PDA

View Full Version : How many times did you stall?

Evan
07-12-2002, 12:08 AM
Hehe, my friend just taught me the basics of driving standard. I stalled around 4-5 times I think, doh! :) It was a lot of fun though, more fun than I imagined.

I also screeched his tires by accident when I was starting off :thumbsdow.

What have your experiences been like?

finboy
07-12-2002, 01:17 AM
got one lesson in the zoo parking lot for about an hour, taught myself the rest...

but i still need practice.

kenny
07-12-2002, 01:24 AM
When my brother taught me how to drive standard in his brand new prelude, it was quite nerve racking because I didn't want to break anything since the car was only a week old, but I only stalled once or twice, the rest of the "close calls" were just very rough starts (lurching). Driving a manual tranmission car isn't fun, I totally prefer autos with steptronic-esque shifting so I can concentrate on more important things while driving :)

Someday, I'll try to hone my manual tranny skillz, but in the near future, auto all the way! :)

gpomp
07-12-2002, 01:30 AM
I stalled non-stop for 2 hours. My instructor was teaching me the no gas method which I had no clue about, and still don't...

RiceCake
07-12-2002, 01:48 AM
Hmm... I get a little rusty after not driving stick for a while. Occasionally i stall, but its the rough lurches that bug me...

I say usually give the car about a few hrs or day or 2 of driving and you will usually adapt to the clutch. :thumbsup:

Dyinghere
07-12-2002, 02:00 AM
tried today and got alot alot of stall.. keep releasing the clutch too fast . :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

buh_buh
07-12-2002, 02:04 AM
first time I ever drove standard was on my first car. Took it onto Macleod Trail at like rush hour, haha. Bad idea. But I only stalled like 2 or 3 times during that whole time. It was pretty nerve racking since I was scared other drivers would laugh or get pissed off at me.

max_boost
07-12-2002, 02:21 AM
Yes it is very nerve racking but with all things, practice make perfect! I stalled constantly for my very first 15mins of driving standard lol I couldn't even get the car moving haha

lammer
07-12-2002, 02:54 AM
me, im still waiting for a manual car..well a car for the matter once i do my dad will teach me..:)

bol
07-12-2002, 03:09 AM
I only stalled a couple of times while learning, because I was in the wrong gear! :banghead:

Biggest problem I ever had was getting used to finding where the gears are.

But I agree with Kenny, steptronic-esque transmissions are gaining popularity and we will soon see hydraulic controlled clutches become standard(a la BMW SMGII, Ferrari's F1 paddle shift...) They're cheaper, offer better performance and fuel mileage. It's all good stuff.

James
07-12-2002, 03:36 AM
haha, stall?? who me??:rolleyes: :rofl:

when i bought my first car('87 nissan 200sx, what a peice of shit), i had NO clue how to drive standard, what so ever! So my mom drove my car for about 3 minutes, and i was supposed to be paying attention, :nut: then i wanted to take over:bigpimp: .First of all, i didnt know That If you were in gear at a stop, you had to have your foot on the Clutch. I had no idea what i was doing wrong, and the car kept stalling. I was sooooooo pissed, I wanted to take the bus home! Over the next couple days, Which included MANY rough starts, stalls, and tire squels(ask Sexualbanana about driving to school on Glenmore:rofl: ) I started to catch on.
2 bolts on my Seat bracket actually snapped off the first night, from so many rough starts! funny shit. Got the hang of it now.:thumbsup: :bigpimp:

OPGForce
07-12-2002, 04:31 AM
Hehe, my friend just taught me the basics of driving standard. I stalled around 4-5 times I think, doh! It was a lot of fun though, more fun than I imagined.

at least u didn't get stuck on a steep hill. that's the worse thing that can happen to u when u first start out driving standard.

after u get good, u will love driving stick...way more control over the car, but sucks ass in "downtown bumper to bumper rush hour traffic".

4wheeldrift
07-12-2002, 07:01 AM
I stalled more times than I can count, I was getting really frustrated. I started learning on a bronco with aboslutely ZERO pedal feel. It took me forever to figure out where the take up point on that thing was. I think I've stalled my subie...maybe twice. Once after I got the new ACT clutch installed and once right after I first got the car.

Evan
07-12-2002, 07:07 AM
My friend owns a 2002 RSX Type-S so I was trying to be careful with it going really slow, I was nervous that I was gonna hit an island or something. lol, musta been going 5 km/h :D

The whole car jumped whenever I just pressed ever so lightly, just kinda startled me everytime we started. Hehe. It only lasted 15 or so minutes but it was still a lot of fun :angel:

GTS Jeff
07-12-2002, 07:18 AM
Well I taught myself standard on an SiR just a week ago, and it was alright. I stalled about 4 million times from not giving enough gas off a stop, but I think I've got it figured out now.

