PDA

View Full Version : *Safe Surfing at work?

Godfuader
06-13-2006, 11:06 AM
So, as the title states...how can i surf safely at work? Any websites i visit show up in the drop down menu basically: beyond, sports, travel and other non-work sites. I tried using 'Tools' -> 'Internet Options' but the History section is greyed out so I cant click anything. What i was thinking about doing was to use MS Word to type in the address and hyperlink it, how well would that work? Now I do have my own private office, with a protected PC but I dont want something so irrelevent to be an issue in the future.
TIA

snowboard
06-13-2006, 11:08 AM
yah link through msn, or word or something, it will be in history, but not the drop down menus
i do that at home so my little sister dont go through my shit haha

shakalaka
06-13-2006, 11:09 AM
What I do if I dont want the websites to come on the drop down list is, type the website anywhere and copy it and then you can paste it in google. So the website comes up and you can go on it from there. I guess that only avoids the drop down list problem, website would be still in the actual history though.

benyl
06-13-2006, 11:51 AM
install Firefox.

Ben
06-13-2006, 11:58 AM
LOL, trust me, if your work cared about where your surfed, they know, and it doesnt matter if you try linking through word and junk.

Two words, Proxy Server.

Or most good Firewalls, either have built-in reporting features or have addons available that can provide reports of all Web sites accessed through the firewall and from what account and computer they were accessed.

So yeah, doesn't really matter.

CaptainReboot
06-13-2006, 12:42 PM
If the network at your work is setup right, all internet activity is tracked, no matter what you do. For audit reasons of course.

AD_Runner
06-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Ben
LOL, trust me, if your work cared about where your surfed, they know, and it doesnt matter if you try linking through word and junk.

Two words, Proxy Server.

Or most good Firewalls, either have built-in reporting features or have addons available that can provide reports of all Web sites accessed through the firewall and from what account and computer they were accessed.

So yeah, doesn't really matter.

Very correct! My work can see everything we do and go --- if they want to nail someone they can -- I just don't surf all day long -- Might reply on a board like this sometimes through out the day, but not that big of a deal --

mix123
06-13-2006, 01:27 PM
How can u get around the proxy server? is there any way?

nonsane
06-13-2006, 01:49 PM
yes, set up your own proxy server at home and set the browser to go through that.

edit: Actually this will only work if you DO NOT need a proxy to access the internet already, but will help if you are going through a firewall/router

It will look suspicious when you are accessing your home repeatedly all day, but it'll work.

Regardless if they are REALLY motivated, they can monitor what is being sent over the connection, however most companies are not that intrusive.

Also i use firefox and set it to clear the history after i close it.

snowboard
06-13-2006, 01:52 PM
yah i think he understands that
he just doesnt want it in his pull down bar where its SO EASY to see i think.

my IT guy used to block me from sites (beyond) just to be a prick all the time haha

Godfuader
06-13-2006, 01:57 PM
See the problem is not about them knowing where i have been. Even my manager does not have access to my computer as I have my client portfolio on here. I was just concerned about the drop down list because it would be unprofessional if a client was looking at my screen and I choose to use drop down and they read sites like 'boredatwork.com', 'howtoplotagainsttheworld.com', etc.
The auditor would only show concern if I was to use a secondary mail client like hotmail or if I was to access content that was caught in filters.

EDIT:

Originally posted by snowboard
yah i think he understands that
he just doesnt want it in his pull down bar where its SO EASY to see i think.

:werd:

Beyond is minimized on my desktop all day, i just say no to avtars and signatures to no show.