PDA

View Full Version : Police SUV runs over, kills sunbather on beach

benyl
06-13-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/13/beach.death.ap/index.html

OXNARD, California (AP) -- Two police officers patrolling a beach in an SUV on Monday ran over and killed a sunbather, authorities said.

The officers did not immediately realize they ran over the woman and continued driving, police Cmdr. Tom Chronister said in a statement.

The officers, who were not immediately identified, had stopped on a small berm of sand to watch a swimmer who they believed to be in distress. When they saw the swimmer was fine, they drove over the berm and apparently over the woman's head, authorities said.

A witness called the Oxnard Fire Department to report the woman was bleeding on the beach just south of the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Resort. The woman, Cindy Conolly, 49, of Sioux City, Iowa, was in town for her son's wedding, said Mike Feiler, senior deputy medical examiner in the Ventura County coroner's office.

An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on paid leave pending an investigation.

Oxnard is located about 55 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

benyl
06-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Remind me never to lay on the beach in Oxnard...

M_K_3
06-13-2006, 01:12 PM
^ only if u remind me thats crazy

teggypimp95
06-13-2006, 01:12 PM
I thought u had to worry about sharkes when ur at the beach, no police suvs

eb0i
06-13-2006, 01:18 PM
That is just awful :(

CalgarySupra
06-13-2006, 01:28 PM
i never unstood why they drive in sand with big real trucks. kids there too.

Dren
06-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra
i never unstood why they drive in sand with big real trucks. kids there too.

truee..they drive like the biggest trucks..on the sand...when i never see them needing something that big .

snowboard
06-13-2006, 01:38 PM
The woman, Cindy Conolly, 49, of Sioux City, Iowa, was in town for her son's wedding, said Mike Feiler, senior deputy medical examiner in the Ventura County coroner's office.

So, he's going to do an autopsy on his own mother most likely? how horrible would that be.

SOAB
06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

So, he's going to do an autopsy on his own mother most likely? how horrible would that be.

you may want to take another reading comprehension class :D

shitty luck for the lady though. cop won't get charged for anything....

SOAB
06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
shite, double post...

/////AMG
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
:thumbsdow How can you not see someone!!

benyl
06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Probably looking at some hot biznatch on the beach. While drooling out the window, they forgot to look forward at what they were driving over.

snowboard
06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
ooo, said.
hahaha
i didnt notice the said.

BlackArcher101
06-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
:thumbsdow How can you not see someone!!

Easy, woman was lying down on the other side of the berm. They probably had no chance of seeing her as the windshield would have been pointing above the horizon from cresting the berm.

Feel sorry for her family and the officers. It was most likely an accident that only could have been prevented by not driving on the beach in the first place.

finboy
06-13-2006, 06:58 PM
"am i clear?"
"yea"
*crunch*
"damn, i'm getting written up for this one"

Gondi Stylez
06-13-2006, 11:39 PM
:(

jaysas_63
06-14-2006, 01:45 AM
if they don't get man slaugter, i will be pretty pissed......i don't think police should get special treatement..it will just breed insubordinate police officers that feel they are above the law

and paid leave...can anyone say>>>what the fuck????<<<

TheShotgun
06-14-2006, 01:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/FUELALTERED/sharksonarollercoaster.jpg

95EagleAWD
06-14-2006, 07:16 AM
^^

:rofl:

That is AWESOME!

Kirbs17
06-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Damn, ran over her head none the less...

2000_SI
06-14-2006, 10:52 AM
:eek:

Holy crap thats crazy... Poor lady
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow to the 2 Oxnard cops

teggypimp95
06-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Probably the only positive to this situation is that she did not suffer, probably did not even feel a thing. :(

Zenshi
06-14-2006, 11:08 AM
can i ask why the hell they drive on beaches?
You'd think they just walk and patrol it or something...

dance4life
06-14-2006, 03:36 PM
fat and lazy,
too hot.. need airconditioning
baywatch wannabees ??

kaput
06-14-2006, 03:44 PM

BebeAphrodite
06-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Yikes
what a horrible situation.

Alex_FORD
06-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Why so quick to say they should be charged? If you lay on the beach 90% naked all day, you probably look just like the sand. Who knows, maybe she was topless and her suit was a light color? Maybe she wasn't on a bright colored beach towel? Maybe she was asleep and not moving? Like someone said, maybe she was laying tight beside a pile of sand? We don't know anything, so why are you so quick to condemn the cops and claim they are above the law when you don't know any circumstances? They could have just been 2 guys doing their job as they were taught and instructed to, and just like the woman, ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Do you think they are happy about this? Think man, think!

