PDA

View Full Version : When does the Neon SRT-4 come out?

R-Audi
04-07-2003, 10:52 AM
I know its a Neon, but I would like to test drive it. It looks like a fun little car. I guess its sales will depend on if people can forget its a Neon when they are driving it.
Should be interesting either way.....:rofl:

ecstasy_civic
04-07-2003, 10:57 AM
i really want to test drive one, if its nearly as good as the reports ive read, im really excited to test one out

speedracer
04-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Around Sept 2003.
Only 300 will be alotted for Canada

Glowrider
04-07-2003, 01:16 PM
It's out already here in the States. The interior looks kinda shitty, IMO.

hjr
04-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider

probably. they are trying too keep the cost down on a neon. Thats about the only place left to go :D

Monster Hui
04-07-2003, 01:54 PM
yea they are slowly releasing them in the states... started last month or so. I don't think there are solid words on when it'll be in canada showroom yet.. but it will come :)

importadrenelin
04-07-2003, 02:04 PM
for the price that car is great for straight line racing...... interior will be crappy so they can keep costs down...

Stratus_Power
04-07-2003, 02:08 PM
bah all domestic interior sucks ( most of them anyway)
ie corvette

98type_r
04-07-2003, 02:41 PM
from what i've heard, the performance of the vehicle is quite impressive

02bump'nWRX
04-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power

bah all domestic interior sucks ( most of them anyway)
ie corvette

I have to disagree. My mom's 2000 vette has about the nicest ineterior in a car. I love the gauges and evrything is really easy to use. It might not have the quality of a japanese interior but its still damn nice. And for the price of a vette and what it can do i wouldn't complain. but thats just my $.02

speedracer
04-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by importadrenelin
for the price that car is great for straight line racing...... interior will be crappy so they can keep costs down...

It's a track car. The interior is pretty much the same as all the cars priced in that area with a boost guage :)

R-Audi
04-07-2003, 06:42 PM
My mom's 2000 vette has about the nicest ineterior in a car.
:barf: :barf:

Are you serious? I thought the Vette interior was the mix of a Cavalier, and a Pontiac Grand Am.
Have you ever sat in German car? None of the molded plastic interior shit. I don't know if I would place most Japanese companies at the top of the interior department either.
And for the price? Your are spending $45,000+ on molded plastic?
Thats a hell of a deal. Don't get me wrong, you can't beat the ZO6 for that price, oh wait I just saw a video of a Stage 2 SRT-4 beat one on the quarter Mile (Exhaust, Intake, Up & down Pipes)

Now you can't beat that for that price either......:thumbsup:

szw
04-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Only 300 for all of Canada!? I don't think i'll be allowed any test drives...

Glowrider
04-07-2003, 10:03 PM
My mom's 2000 vette has about the nicest ineterior in a car.

Uh...you need to get out more.

ramminghard
04-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Depends on what you consider to be a nice interior. The vette seats are very comfortable and supportive and everything is easy to get to. Even though they used cheap plastic it is very functinonal and well designed. Function over fashion. I would take the interior of a vette over many of the mercedes and bmw's that i have been in.

02bump'nWRX
04-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

:barf: :barf:

Are you serious? I thought the Vette interior was the mix of a Cavalier, and a Pontiac Grand Am.
Have you ever sat in German car? None of the molded plastic interior shit. I don't know if I would place most Japanese companies at the top of the interior department either.
And for the price? Your are spending $45,000+ on molded plastic?
Thats a hell of a deal. Don't get me wrong, you can't beat the ZO6 for that price, oh wait I just saw a video of a Stage 2 SRT-4 beat one on the quarter Mile (Exhaust, Intake, Up & down Pipes)

Now you can't beat that for that price either......:thumbsup:

Actually i have sat in a german car..... my moms old 2001 E320 4matic. I think the gauges are ugly the seats sucked, i couldn't drive that car for more than an hour with out my back hurt'n and all in all the car was a POS. Sure it didn't use as much plastic but they have to sell their cars some how. (as you can tell we had a bad experience with german cars) Anyway as for the vette thats why every magazine raves about it being a world class sports car for a bargin basment price:dunno: But i'm on the worng board to be bashing german cars and raving about domestics escpecially corvettes. This is just my opinions but i personally like the looks of a corvettes interior.

R-Audi
04-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Actually i have sat in a german car..... my moms old 2001 E320 4matic. I think the gauges are ugly the seats sucked, i couldn't drive that car for more than an hour with out my back hurt'n and all in all the car was a POS. Sure it didn't use as much plastic but they have to sell their cars some how. (as you can tell we had a bad experience with german cars) Anyway as for the vette thats why every magazine raves about it being a world class sports car for a bargin basment price But i'm on the worng board to be bashing german cars and raving about domestics escpecially corvettes. This is just my opinions but i personally like the looks of a corvettes interior

I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Its not really a fair comparison with the corvette seats and the E320 though, the two are meant for completely different reason. Its too bad that you had a bad experience, since the German cars are known for their interior refinements. For the Corvette I have driven, it drove quite nice, but I felt the interior was seriously lacking, especially when you can pick parts out of other GM cars.
Your just lucky you didn't bash Honda....:rolleyes:

szw
04-08-2003, 09:54 AM
I dont' see what the big deal is about luxurious interiors. And yes, I've been in bmw's and mercedes. Yea its nice and comfy but I'm not living in my car.