Rydog
07-12-2002, 07:51 AM
i learned standard at the ripe young age of 16 (almost 11 years ago...ahhhhhh!!!!) and have never looked back. it rules. more control and feel for what your car is doing and much better in the winter for slowing down.
i'll drive stick until i'm too decrepid to operate a clutch and am forced to go auto.

2000impreza
07-12-2002, 07:58 AM
i didn't stall too many times. i learned on a friends ford tempo. it was a shit beater. my biggest problem was 2nd to 3rd gear shift. i would always go too far and put it into 5th. downshifting took me awhile to learn too. it wasn't too hard.

auto vs manual..... kinda of a stupid debate. some manual guys think with an automatic you don't really drive the car or whatever. auto guys will say that they can concentrate on driving instead of shifting and so on. bottom line get what you think is best for you, not based on someone else's opinion.

Davan
07-12-2002, 09:24 AM
I jumped in head first. Picked up my car from the dealership, and "tried" to drive off with it. Stalled about 4 times on the way home.... :D

rx-7heaven
07-12-2002, 09:59 AM
the first time i tried, i stalled it maybe 5 times. then i started to get the hang of it a little better. i remembered wishing i never got a car that was standard, and how automatic was better. i love it now though. so much more fun. i think once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it, so you're not losing anything on the concentrating of the driving.

sexualbanana
07-12-2002, 10:05 AM
basically the first time i learned to drive standard, archie (b18c) let me drive it to mcdonalds. going to macdonalds was relatively easy since i actually made the light that i usually hit without stopping. but on my way home, just before glenmore, i stalled a good4 times in a row. pissing off a whole lotta drivers behind me, meanwhile archie's yelling at me, telling me to ignore the people that r annoyed or laughing at me.

lemme tell ya. learning to drive with a stage 3 clutch is no fun

rage2
07-12-2002, 10:29 AM
I learned to drive stick in a Mini (the REAL Mini). My family had one, and I always watched how it was driven, how the clutch works, how to shift, when to shift, etc. I learned the theory behind how all the stuff works when I was around 11 years old. My dad let me try it out when I was 12, zippin' around Varsity. The next time I tried stick was in my friend's K car. Never stalled once. When I got the Porsche, the clutch was really awkward. Stalled that thing like once a day for a week before getting used to it. I still stall the car once in a while.

Ben
07-12-2002, 11:01 AM
I learned on a standard, I didn't stall a whole lot but it was finding the gears that was a whore. Driving an old skool MK2 Jetta with quite a boat ore of a stick was really fun finding gears...

Now that I have driven stick for a few years, I cant remember the last time I have stalled...There have been near misses, and such but no stalling. Its something one just picks up from practice, practice *clutches* practice...

My car now has a 65% reduction short shifter with shift weight and a 20% reduced shift height and It is very nice to shift...for an OLD car...hehehe

boi-alien
07-12-2002, 11:46 AM
i remember when i learnt to drive stick. it was when i was 14, we were over at my friend's place and his parents had gone outta town. we wanted to go out and chill, but my friend didn't know how to drive stick.

so... heheh i was like 'i know what i'm doing!!!!'
and then we were off... and that's how i figured it out... stalled a bunch of times, but figured it out in the end... heheh now stalling is a thing that doesn't happen no more...

jaylo
07-12-2002, 04:40 PM
I stall when I check out girls inside a car, embarrasing but it's all good

HRD2PLZ
07-12-2002, 04:50 PM
When I bought my 2000 Acura 1.6EL (brand new) it was for my 18th. I knew the basics of driving a standard. Enough to get me home from Silverhill. When I bought the car, I went with my parents (who had to co-sign) and test drove the automatic. When I bought the 5 speed I wouldn't let them drive home with me so they couldn't see how bad I was. I don't remember how many times I stalled...Just remember my friends telling me I was the worlds biggest dumbass for learning how to drive a 5 speed on a brand new Acura :dunno: :burnout:

Maybe thats why I encountered some clutch and gearbox problems with the car :rofl:

:dunno: Practise makes perfect!

MrX
07-12-2002, 05:06 PM
I first learned how to drive standard way back in grade 10. Some friends of mine always visited from other schools during lunch hours and I usually skipped out on lunch just to borrow their cars and drive. It was a bitch at first cos every car I drove always felt slightly different so I never really got the hang of things. Then after a year or so of not driving stick I stepped up to Rages porsche and what a learning experience.