Um....page 1 of young Driver's manual :"Don't drive over people".

kaput
06-14-2006, 07:36 PM

Traffic_Cop
06-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
if they don't get man slaugter, i will be pretty pissed......i don't think police should get special treatement..it will just breed insubordinate police officers that feel they are above the law

and paid leave...can anyone say&gt;&gt;&gt;what the fuck????&lt;&lt;&lt;

Ever heard of the saying "innocent until proven guilty". These guys were at work, and yes it was a tragic mistake, however it was not intentional. You can probably rest assure that these guys are probably having many sleepless nights and wondering what they could have done different. YOU were not there I was not there.....get a grip man & give your head a shake.

liquidboi69
06-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The woman, Cindy Conolly, 49, of Sioux City, Iowa, was in town for her son's wedding.
Man sucks for her son. Way to ruin the happiness of a wedding

crazydriver
06-14-2006, 10:53 PM
are the cops even allowed to drive the SUV onto the beach?

finboy
06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by TheShotgun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/FUELALTERED/sharksonarollercoaster.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AD_Runner
06-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

Ever heard of the saying &quot;innocent until proven guilty&quot;. These guys were at work, and yes it was a tragic mistake, however it was not intentional. You can probably rest assure that these guys are probably having many sleepless nights and wondering what they could have done different. YOU were not there I was not there.....get a grip man &amp; give your head a shake.

Very well put! Wait till the whole story comes out and then make your mind up! I believe since the beach is a very far spread of land running in the sand can take up precious time that might need to be used to find a swimmer who went under the water, and if they have a vechile they can cut the time in half to get to the person, allowing more time to be used in search and rescue situation instead of running down the beach taking up precious time. Just a thought on why they might use vechiles on the beaches .......

On the other note it's a very sad situation that took place ... I truly feel for all the people involved in this situation...

FivE.SeveN
06-15-2006, 07:18 PM

Ever heard of the saying &quot;innocent until proven guilty&quot;. These guys were at work, and yes it was a tragic mistake, however it was not intentional. You can probably rest assure that these guys are probably having many sleepless nights and wondering what they could have done different. YOU were not there I was not there.....get a grip man &amp; give your head a shake.

BS, if that was me I'd be in a cell right now with a vehicular manslaughter charge. Cops always slam people with the harshest possible charge and then hope they plea it out rather than gambling on getting a bad lawyer and the whole 10 years. Aww it was an accident? TOO FUCKING BAD, YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL PUNK.

Meanwhile these 2 get paid leave and an 'inquiry' where they'll find it was just an unfortunate incident and they'll get cut loose with like 6 months leave.

Just wait for it. :whipped:

Tik-Tok
06-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN

BS, if that was me I'd be in a cell right now with a vehicular manslaughter charge. Cops always slam people with the harshest possible charge and then hope they plea it out rather than gambling on getting a bad lawyer and the whole 10 years. Aww it was an accident? TOO FUCKING BAD, YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL PUNK.

Meanwhile these 2 get paid leave and an 'inquiry' where they'll find it was just an unfortunate incident and they'll get cut loose with like 6 months leave.

+1

If I run over someone lying in the street because I didn't see them, I'm still gonna be in jail, wether I feel bad about it or not. These guys get paid vacation time, and $50 says not one jailed day.

Wreckless driving at the very least.

Traffic_Cop
06-15-2006, 07:39 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!...you really have no clue about law do you??. 1stly any law enforcement officer involved in an "officer involved death" is removed from duty, this allows an comprhensive and beleive it or not un-biased complete investigation to be held. If that was yourself, and given the circumstances...chances are you actually wouldn't be charged, however given the high-profile role law enforcement has in society, the consequences are MUCH higher, and more severe. Just ask RCMP Cst Mike McKenner who was found guilty of manslaughter after protecting his own life in jail...Cops/Police get acted upon way more harsh than regular Joe Citizen.

I will re-iterate my earlier post with regard to the paid 6 months leave. Imagine this was you, you have just taken another human life by complete accident....as a Police officer you will be investigated by the best of the best, then you will face a fatality inquiry and then you may loose your job, pension, family and pretty much life as you once knew it, along with jail time, possibly facing harsher consqeuences than most people...and for what??...a mistake that anyone could have made.

I will also say this again for all you cop haters.....if you think this was delibertae or these guys are getting off easy GIVE YOU HEAD A SHAKE, and walk a mile in our shoes one day.

95EagleAWD
06-15-2006, 09:03 PM
^^

:werd:

jaysas_63
06-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Why so quick to say they should be charged?

they killed a person.....lol wow i must be an irrational asshole eh?? to think that i could have been so arrogant and selfish to belive that people should be charged for running people over!

sorry about the sarcasm

Ever heard of the saying &quot;innocent until proven guilty&quot;. These guys were at work, and yes it was a tragic mistake, however it was not intentional..............Snip..........

i'm very sure it wasn't intentional, after all there aren't that many people who go out to run over peoples heads, let alone police officers, but if you read my post i said they should be charged with >>>>manslaughter (involuntary)<<<<...i.e no intent to kill, cause of neglegence or recklessness...sounds pretty bang on eh?

and yes i do belive its BS that the police are getting paid leave, because if anyone else was to run someone over they would be held in custody, let alone paid leave

EDIT: one more thing...you are asking me to "shake my head" with embarrassment for saying such harsh things, and for not being more considerate to the police officers......well excuse my language officer, but FUCK THAT....what ever happened to accountability......the police officers are the ONLY ones to be shaking their heads in shame

i do feel for the officers but at the end of the day it was their fault, and no one else's

kaput
06-15-2006, 09:25 PM

jaysas_63
06-15-2006, 09:32 PM
People like you make me question if I really want to become an officer because you really aren't worth protecting.

ok....so what would you do about these officers....give them a loli-pop and send them on their mary way?

what if you were an officer that came to a scene where i ran over a lady, killed her, because i was on my cell phone, not paying attention to the road.......would you not feel the need to charge me?

sorry man, but i'm not a fan of double standards

jaysas_63
06-15-2006, 09:34 PM
People like you make me question if I really want to become an officer because you really aren't worth protecting.

and btw....you don't think my life is worth protecting.......well all i can say is if thats your mentality, then you are going to be a terrible police officer, and i would not reccomend you join the force

i mean no insult, sorry but thats how i feel

FiveFreshFish
06-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Clearly she died from having her head run over. Why do they need to do an autopsy?

D911
06-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Clearly she died from having her head run over. Why do they need to do an autopsy?

:rofl: :rofl:

procedure? ha.

I feel bad for the woman, what a bad way to end your life.

FivE.SeveN
06-15-2006, 10:52 PM

and btw....you don't think my life is worth protecting.......well all i can say is if thats your mentality, then you are going to be a terrible police officer, and i would not reccomend you join the force

i mean no insult, sorry but thats how i feel

++ :thumbsup:

Well the *idea* is you become a cop to serve the interests of all the people and enforce the legal system. When I was in the Army, I served the country -- and everyone that lives here. Can't be selective about who you work for, you know.

Traffic_Cop
06-16-2006, 12:00 AM

what if you were an officer that came to a scene where i ran over a lady, killed her, because i was on my cell phone, not paying attention to the road.......would you not feel the need to charge me?

sorry man, but i'm not a fan of double standards

Awesome, then maybe you should join our Police union or better still work on internal files. Jeese I hate it when we have traffic analysits arriving at our collision when "joe public" would have gotten a ticket and we face criminal charges...or better still when people think they can yell & scream at us for issuing a ticket, or think they can assault us, & spit on us, but the minute we say something like "get back in your vehicle" we undergo months of internal investigation, face numerous review board & have public complaints listed on a permanent record which affects promotion. Want a job?????....id hire you!!!!!!!!!!!

FivE.SeveN
06-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Can I limo-tint my car even on the windshield if I say Yes?

Traffic_Cop
06-16-2006, 12:08 AM
^^^^ Unfortunately not....because that would be a double standard, and i guess we can't have that!! :rofl:

DayGlow
06-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Just wait for it.

+1

If I run over someone lying in the street because I didn't see them, I'm still gonna be in jail, wether I feel bad about it or not. These guys get paid vacation time, and $50 says not one jailed day.

Wreckless driving at the very least.

Strange, I was part of the response to a faitality collision just south of the city last year where a gravel truck hit and killed 2 people sleeping on the side of the road at night in a dark area as he was leaving the road to turn off.

He went home that night and after the Traffic section investigated the incident he wasn't charged with anything because he did nothing wrong.

But we should treat cops differently because those assholes give you tickets and shit right?

SwitchBlade
06-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Lifes a beach when you tread on the wrong side of the law.

benyl
06-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Yes. I believe in the states, if you don't die of "natural causes" there is a madatory autopsy. Two of my friends have died in the states and this was the case each time.