Maybe its just cuz I have an ugly interior..ahha

5.9 R/T
04-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Honestly, the vette is a sports car, not a luxury car. Your asking it to do something that it isn't trying to do. If you want a luxury car buy Mercedes, you get your fancy interior and an automatic transmission, if you want one of the last true SPORTS cars left buy a vette.

Glowrider
04-08-2003, 11:23 AM
LOL. I wish I could see into the deranged world where a 2001 E320 is a "piece of shit". Silly kids...

R-Audi
04-08-2003, 02:59 PM
I guess the big problem I have with the vette is that regardless if it is a sports car or not, It is worth $45,000 and it shares a parts bin with cars that cost $20,000. I just don't like the mass production route the GM uses. I don't like being able to pick out parts from a Cavalier or Grand Prix in a new Corvette:banghead:

5.9 R/T
04-08-2003, 03:19 PM
This is true, but every manufacturer uses this process, including Audi MB BMW etc. etc. It's just their 'parts bin' is a little more refined then AC Delco lol.

T5_X
04-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by szw
I dont' see what the big deal is about luxurious interiors. And yes, I've been in bmw's and mercedes. Yea its nice and comfy but I'm not living in my car.

Maybe its just cuz I have an ugly interior..ahha

LOL, the Spec V interior looks like it was designed for a circus clown :rofl:

GM interiors are almost always poo. I feel like I'm in a coffin when I'm in GMs, the interiors are always so bland and depressing.

The statement that all domestics have crappy interiors is such a stupid generalization. Not true at all.

T5_X
04-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Honestly, the vette is a sports car, not a luxury car. Your asking it to do something that it isn't trying to do. If you want a luxury car buy Mercedes, you get your fancy interior and an automatic transmission, if you want one of the last true SPORTS cars left buy a vette. :werd: :clap:

Ajay
04-08-2003, 04:16 PM
You can't expect the SRT4 to have a nice interior. It's gonna go for what...about 26-28K in Canada and from the reviews I read it gives the WRX a GOOD run for it's money. It's more oriented to racing than anything else and think about it...it's a NEON. Neon's were introduced to be a entry level economy car to compete with the Civics, Tercels, Cavaliers, and Sunfires not as a sports car!

l/l/rX
04-08-2003, 06:22 PM
hmmm i read that the neon SRT-4 beats out WRX's, nissan 350z's, porshe boxster s, and lower end bimmers in 0-60mph and 1/4 mile timings.

and yea IMO the interior is crap.

izzoblitzo
04-08-2003, 07:21 PM
hehehe! thats why they sell those 'carbon fiber' and 'brushed aluminum' interior trim kits. *L*

For the most part, in general, you pay for what you get. Thats the bottom line.

And for all those people that go after the LED windshield washer lights and glowing emblems.. Theres a huge market for those because theres people that will buy them. Its a 'mod' for them, like doing something is better than nothing.

On a different note, the SRT will be wicked. Its got bucket seats for an entry level, a domestic at that! I was reading Road and Track a while back.. and they put the SRT vs. FOCUS SVT vs. SER vs. SIR.

Suprisingly, the SIR came in last in interior (although it looked kinda alike, buckets in all) I think the SRT or SVT came out on top in general.

ACS-e36
04-08-2003, 09:38 PM
ive heard that thing can really kick ass... for that price
but i agree... imo most domestics have SHIT interior
but id still like a testdrive

Redlyne_mr2
04-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Had a chance to drive one last fall...cool little car, the interior of course is pure trash but I was really impressed with the handling and even the stopping power of the car. I assumed that everthing would be subpar but dodge has apparently learnt their lesson from the last turbo dodges and fixed all their mistakes. The car pulls really hard almost all the way to redline, the only thing I couldnt get used to was all the torque steer

Stratus_Power
04-09-2003, 12:47 AM
i think its *Like* the viper.. all about speed

02bump'nWRX
04-09-2003, 07:25 AM
LOL. I wish I could see into the deranged world where a 2001 E320 is a "piece of shit". Silly kids...

When your last car was a toyota and you drove it for 325000 kms without the slightest prblem and them you buy a new e320 and it has to be towed to the dealer 3 times in under 36000km's i would consider that a POS. escpecially for $80K. That and the tranny leaked all the axel seals where replaced and a hole wack of other small things. Needless to say that car got traded in for 3 suzuki's...... none of which have had any problems. Oh and the service at hyatt sucked. My mom was actually told by the head customer service lady at MB that if she wanted to buy a quality car that doesn;t break down buy an Infinity!!

T5_X
04-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I assumed that everthing would be subpar but dodge has apparently learnt their lesson from the last turbo dodges and fixed all their mistakes. , the only thing I couldnt get used to was all the torque steer

Hmmmm, well then that would be a step down from the turbo dodges, since all came with equal legth driveaxles back then.

And I heard the SRT-4 was getting the same transmission as the stratus R/T, can someone confirm this?? This tranny is a T-850, designed for use in turbo diesel minivans in europe, essentially a truck transmission. Again, a huge step down from the Getrags used in the turbo dodge era.