PDA

View Full Version : JRSC Rattle at Idle

mrpowpow27
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
I recently noticed a slight rattle coming from the supercharger while the car idles. Sometimes (on start up) it is definitely audible and other times it is very slight. This blower was rebuilt by Jackson Racing last year (New bearings and rotor groups).

I noticed the sound before I rebuilt the blower but I could swear that it went away when I got it back. Does anyone have this experience? Should I send it in to get the bearings checked? I am very worried about this as I don't want to lose this motor...yet...LOL. Does anyone know what could cause this rattle?

And please hold off on the "Switch To Turbo" suggestions. I will not consider that as a solution at this time. I am a die hard supercharger muffa....

atomic
06-14-2006, 11:28 AM
talk to tom-sc about rebuilding .
one of my cars is also super charged, but a 1.6l super charged? :confused: .. small motor needs a turbo for real power ;)

Primer_Drift
06-14-2006, 11:47 AM
I've heard that the JRSC sometimes leak their castor oil out, which might be a reason for the rattle. Check all around the housing for any sign of a leak.. you will know if it is castor oil, it smells awful.

mrpowpow27
06-14-2006, 12:30 PM
I did notice some oil leaking along my block recently . I thought it was the oil pan gasket but I just recently replaced it and it had been pretty dry until recently. I will go back and look at things more closely. Thanks for your input..

Originally posted by Primer_Drift
I've heard that the JRSC sometimes leak their castor oil out, which might be a reason for the rattle. Check all around the housing for any sign of a leak.. you will know if it is castor oil, it smells awful.

mrpowpow27
06-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I spoke to Keith Taber at Jackson Racing about the very rough sounds/rattling I have been hearing from the blower at the lower rpms. He agrees that it is possible that the bearings have failed due to oil leakage from the blower. He is a really cool and helpful dude and he knows about the super chargers. I peeked under the car today and I noticed fresh oil along the block. I will take the blower off and send it back to him on Monday. I will definitely let you guys know my findings. I am very curious to see whats up!!!!

rc2002
06-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Pretty sure that's the problem. Did you manage to check to see how much oil was left before sending it off? If oil was low then you almost certainly did some damage to the bearings...

Remember to check the oil/change the oil regularly. You can get oil from any dealership like Mercedes, GM, etc. that runs Eaton blowers as OEM equipment in their cars.

Toms-SC
06-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Simple:
If its coming from your snout (front part of the supercharger); its the bearing behind the seal or the one closest to the rotor pack.

http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/parts/brgskit7886.jpg

When your sending you supercharger in for a 'rebuild' they are removing both front bearings (2), seal and replacing them with new units.

From the snout it could also be your coupler, the part that joins the snout to the rotor pack

http://www.texasthunderbirds.com/img/blwr/cplr7146.jpg

Some company use solid coupers, like the one above on the left. Some user two peice couplers that look similar but have a spring in place to allow for some play, one on the right. This works to silence the operation down.

After that it could be your case bearings (2).

http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/parts/bearings0065.jpg

A complete rebuild includes all of the below starting from the front of the superchager back.
http://www.texasthunderbirds.com/img/blwr/scparts7246.jpg

The GM Supercharger fluid part number is 12345982.

The more you know :clap:

mrpowpow27
06-19-2006, 06:21 AM
I took the blower off on Friday. No obvious leaks on the outside but definitely oil inside the housing and manifold. When I use my hand to spin it, I can barely hear the rattle. Of course I am not spinning it at hundreds of RPMs. I will ship it off to get it properly checked and repaired. I did not take it apart due to warranty issues. I will let JR take care of that part. I am very curious though. Maybe next time I will. I will continue to keep yall posted. Thanks!

mrpowpow27
07-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Turns out my bearings are all worn out according to Magnuson. I thought my previous rebuild warranty would cover the repairs but this might not be the case. It seems like like my warranty ran out. It is possible that I will have to shell out about $650 to get it back. Its all good... We will get going pretty soon!