaos on the roads. Er Rather more chaos. I wish they would go after reckless drivers or have camara cars to catch drivers who do dumb/inconsiderate things.

Someone else posted a thread that made a good point about saying Do not ask to see the reading because it just says "I'm going to fight this" therefore they will make a longer report and bring lots of things to prove themselves. You will stick out in their memory and have less chance of slipping through.

khtm
06-13-2006, 08:48 AM

Mark
Wrong, by law they DO NOT have to show you their gun, but if you go to court and fight the ticket, it looks very suspicious if you bring up the fact that they refused to show you.

Maybe that's why your cop friends think they have to show it, because it's like shooting themselves in the foot if they don't ;)

Mitsu3000gt
06-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by khtm

Wrong, by law they DO NOT have to show you their gun, but if you go to court and fight the ticket, it looks very suspicious if you bring up the fact that they refused to show you.

Maybe that's why your cop friends think they have to show it, because it's like shooting themselves in the foot if they don't ;)

You are probably right, if it isn't written anywhere that they have too. Maybe its just something most of them do. Also, I would think you have the right to see the only factual evidence anyone has whatsoever that you were speeding.

Mark

elusiv
06-13-2006, 01:59 PM

You are probably right, if it isn't written anywhere that they have too. Maybe its just something most of them do. Also, I would think you have the right to see the only factual evidence anyone has whatsoever that you were speeding.

Mark

All good bud.

For what it's worth, from what I'm told... it actually takes a bit more effort into "locking" the reading into the radar gun so that it can be shown to the speeder. If the cop doesnt take the extra step to "lock" the read out, then it'll clear itself automatically thereby losing any proof that you were indeed going that fast.

So if you ask to see the read out, and the cop didnt lock the reading... he's going to refuse you, simply because he no longer has proof.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to this, so take it as you will. I could be way off, so dont quote me on this.

And to the OP... do you really wanna risk bringing this to court where they have the possibility of finding out that not only were you speeding in a playground zone, but did so without having a valid drivers license?