But like everyone here says, practice makes perfect.

bol
07-12-2002, 05:12 PM
It's funny how rage and MrX mention the porsche as a big learning curve. The first car I learned on was a '76 911 so you two can understand how hard that was. After that car everything else seems pretty easy in comparision.

MrX
07-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by bol
It's funny how rage and MrX mention the porsche as a big learning curve. The first car I learned on was a '76 911 so you two can understand how hard that was. After that car everything else seems pretty easy in comparision.

no doubt. I actually still have trouble driving Japanese 5spd cars just cos the pedal feel is so different from euro cars.

bol
07-12-2002, 05:19 PM
No kidding. The clutch in japanese cars is like butter compared to most euro cars. BMW's older clutches were pretty nice too(E30, E36...) but the E46's clutch is the most non-linear nasty thing with the exception of the E46 M3

Ben
07-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Pressing my clutch is like bending a 2x4

E36M3
07-12-2002, 06:12 PM
I learned to drive a standard on a 1987 Ford Tempo.. and stalled quite a few times. Did pretty well until years later when I got my BMW M3, and stalled a few times learning the clutch.

Clutches that are designed for high-torque vehicles are something else..

RCBVtec
07-13-2002, 08:44 AM
I learned when I was 14 on my parents Z24... my dad took me out after about a week of driving... he started me on a slight hill and progressed to stepper ones... if you wanna learn to drive stick that way is not fun, but you learn quick!!

Rage and MrX I have driven a 56 Porsche the clutch and gearbox were unbelievable!! WOW!! Smoothest setup I have ever been in... smooter than my prelude now!! must have changed in the years afterward...

rx-7heaven
07-13-2002, 10:45 AM
last night i tried to teach my girlfriend how to drive stick. she did amazingly well! didn't stall once...a few rough starts but with a little more practice, she's gonna be pretty good. i was impressed! she did better than me even....:(

Evan
07-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by rx-7heaven
last night i tried to teach my girlfriend how to drive stick. she did amazingly well! didn't stall once...a few rough starts but with a little more practice, she's gonna be pretty good. i was impressed! she did better than me even....:(

:rofl:

RCBVtec
07-13-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by rx-7heaven

LOL... that's funny same thing happened to me about a month back, I was teaching my fiancee how to drive stick, I was dreading it, my car has never been the "guniea pig" for new stick drivers. I was amazed though not one stall, and a couple of jerky starts... overall an amazing start... since then I have had a rough start once or twice, nothing major been driving stick now for 6 years, and she'll look over give a smile and say "that was a worse start than any of mine"...

MiNG
07-13-2002, 06:13 PM
trying to start on a hill was fuggin scary...i always worried that i was gonna roll into buddy behind me...
i once stalled 5 times before i got going on a hill...so frustrating...

Kronyk
07-13-2002, 11:17 PM
I was kind of forced into learning how to drive stick. I had my license for a few months when I was sixteen and I was on my way back from my friends house on the C-Train (Memories) and the train was going southbound by Chinook. I saw my dads 85 Golf sitting by the Macs store right beside Chinook station and figured I would get off and catch a ride with my dad, instead of having to go all the way to anderson and then catching a bus. It turns out he just finished renovating the "new" health store that used to be a Liquor store by the station. I guess one of his coworkers left a the work van and caught a ride home with someone else. Next thing I knew I was driving the glf home for my dad so he could drive the van. Before than,I had never driven stick, and had no idea the wtf I was doing. My dad just explained the basics and wished me good luck. Anyway, I managed to get it home in one piece. The first little bit was pretty tough and scary since it was about 4:30, (Rush hour), but I got through it. Now I won't drive anything but stick unless there is no other choice. Automatics are toooo boring, and you I find you don't get as much response or control of the car as you would in a standard. Sure stick can be a bit annoying during heavy traffic but it's not that bad.

The one thing I don't understand though is people that drive Mustang Gt's or Camaro SS etc/Firebird Transams that are automatic. I think its a waste of a good car.

RSeXy
07-13-2002, 11:34 PM
i learned to drive standard in MaxBoost's prelude. he was so doubtful of my skills at driving standard that he said that if i could start it up and shift from first to second gear without stalling on my very first time he would sell me the prelude for a dollar! talk about confidence huh? :madred:

well...anyways, i managed to do it!! i think he was shocked to sh*t. muahahaha

so where's my lude? huh huh huh? :devil: